Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology - Thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 scherzo!

haha, I was a bit confused. :( I wasn't sure what it was they were trying to ask, and then just had a guess and wrote: peptide, polypeptide or Protein depending on the length of the chain of amino acids..... :(

Now I can see that's NOT what they're looking for after I read what you had all put down... :o
    MY EXACT ANSWER HAHA! "Peptide, polypeptide, protein". Such a stab in the dark. I guess we tried our best though! I've been getting A's in Biology since 5th year and that question just made me sick. XD

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mwah

omg yessssss
    my predictions i got came up lol
    when i saw reflex and induced fit i was so happyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
    wasnt the iaa on last year?

i loved the paper :D

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭tracert

Anybody know when the paper goes up? I seem to be in a blanky blank mode today and I can't even remember what question I want to ask about here, but there was a couple of weird (for me) ones, not mentioned yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Xtina!!

theowen wrote: »
    :rolleyes: I don't think there was a part c? Maybe that was a different question actually. Check it online sure!

Haha okay thanks!!!:) I was worried there for a while, but obviously literally over nothing!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

Should be up by this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭chaoticmess

scherzo! wrote: »
    MY EXACT ANSWER HAHA! "Peptide, polypeptide, protein". Such a stab in the dark. I guess we tried our best though! I've been getting A's in Biology since 5th year and that question just made me sick. XD

hahaha, same! If only a continuous assessment did exist! :rolleyes:
    It was even more sickening that it wasn't that I didn't "know" the answer (about start and stop codons etc).... It's just that I didn't know that that's what they were looking for!

Stupid exam! :mad: haha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

theowen wrote: »
    I think that'll be cancelled seeing as 99% of people were like this having seen it:eek::confused::mad:

I put down start codon, stop codon, and I didn't know what to put for the third so I just said codon. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

There were 4 qs on differences between terms, think haploid and diploid, homozygous and heteozygous, genotype and phenotype and segregation and independent assortment.
    That's the one. They were quite nice actually. Think I'll be leaving out that question as a whole though, couldn't do the mRNA one and another!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

There have to be some questions that the majority found difficult in order to sort out the top students
    Indeed. I'd imagine it'd be only 3 marks anyway, one mark for every part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭IronGirl92

Mazda wrote: »
    really disappointed :( got 89% in the mock and really really wanted an A1 but not after that paper :rolleyes:

Exact same situation here. :( Eh. Shall be repeating me thinks! :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭ceol18

i actually kinda enjoyed doing that paper? weird thing to say :P but yeh..!
    was planning on avoiding genetic crosses like the plague and SO glad i was actually able to! :D i guessed the percents aha! but yeh i answered every single other question except the IAA experiment, it always kinda went over my head :/
    i took a spare paper at the end so i could look over it, and this question is STILL bugging me:

it's q10, B part (iv): "each mRNA codon specifies one of three possible outcomes during protein synthesis. Name these three possible outcomes."..............WHAA???
    other than that it was grand =) hope for a high B at least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭ceol18

NEVERMIND! i should really read the full thread before i write things haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭lalee17

I found it kinda easy, only a few short questions threw me a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Mr Cawley

If you write down a worng answer AND the correct answer, do ye think you'd get the marks for the right one?

Mr Cawley wrote: »
    If you write down a worng answer AND the correct answer, do ye think you'd get the marks for the right one?

No, they cancel each other out I'm sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

I guess if you crossed out the worng answer then you get the marks. If you didn't you wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

Jez I dunno bout you guys but I thought it was a well tricky paper, it reminded me of the French paper!

Was aiming for A1, but say I got B1..... Real disappointed with it. The long questions were so sly incorporating all aspects of that particular topic, especially Q.10. and Q.8 where they asked about up to 6 different papers was so sly.

What did ye all get for the percentages? And the mRNA question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Xtina!!

There were 4 qs on differences between terms, think haploid and diploid, homozygous and heteozygous, genotype and phenotype and segregation and independent assortment.

Ahh yes I remember now, I definately did that so!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

Wrong answer cancels a right one unfortunately.
    Also, if they ask for 2 examples and you give 3, if 2 are right and 1 wrong then you only get the marks for 1 of the right answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

It depends. If the question wants 2 answers then no, but if it only requires one answer and you give a right and a wrong, they'll cancel each other out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

Wrong answer cancels a right one unfortunately.
    Also, if they ask for 2 examples and you give 3, if 2 are right and 1 wrong then you only get the marks for 1 of the right answers.

I'm pretty sure that's only for section A...

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

It depends. If the question wants 2 answers then no, but if it only requires one answer and you give a right and a wrong, they'll cancel each other out.

if it said one way which a knowledge of dormancy helps farmers, and I put two ways, but only one is right, I get no marks?
    Whats the case for Q's like that where there is more than one possible answer?

For Hypothesis, I put down: an explanation (or best guess) based on observation

Would I lose marks for the words in brackets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭ummtea

What blood vessel brings blood to the liver? The Aorta?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Dacentdee

duno bout ye, but i love question eight! it was like 6 part a)'s :) for the genetics crosses question i worked out the last percent as being 50% , but that was already there so just threw down 25% ..doh:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I thought it was difficult enough, answered all of the questions so they'll pick my best ones. I love biology so a little dissapointed that I won't get the A but it was my last test so not going to dwell too much!

ummtea wrote: »
    What blood vessel brings blood to the liver? The Aorta?

No! The Hepatic Artery.

Dacentdee wrote: »
    duno bout ye, but i love question eight! it was like 6 part a)'s :) for the genetics crosses question i worked out the last percent as being 50% , but that was already there so just threw down 25% ..doh:P

Question 8 was ridiculous. I started it at 12.20 and got it finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭EvilLlamaThingy

It was absolutely lovely apart from some awkward phrasing =D I'd say at worst I got a B1 ^_^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭ummtea

No! The Hepatic Artery.

Ohh that's grand thanks! I put down Hepatic Artery and put a line through it. Hopefully they'll mark it. :/

• Advertisement

ummtea wrote: »
    Ohh that's grand thanks! I put down Hepatic Artery and put a line through it. Hopefully they'll mark it. :/

Did you write another answer with it? A wrong answer and a correct one will cancel each other out.

Advertisement