Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology - Thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭ummtea

Did you write another answer with it? A wrong answer and a correct one will cancel each other out.

Yeah I wrote Aorta. Wouldn't Aorta be generally correct since the Hepatic Artery stems from it though?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭lc2010

I thought it was fine, I wouldn't say piss easy but wasn't too hard, I didn't like the long DNA q so I did 5. Was definitely harder than previous years but I think(hope!!:o) I still got an A1!
    The shorts and experiments were pretty nice!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Did you write another answer with it? A wrong answer and a correct one will cancel each other out.

but if you cancel a wrong answer by putting a line through it then surely they cannot deduct marks?

ummtea wrote: »
    Yeah I wrote Aorta. Wouldn't Aorta be generally correct since the Hepatic Artery stems from it though?

Dont think so as pretty much every artery apart from the one which goes to the lungs branches off the aorta. sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

I'm hoping to get my mock grade anyway, a B3.
    The paper was ok, thought it was a pinch mean the way TWO of the Section A questions were on Microbiology, didn't see that coming though?!

Was hit by a moment of inspiration 10mins before the exams to look over the heart experiment and was delighted!?! :D

Did every question except Q13, not because I'm supersticious, just didn't like the look of the plant stuff!?

Overall it was a nice paper, and even if you don't agree.. sure the sticky flap is now sealed forever (.. well till the examiner opens it?. :P )

2 exams to go

Happy (Almost) Summer everyone!?

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Ashashi

Answered all of the long questions, all of the parts to the 14 and 15, was a brilliant paper. Shorts were a bit of a pain, bloody ameoba and I always mix up the ecology stuff, but overall pretty happy with it.

waffled my way through the heart experiment, and the hypthesis one was the eaisest experiment I have every seen. Beauty of a paper. Got an A1 in the mock, so hopefully got one here :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

pathway33 wrote: »
    but if you cancel a wrong answer by putting a line through it then surely they cannot deduct marks?

He wrote the right answer, cancelled it and put a wrong answer. They can't deduct for a wrong cancelled answer if you then put the right one down, but you it works the other way too, in that you can't gain marks from a cancelled right answer if you put a wrong one down next to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Kylzer911

Amoeba - Progametangium = B , i hope, there legs basically...? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭ummtea

lc2010 wrote: »
    Dont think so as pretty much every artery apart from the one which goes to the lungs branches off the aorta. sorry!

haha very true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭A19B1C12

I found myself guessing a fair few answers but I reckon I may have got a "D/C"...hopefully anyway! I hope I answered the questions right but I thought those true or false part C's were very handy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 drurz57

yano when they askd for an example of diffusion in the human body i said "salt diffuses into the asending loop of henle in the nephron in the kidney in the human body" will that get me my marks or am i wrong?

Kylzer911 wrote: »

That ameoba bastard, pain in the whole :P

pseudopodia :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 bearcub

it was ok . fairly confident on my A1.

thought it was a bit awkwardly phrased in parts. particularly the heart dissection.

well needed more space for the IAA experiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Pseudopodia

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Eluminous

Fairly nice paper, but some really wtf! phrasing, like the "outcomes" of protein synthesis?

15 (c) too was a bit wierd.

I said psuedopods, if I don't that, I will burn down the SEC.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 TowlieMcD

what did everyone say for the question about the virus and the swine flu and about young people being more susceptible? apart from that the paper was fine
    A1 in the bag! (joke! would be disappointed with anything below a B1 though tbh)

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭PARARORY

That part in the dna question about the 3 options was horribly worded!
    The second part made up for it - write a sentence about each of heterozygous etc...

The reflex arc/hormone question was a nice...

Enzyme question was fine as well!

Photosynthesis q was perfect , hopefully 30/30 marks for it...

Just one question , it gets the H from the NADPH and the ssimple compund that gives energy is the ATP right??

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Kylzer911

sake.

• Advertisement

PARARORY wrote: »
    That part in the dna question about the 3 options was horribly worded!
    The second part made up for it - write a sentence about each of heterozygous etc...

The reflex arc/hormone question was a nice...

Enzyme question was fine as well!

Photosynthesis q was perfect , hopefully 30/30 marks for it...

Just one question , it gets the H from the NADPH and the ssimple compund that gives energy is the ATP right??

It gets the H from the splitting of water in the light stage, and energy from ATP. IN the Dark stage it get's the H from NADPH

Ashashi wrote: »
    I said psuedopods, if I don't that, I will burn down the SEC.

You Have to get that!! Its like saying mitochondrions for mitochondria!!

If you don't Ill join you in burnin the place down!!!lol;)

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭PARARORY

It gets the H from the splitting of water in the light stage, and energy from ATP. IN the Dark stage it get's the H from NADPH

I thought it asked where did it get it for the dark stage?
    Because NADPH breaks down to protons (H) etc...

It asked where it got the energy for the dark stage reaction... answer: ATP. NADPH is used for protons and electrons, not energy :D

Ah here.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

Ashashi wrote: »

Where did ya say it got the electrons from? Splitting of water also?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mwah

oh no :( i dont remember it asking about the dark stage

stainluss wrote: »
    Where did ya say it got the electrons from? Splitting of water also?

I cannot remember if I said where, I just said electrons pass through enzymes to convert Adp to ATP and all that lark.

Yeah, it asked Light Stage I am fairly sure. I called the first stage cyclic photophosphorilation the first time....... then changed it to light stage.

I don't even know what that is, it just sounded... biological at the time....:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 cweeva

NADPH is right isn't it.. cause it asked what simple molecule did it get the H from for the formation of glucose in the second stage of photosynthesis........

Btw i'll be joining ye if we don't get Pseudopods!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

cweeva wrote: »
    NADPH is right isn't it.. cause it asked what simple molecule did it get the H from for the formation of glucose in the second stage of photosynthesis........

**** I said splitting of water, sounds like NADPH is right, though:(

Advertisement