Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology - Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭PARARORY

It asked where it got the energy for the dark stage reaction... answer: ATP. NADPH is used for protons and electrons, not energy

Yeah I got that part right.......
    Just one question , it gets the H from the NADPH and the simple compund that gives energy is the ATP right??

I was asking about the first part. ;)

It gets the H from the splitting of water in the light stage, and energy from ATP. IN the Dark stage it get's the H from NADPH

NADPH delivers electrons and a proton to CO2 (NADP ? NADP+ + 2e- + H+)

**** I said splitting of water, sounds like NADPH is right, though

and
    NADPH is right isn't it..

Yes it is!

* Love when people say other people are wrong , are rude about it , then turns out they are wrong themselves... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

Will ye chill the fúck out it's only worth about 3 marks!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Ashashi

Did it say second stage? I amn't sure, ah well it would only be worth 3 marks anyway. I hope.

Did it say second stage? I amn't sure, ah well it would only be worth 3 marks anyway. I hope.

Yeh it did , and yeah it would only be 3 marks so its not big deal :)

• Advertisement

Meh, will check later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 casadenikki

era sure the H in the NAPDH comes from the H in the water so tis all the same :rolleyes:

question 12 had to be the biggest joke of a question ever, so you could do that without ever going to a class in your life:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Dacentdee

hmmm when it said simple compound for the electrons i just said water, h2o?didn mention photolyisis lik? .... i know its only three marks, but three marks can turn into thirty marks very easily....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

After the exam everyone was discussing how badly they drew the male reproductive system :pac:

After the exam everyone was discussing how badly they drew the male reproductive system

Our teacher this morning giving us advice if it comes up ; " Just look down boys , look down!! " - Shes female btw =)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Indigo Sunrise

I thought i was screwed when I opened the paper and saw the experiments. I didn't study the IAA exp at all and I didn't even do the exp at school, and I also hate the heart exp. I managed to answer the heart q fairly well though, and I just wrote down some crap for the IAA. Then I saw the amoeba q and that put me off too.
    Once I got into it it was fine though. I was quite happy with the rest of the paper though and I did every singe question.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭MiamiMortimer

I really, really loved that paper! I was worried about the really long processes of respiration/protein synthesis/photosynthesis they seem to ask every year, and in different questions so that you can't avoid them all. This year, all they seemed to have was one on protein synthesis which I skipped as a question! (At least, as far as I remember. I didn't leave anything out and I did all short questions...)
    So that was a MAJOR bonus!

And the heart came up! I did a quite detailed diagram of the inside and outside of the heart but I couldn't remember where exactly the tricuspid valves were as opposed to the other valves, so I guessed...and it was right! Thrilled to bits, needed this subject to go right after my personal English (but non-Boland related) fiasco! :)

Hopefully I'm not completely wrong anyway... :) Always cautious about being too loudly hopeful! Probably be the subject that went totally wrong!

Didn't like the bacteria long question, I have to say. I answered all parts with as much logic as I could, but there's no way of knowing if it was right...

• Registered Users Posts: 49 The Cool One

Is the active site theory also known as the induced fit theory or are they different things?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭MiamiMortimer

seanbmc wrote: »
    After the exam everyone was discussing how badly they drew the male reproductive system :pac:

Heehee, the (male) examiner kept walking past when I was drawing it, embarrassing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭chaoticmess

ceol18 wrote: »
    i took a spare paper at the end so i could look over it

I didn't know you were allowed to do that! Wish I'd known..! :rolleyes:

TowlieMcD wrote: »
    what did everyone say for the question about the virus and the swine flu and about young people being more susceptible?

I said that over time memory B cells and memory T cells build up immunity to certain antigens, and that the swine flu was a mix between a dew different strains of flu so some antigens may be the same and an older person may have already developed an immunity where a younger person may not.
    It's probably wrong though. :(
    stainluss wrote: »
    Where did ya say it got the electrons from? Splitting of water also?

I said that the H came from NADPH, which originally came from H20.
    The electron didn't come from the H20 - that electron is the one that goes back to the chlorophyll. The electron came from the ATP. :)
    seanbmc wrote: »
    PARARORY wrote: »
    Our teacher this morning giving us advice if it comes up ; " Just look down boys , look down!! " - Shes female btw =)
    Heehee, the (male) examiner kept walking past when I was drawing it, embarrassing!

hahahaha! So funny. And that happened to me too - the male examiner kept walking past! And I was sat right near the door and about half the room decided they were going to leave at the same time - while I was really badly drawing this diagram! :o

On a good note though, at least the examiner will know think that we're all goody goodies who's not "studied" the male reproductive system too much! :p haha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭johndoe91

what did people think about the ecology question....especially the last bit about the only natural ecosystem in ireland being the moutains and salt....that humans have no use for!?
    and the HIV/Aids thing about the orphans!???

heard some strange ones for that like....

people dont like in sub sahara because its basically grassland/desert....

or that there wouldnt be many orphans because if the parents had died of aids the kids would have as well!

...i just said that true because its rampant in africa and there is no cure for it!

I said that AIDS effects the immune system, and parents die due to very common diseases, leaving many children as orphans. The herbivores on was a bit of a trick, cause they aren't as many predators as herbivores, but i said it was false, because they are prey for predators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Indigo Sunrise

Even though it sounds easy, I couldn't think of a tissue in animals :/ I wrote down contractile tissue in the end. Is that right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

Ashashi wrote: »
    I said that AIDS effects the immune system, and parents die due to very common diseases, leaving many children as orphans. The herbivores on was a bit of a trick, cause they aren't as many predators as herbivores, but i said it was false, because they are prey for predators.

I said true, because there is usually a good food supply which is easier to get than hunting other animals :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 OConallain

stainluss wrote: »
    I felt, even though it was more difficult than previous papers, (Section A in particular - %'s without punnet squares??) I hope that I got an A1..

Im going to look back over the paper when its up with my book and see how many marks I could I have lost in total (Hopefully not over 60:)) Im more confident because I did all of Section C.

Never did IAA so skipped it, but I liked the fact that 8 wasnt even an experiment Q, just general bits and bobs;)

Hope ye liked it too:D

Would we be marked much harder/easier depending on how people did?
    Does this 'bell curve' thing have much impact on your grade?
    I doubt it could that much for Biology:confused:

This reminds me, was that ribosomes or food thingys in the amoeba? (I said ribosomes, I dont even know if they have them..)

That bell curve applies to all subject so if everybody did reali bad then they'll acept a wider range of answers. and yes, an amaobe has ribosomes but what the exam asked was food vacuoles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭johndoe91

I said true, because there is usually a good food supply which is easier to get than hunting other animals :pac:

i think for those last few like the herbivores, aids and the natural ecosystems they were just looking for your ability to make a point and back it up....because like for all 3 of them dont think there was a "right answer"!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭JoeyBuddy

Thought it was good.
    2nd experiment was lovely.

Didn't do the ecology question for once, it seemed really weird.
    Short questions were grand.

Nice question on male reproduction system. That was pretty handy.
    Hopefully got a B1.
    An A2 isn't completely out of the question either. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭A19B1C12

What was the Inverse Pyramid of Numbers actually?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

I'm so depressed wah wah wah. Always regarded biology as a definite A1, worked really hard, thought I was going to do really well.... But it went pretty badly, so yeah, I'll probably lose around 10-15 points I thought I'd be getting :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭starry nights

What percentages did people get actually?

persume yer on about the shortQ

i got three 50% and one 75%

what did others get?

johndoe91 wrote: »
    i think for those last few like the herbivores, aids and the natural ecosystems they were just looking for your ability to make a point and back it up....because like for all 3 of them dont think there was a "right answer"!

i agree...
    like for herbivores i said false cos forests are cut down, lants dying, drought etc....... but the other side could be as easily argued...

i think its one of those questions that valid arguments are rewarded

Even though it sounds easy, I couldn't think of a tissue in animals :/ I wrote down contractile tissue in the end. Is that right?

i know! i was the same, i went blank....
    i said epidermis in the skin

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭JoeyBuddy

i know! i was the same, i went blank....
    i said epidermis in the skin
    I said blood. Would that be right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭A19B1C12

persume yer on about the shortQ

i got three 50% and one 75%

what did others get?
    I got 100%, 25%, 75% and 50% but I could well be wrong? - Not sure about the 25% at all...

Advertisement