Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology - Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭MiamiMortimer

persume yer on about the shortQ

i got three 50% and one 75%

what did others get?

I got 100% for the first one, wrote 50% at first but then went back and noticed the genotypes were all the same, so got 100%! Don't know if it's right...think it might be though, it fooled me at first....wish they'd post the papers so I could recheck...

Otherwise, I think I got the same answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Indigo Sunrise

I got 100, 50, 75, 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mwah

i just guessed all them

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Ashashi

I got 100, 50, 75, 50.

I got this as well, I just did out a little pinnot square in pencil beside it.

Ashashi wrote: »
    I said that AIDS effects the immune system, and parents die due to very common diseases, leaving many children as orphans. The herbivores on was a bit of a trick, cause they aren't as many predators as herbivores, but i said it was false, because they are prey for predators.

Yeah, I said the same-'opportunistic' diseases I called 'em! :)

And for the swine flu one, I mentioned the part about young people having no antibodies or resistence, but then I also said that in young people the cells' metabolism is faster and since the viruses use the host cells' energy to replicate, it speeds up the progress of the virus in young people faster than it does in older people, whose metabolism is slower...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭JoeyBuddy

Mwah wrote: »
    i just guessed all them

Same. Probably got 0 in that question. :D
    At least I attempted all the others too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭PARARORY

I got 100, 50, 75, 50

Thats what i got and my teacher said thats right when we saw her after the exam :D wooh thats 5 % of the total paper sorted at least...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭starry nights

ummtea wrote: »
    What blood vessel brings blood to the liver? The Aorta?

hepatic artery

JoeyBuddy wrote: »
    I said blood. Would that be right?

ehhh.... i don't think so... i know where yer coming from but its really stretching it. but i could be wrong

PARARORY wrote: »
    Thats what i got and my teacher said thats right when we saw her after the exam :D wooh thats 5 % of the total paper sorted at least...

i got 50, 50, 75, 50.....

how the hell did i manage that.....

i'll have a reread of the paper in a bit (yes i handed it up, just asked for another at the end)

• Advertisement

Yeah, I said the same-'opportunistic' diseases I called 'em! :)

And for the swine flu one, I mentioned the part about young people having no antibodies or resistence, but then I also said that in young people the cells' metabolism is faster and since the viruses use the host cells' energy to replicate, it speeds up the progress of the virus in young people faster than it does in older people, whose metabolism is slower...

the lecture for microbiology on trinity open day helped me on that one lol.
    i said older people had suffered from different forms of the flu before therefore they were quicker to respond to the swine flue. whereas for us young ones, we're brand new and shiney to it. lol:p

I got 100% for the first one, wrote 50% at first but then went back and noticed the genotypes were all the same, so got 100%! Don't know if it's right...think it might be though, it fooled me at first....wish they'd post the papers so I could recheck...

Otherwise, I think I got the same answers.

bollox it anyway. lol
    im not feeling too good about getting me A1.... bye bye medicine :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭EvilLlamaThingy

"(iii) The only remaining natural ecosystems in Ireland, for example mountain land above the heather
    line and salt marsh, are ones for which mankind has no use."

What did people put down for this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

For the tissue question I read it as asking for a tissue type, as in connective, epithelial etc.

I gave connective tissue and an example, maybe it's not what they were looking for but meh, would be surprised not to get the marks

"(iii) The only remaining natural ecosystems in Ireland, for example mountain land above the heather

I said it was false, as there are many natural ecosystems which have been carefully conserved and protected in Ireland today, e.g Killarney National Park. These areas are protected but allowed to flourish and the public can benefit from observing the creatures within their habitat.

i think it was a seriously weird paper... does anyone agree?
    like it wasnt horrible, but no walk in the park either.
    the short Qs i found hard enough cos i hadnt the amobea studied and the ecology definitions i could hardly remember....

the experiments were soooo nice.... did all. IAA is marked easy usually

the long Qs were ok.... but very mixed up, like im glad i studied nearly everything 3 times over, but i thought loads of Qs required long answers which is odd....anyones else find that??

oh and i had to draw 3 penis's till i got the one that was juuust right ;)
    my examiner gave me weird looks lol.

i hope i got the A1 though, need it since geography screwed me over.

For the tissue question I read it as asking for a tissue type, as in connective, epithelial etc.

I gave connective tissue and an example, maybe it's not what they were looking for but meh, would be surprised not to get the marks

I think you're right. I said dermal tissue though, and gave a function. For the plant one I said vascular tissue and gave the examples of xylem and phloem with their functions.

I agree starry nights, I was happy with how it went and would be disappointed not to get the A1 but it was a tougher paper than in recent years IMO. A lot of variation and not to our advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭MonTheBiffy

bollox it anyway. lol
    im not feeling too good about getting me A1.... bye bye medicine :(

I dont mean too be a dick but good. If you cant get an A1 in Leaving Cert you cannot be allowed become a doctor. Harsh but its peoples lives you deal with. You either know it entirelyor you dont do it. Im sure there are plenty of doctors out there who did bad in Biology and thats also why we have idiots trying to kill perfectly healthy babies.

And you gotta love tha babies.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 cleirigh06

For my question on a sensory disorder I said Parkinson's Disease
    Treatment - Nintendo 'Brain Training' :o

• Advertisement

I said true, because if there was a use, it would have been extracted for it's useful resources, and then gave the example of forests and bogs.

I think on the marking scheme, it would say "appropriate answer"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭EvilLlamaThingy

I said it was false, as there are many natural ecosystems which have been carefully conserved and protected in Ireland today, e.g Killarney National Park. These areas are protected but allowed to flourish and the public can benefit from observing the creatures within their habitat.

Ah right. Thanks. Me and a friend were talking about that one because the phrasing made us both interpret it quite differently... The phrasing in this paper was the toughest thing imo.
    I said true, because if there was a use, it would have been extracted for it's useful resources, and then gave the example of forests and bogs.

I think on the marking scheme, it would say "appropriate answer"

I had that too :)

cleirigh06 wrote: »
    For my question on a sensory disorder I said Parkinson's Disease
    Treatment - Nintendo 'Brain Training' :o

Genuinely made me laugh that, thanks :)

I agree starry nights, I was happy with how it went and would be disappointed not to get the A1 but it was a tougher paper than in recent years IMO. A lot of variation and not to our advantage.

yeah exactly, they dragged in a lot of the course in the entire paper... which is fair cos some people only study a few topics and get A1s.
    im praying i got the A1, im repeating for medicine so i need it!!

Ah sure, I'd say Ashashi's right, any logical answer should be perfectly acceptable so long as it's backed up!

The food chain and whether it is usually short gave me a bit of a fright...I said false, because food chains can be quite complex and long, but it was also worth noting the difference in energy carried between the trophic levels...hope that'll be okay. I didn't know whether food chains were long or short, to be honest.... :o

Parhorry, sorry if I got your name wrong, you were right, it asked what simple compound gives H to produce Carbohydrates, so NADPH is right. The paper is up now as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 roll on summer 10!

Weird is how i would describe it, really wanted an A1 but I'd say I got a B1, but watevs, at least it's over.

The paper is up now as well.

Ooooh! *Goes to check genetics short question*

Ooooh! *Goes to check genetics short question*

Looking back, I think I may have gotten an A2 or A1. Fingers crossed anyway :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

That was a lovely paper IMO, delighted with how it went, just have to keep my fingers crossed for an A1 now!

Probably jinxed myself there, but oh well :o

Advertisement