Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology - Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭PARARORY

Parhorry, sorry if I got your name wrong, you were right, it asked what simple compound gives H to produce Carbohydrates, so NADPH is right. The paper is up now as well.

No worries :)

Totally agree with the comments saying it was a "weird" paper , everything seemed so jumbled up definitely one of those papers where if you left out chapers you could be really screwed!

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

Happy enough with it :) very nice paper!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭MiamiMortimer

I liked the experiment with all the bits in it, though. You know, the one asking you all sorts of random parts of experiments you either know or don't know? I liked not having to go into measurements and apparatus in detail-I liked jotting stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Hatred

I did alright. Was hoping for an A but probably got a high B. still thats plenty of points :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 sarahisdeadly

I dont mean too be a dick but good. If you cant get an A1 in Leaving Cert you cannot be allowed become a doctor. Harsh but its peoples lives you deal with. You either know it entirelyor you dont do it. Im sure there are plenty of doctors out there who did bad in Biology and thats also why we have idiots trying to kill perfectly healthy babies.

And you gotta love tha babies.:pac:

That's a bit harsh.
    I seriously doubt that if those docters had known all about the sexual reproductive sytems of plants it would have helped.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Indigo Sunrise

I liked the experiment with all the bits in it, though. You know, the one asking you all sorts of random parts of experiments you either know or don't know? I liked not having to go into measurements and apparatus in detail-I liked jotting stuff!

I don't think you have to do measurements anyway. Like you don't have to stay "I added in 5ml of X and 10ml of Y"etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭MiamiMortimer

Ahhhh crap. I wrote that the heart was found in the 'thorassic' cavity, not the 'thoracic' cavity!!! I hope the examiners are kind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭A19B1C12

Is tissue culture taking tissue from one part of the body to serve another?

And is tissue there to protect? I also said meristematic was tissue in plants. Are these right?

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

Stupid question warning...

9 (b) What plant tissue did you use? - seed? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Hatred

Ahhhh crap. I wrote that the heart was found in the 'thorassic' cavity, not the 'thoracic' cavity!!! I hope the examiners are kind!
    I wrote chest cavity :P

I'm hoping they are really kind....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Ashashi

Stupid question warning...

9 (b) What plant tissue did you use? - seed? :confused:

Actually that confused me as well, I just said cress seed... Also I said abdomen for the cavity, cause I was clueless :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭starry nights

That's a bit harsh.
    I seriously doubt that if those docters had known all about the sexual reproductive sytems of plants it would have helped.

yeah, ah sure some people just like being mean. i know i'll make a great doc. And no, i doubt know how plants reproduce will help people, unless somehow it happens inside someones body... :p

Tissue culture is the method of growing cells outside of an organism.
    About protection, it depends on the tissue, ot sure about that answer for plants, i'd have said ground/vascular/dermal.

As for chest cavity, that should get the marks

johnb03 wrote: »
    Is tissue culture taking tissue from one part of the body to serve another?

And is tissue there to protect? I also said meristematic was tissue in plants. Are these right?

tissue culture is growing tissues in the lab for medical purposes.

meristematic is a tissue yes.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

Right. Here is the paper. http://examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2010/LC025ALP000EV.pdf

The first genetics question. Somebody please explain to me how you got 100%. I cannot work it out. I got all the other ones right.

Right. Here is the paper. http://examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2010/LC025ALP000EV.pdf

The first genetics question. Somebody please explain to me how you got 100%. I cannot work it out. I got all the other ones right.

SAME!!! i got 50%

cos FFxFf =

F;F x F;f =

FF; Ff; FF; Ff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭lallychops

opened the paper and there was definitely something odd about it....didnt look like many of he past papers id ever seen....genetics was nasty.... protein synthsis? not even true genetics......also i didnt think it was that fairly spaced....not even 1 fully reliable question appeared.....all mixed and matched.....yuck is all i can say to that......

BB x Bb = BB, Bb, BB, Bb.. 100%

It said that full wings was dominant to vestigial. Because the cross was with homozygous dominant and heterozygous parents the only possibilities of offspring were homozygous dominant and heterozygous, and the heterozygous condition will also have full wings because it is the dominant allele of the two. So they both have full wings, 100%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Indigo Sunrise

D-full wings, d-vest
    parents: DD(homozygous for full wings) x Dd (heterozygous)
    gametes: D x D, d
    offspring: DD, Dd
    both results have full wings so it's 100%

That's what I did anyway. Dunno why I used the letter D but whatever :D

• Advertisement

SAME!!! i got 50%

cos FFxFf =

F;F x F;f =

FF; Ff; FF; Ff

That's 100% ;)

All are expressing the dominant phenotype

Ah shít. Ye're right. 100% it is. Don't know how I didn't get that. Cheers lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭lallychops

It said that full wings was dominant to vestigial. Because the cross was with homozygous dominant and heterozygous parents the only possibilities of offspring were homozygous dominant and heterozygous, and the heterozygous condition will also have full wings because it is the dominant allele of the two. So they both have full wings, 100%

did yo think that for the amount of work you had to do to get that out its hardly worth the marks their gonna give???

lallychops wrote: »
    did yo think that for the amount of work you had to do to get that out its hardly worth the marks their gonna give???

Took 5 mins for 5% of the paper, i'd say it was absolutely worth it

lallychops wrote: »

Hate to break it to you, but marks add up to points and points add up to college courses.

BB x Bb = BB, Bb, BB, Bb.. 100%

you're wrong.... if thats the dalmation one you're doing....
    it says the two parents are heterozygous =

Bb x Bb=

B; b x B;b =

BB; Bb; Bb; bb

therefoe 75% black

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭A19B1C12

tissue culture is growing tissues in the lab for medical purposes.

meristematic is a tissue yes.:)
    Ah crap...no marks for tissue culture then:(

Said it was used to prevent injuries :L

I was doing the first one, I thought that's the one you wanted explained?

I know the dalmation one was 75%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

Well I failed or else i got a D3/2! But thats to be expected, i mainly studied photosynthesis, ecology and the nephron and male reproduction. well i say "mainly", thats all i studied. and i could barely do the questions.

The short Qs were ok, loved the ecology one, never studied amoeba so i bullsh*ted it!

The experiments.. wel i didnt bother studying the heart one coz i didnt think it would come up, how wrong was i! i made it up...

the one with the number of experiment Qs in one was grand i could answer that!

my teacher never got around to the plant experiment so i didnt have the slightest clue!!!

i did the ecology question, that was ok, then did the photosyntheses one, i ended up writing like a page for when it asked to describe the pathway 1 and 2, so stupid only worth little marks :L

over all i did ****... did anyone else fail with me?D:

• Advertisement

Hmm...I said thorax for the cavity, would that be counted as right dya think?

Advertisement