Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology - Thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭lallychops

Hate to break it to you, but marks add up to points and points add up to college courses.

yeah but if you did all the short questions right and just guessed that one youd still get the same marks as if u hadnt done it ie) a waste of time spent on aother questions....unless u couldnt do the other short qs that is....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭starry nights

That's 100% ;)

All are expressing the dominant phenotype

damnit... need to get some sleep!!
    cross and all was right just didnt spot the obvious

I was doing the first one, I thought that's the one you wanted explained?

I know the dalmation one was 75%

lol, soz, thought it was the black spots one cos of the Bs

damnit... need to get some sleep!!
    cross and all was right just didnt spot the obvious
    Don't worry about it, I didn't cop it immediately and then realised it and changed my answer. It'll only be worth like 3 marks anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

Oh and what was with the photosynthesis thing, it said the general equation for carbohydrates and then asked something weird, i was like o.o what

and then omg what are the codon things for rna?! i dont even know what a codon in -.-

• Advertisement

Don't worry about it, I didn't cop it immediately and then realised it and changed my answer. It'll only be worth like 3 marks anyway.

hope so!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭ceol18

ahhh crap reading all this i didn't do half as well as i thought i did :/

ceol18 wrote: »
    Me too, i read one page and read the answers to the questions i though i got right.. ive stopped reading them now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭johndoe91

ehhh.... i don't think so... i know where yer coming from but its really stretching it. but i could be wrong

actually that's right blood is a connective tissue......so are bones......connective tissue are tissues where you find living things in a non living matrix!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭ummtea

Hmm...I said thorax for the cavity, would that be counted as right dya think?

I said Thorax as well. They should take it really. Unless they're being total sticklers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

ummtea wrote: »
    I said Thorax as well. They should take it really. Unless they're being total sticklers.
    Sometimes they can be very precise, I wrote ligase instead of ligation last year and go no marks for it. They can be total pr1cks sometimes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

ummtea wrote: »

I said Rib Cage. I'll probably get nowt for that.

I said rib cage too, i had no idea, then in the last minute i was like, *lightbulb flash* rib cage? but i guess my lightbulb was wrong

Lawliet wrote: »
    Sometimes they can be very precise, I wrote ligase instead of ligation last year and go no marks for it. They can be total pr1cks sometimes...
    It's basically the same thing though...oh well I did all 3 exps so not worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

Was it not thoracic cavity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Cliodhna.

muffinz wrote: »
    Oh and what was with the photosynthesis thing, it said the general equation for carbohydrates and then asked something weird, i was like o.o what

and then omg what are the codon things for rna?! i dont even know what a codon in -.-

This?->
    (iv) 1. In the second stage of photosynthesis compounds of the general formula Cx(H2O)y are
    formed. What name is given to this group of compounds?
    2. From which simple compound does the plant obtain the H used to make compounds of
    general formula Cx(H2O)y?

I think the general agreement is that its NADPH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭johndoe91

Hatred wrote: »
    I wrote chest cavity :P

I'm hoping they are really kind....
    Ahhhh crap. I wrote that the heart was found in the 'thorassic' cavity, not the 'thoracic' cavity!!! I hope the examiners are kind!
    Lawliet wrote: »

yeah but like ligase is very different from ligation (ones a enzyme anf the other is a process!) whereas thorax by definition is the area between your head and your abdomen....i wrote down thorasic instead of throracic like lots of people didnt even get it so im sure they shouldnt mind it!

Cliodhna. wrote: »
    This?->
    (iv) 1. In the second stage of photosynthesis compounds of the general formula Cx(H2O)y are
    formed. What name is given to this group of compounds?
    2. From which simple compound does the plant obtain the H used to make compounds of

I think the general agreement is that its NADPH
    Yeah I figured that because the next question used similar wording and its answer was ATP so...I had orginally written 'water' but I changed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭ummtea

Was it not thoracic cavity?

It certainly was!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Hatred

Since when is NADPH a 'simple compound'? the answer is definatly water.
    Although Biology IMO is a the worst science for the questions. Its ridiculous and it always throws me off.

Was just about to post something similar to Hatred...

It's faulty logic, but the fact it said simple molecule is what made me certain it was H20, and i'm still convinced. When they ask for a simple molecule in Bio it's almost always Water, Oxygen or Carbon Dioxide... Call me crazy, but I expect Water to be the correct answer.

Feel free to quote this post in the future if i'm wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mwah

ceol18 wrote: »
    muffinz wrote: »
    Me too, i read one page and read the answers to the questions i though i got right.. ive stopped reading them now :(

yeah same i was thinking maybe a b3
    now ill probs get my mock result again :(

i think i said the vena cava :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

That was my thinking, water being a much simpler compound I figured it had to be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mwah

Although Biology IMO is a the worst science for the questions. Its ridiculous and it always throws me off.
    Was just about to post something similar to Hatred...

It's faulty logiv, but the fact it said simple molecule is what made me certain it was H20, and i'm still convnced. When they ask for a simple molecule in Bio it's almost always Water, Oxygen or Carbon Dioxide... Call me crazy, but I expect Water to be the correct answer.

Feel free to quote this post in the future if i'm wrong!

omg i said water!!!! everyone laughed at me afterwards for it

It wasn't very clearly worded. Perhaps the marking scheme will reflect that.

Mwah wrote: »
    omg i said water!!!! everyone laughed at me afterwards for it

That's silly, even if it turns out to be incorrect it was a very plausible guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Lib23

I concure it is H20. Did anyone get this Q: (iv) Each mRNA codon specifies one of three possible outcomes during protein synthesis.
    Name these three possible outcomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Ashashi

That's silly, even if it turns out to be incorrect it was a very plausible guess

If you think about it, water is needed to form NADPH in the first place, without water, it wouldn't be formed, so technically, TECHNICALLY, it is right. Clutching at straws here.... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭PARARORY

It wasn't very clearly worded. Perhaps the marking scheme will reflect that.

They might change it to accept both H20 and NADPH... Hopefully :D Bad wording of the question to be honest , it implied that they were asking what supplied the protons in the Dark Stage - which would be the breakdown of NADPH

If you think about it they are both right , just depends on how far they are willing to stretch the term "simple compound"...

Also , for the question on name an animal tissue - dya think you would get away with Adipose Tissue? - Its only found in animals so I thought It would be ok?

Advertisement