Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology - Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

Lib23 wrote: »
    I concure it is H20. Did anyone get this Q: (iv) Each mRNA codon specifies one of three possible outcomes during protein synthesis.
    Name these three possible outcomes.

I (and others) think it's stop, start and code/read/add amino acid

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Hatred

Also I'd like to note it said how the PLANT obtained the H. A plant can't get H from NADPH because NADPH is always apart of it.

Hopefully I'm right :P Because I did **** overall compared to how I normally do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Cliodhna.

Was just about to post something similar to Hatred...

It's faulty logic, but the fact it said simple molecule is what made me certain it was H20, and i'm still convinced. When they ask for a simple molecule in Bio it's almost always Water, Oxygen or Carbon Dioxide... Call me crazy, but I expect Water to be the correct answer.

Feel free to quote this post in the future if i'm wrong!

but then the next part is:

Name the simple compound that supplies the necessary energy for the second stage reactions.

which i'm presuming can only be ATP so then their callin that a simple molecule? Id say they'll accept both?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Aisling x

i think the answer to the MRNA question was a start codon, a coding region (contains the information on how to construct a protein) and a stop codon...

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

Equally, any time they ask for a compound which supplies energy it's always ATP... :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭chaoticmess

Hatred wrote: »
    2. From which simple compound does the plant obtain the H used to make compounds of
    general formula Cx(H2O)y?

Since when is NADPH a 'simple compound'? the answer is definatly water.
    Although Biology IMO is a the worst science for the questions. Its ridiculous and it always throws me off.

It was a really badly worded question, I wasn't sure either so I answered:
    It comes from NADPH, but the H+ in the NADPH originally came from the lysis of H20 by sunlight which combined with NADP- to form NADPH.

I think that might cover me for either? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Lib23

No idea on that codon question should get the A1 though. This question what did people say? (iii) The only remaining natural ecosystems in Ireland, for example mountain land above the heather
    line and salt marsh, are ones for which mankind has no use. true or false and explain why

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭chaoticmess

Lib23 wrote: »
    (iii) The only remaining natural ecosystems in Ireland, for example mountain land above the heather
    line and salt marsh, are ones for which mankind has no use. true or false and explain why

I said about using high land for windfarms and that waterfalls could also be used for producing renewable energy (?) haha. Oh and I said that bogs were used for peat, and that people still used those sort of areas for recreation. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 psychoduck

My impressions...
    After I went over all the past exam papers yesterday, I was taken aback. Altogether 2 sections came up that have NEVER come up before: the kingdoms (classification or what its called) and the feckin Amoeba. I didnt bother studying them, but thank duck it came back to me later. Also, I wrote ribosomes instead of food vacuoles.

I thought those short questions was incredibly hard! 4 genetic crosses asked in the 'easy section'?? Well, that was grand for me, but still. And that swine flu thing was weird. I thought of putting down memory lymphocytes and stuff like that, but the thing is, that every flu is different, thats why we get it so many times in life, there are no general antibodies against flu???
    And I heard it for the first time, that younger people were at more risk! So I wrote something like that old people were vaccinated, because they are weaker and if they had gotten swine flu, it might have killed them, but young people didnt bother with the vaccination, therefore they were more at risk of becoming ill. Do you think it would gain me some marks?

The whole paper was just totally weird. They asked questions that they have never asked before, DNA/RNA be my favourite topic and I was horrified. Wtf was that 'three outcomes' thing?!

My diagrams were unbelievably bad, by the way :D Ecology question was really strange too, it was either very easy or very hard! That 'simple compound' was quite tricky too, I spent lifetime on figuring out what they meant, in the end I wrote "from NADPH which gets it from splitting of the H2O".

I think they went to huge details over the whole paper. And very weird phrasing and questions asked. I was often not sure what exactly they wanted me to write down, or how long my answers should be. Not many straightforward one word long answers :(

Also, what substances are transported by the hepatic portal vein?
    Still hope to get an A1, but this paper was an unpleasant surprise for me.

Even the two experiments I hated the most came up! (the heart and IAA). My diagram of the heart looks like a ball with four weird ducts emerging from it. I wrote a note in the end to the examiner to apologize for my awful drawings :D

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Fete

So happy! But the river question was a bit weird I thought. Hoping for an A anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Lib23

Lol thats weird, I wrote a note for my bad drawings aswell haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mmmchoccy

psychoduck wrote: »
    The whole paper was just totally weird.

Totally Agree. Just really strange. There was just something off about the questions and the phrasings of the questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭JoeyBuddy

They did that in Business aswell.
    I feel like they've almost changed the formart of the LC in general this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

Also, what substances are transported by the hepatic portal vein?

Glucose, amino acids, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭ummtea

mmmchoccy wrote: »
    Totally Agree. Just really strange. There was just something off about the questions and the phrasings of the questions.

Yeah like the way they asked about how many bases in sequence make up a codon in mRNA?

They threw in the mRNA just to put you off if you were not confident about your answer.

It happens every year, but not like it has this year.

Glucose, amino acids, etc.

What about drugs and vitamins? :confused:

JoeyBuddy wrote: »
    They did that in Business aswell.
    I feel like they've almost changed the formart of the LC in general this year.

Thats very true. In english we didnt get the picture comprehension, therefore no picture short storied. And no Boland :D

Maths - curve, which was actually a line. I dont think they were this cunning ever before?

Well, and Biology, thats all I have done so far. And so far, so strange. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, I just remembered, what did ye write down on those "cold-like diseases and antibiotics?" I noticed only in the last minute, that its probably viral, so the antibiotics would not work, I had put down something about the antibiotic resistance before. I thought that was kind of tricky too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭FridaysWell

Liked this exam was abit of a challenge... Some very detailed questions, happy that Amoeba came up :D Love them little yokes...

Dunno, I expected a paper like this. About time they shook things up a little bit I suppose, they were probably thinking that.

Oh yeah, I just remembered, what did ye write down on those "cold-like diseases and antibiotics?" I noticed only in the last minute, that its probably viral, so the antibiotics would not work, I had put down something about the antibiotic resistance before. I thought that was kind of tricky too.

I noticed that too, I had virus down but decided to change it to pathogen because of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭cxh20y

For part c of the ameoba q, did ye say fat droplets or food vacuole?

• Advertisement

cxh20y wrote: »
    For part c of the ameoba q, did ye say fat droplets or food vacuole?
    Food Vacuole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭0.M.GXX

Is the active site theory also known as the induced fit theory or are they different things?

you are bang on there... did you draw the diagram.. for it !!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭hunii07

Marking schemes will be adjusted as necessary to ensure the required number of A's, B's etc.

As for the crosses... why didn't you use a punnet square? I did!

I did too,,,,,, :p
    Over all I thought the paper was pretty nice......

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

mmmchoccy wrote: »

I agree.

15 (C) Biological Explanations:confused:

What did ye say for the breasfeeding one and the person's fingers turning white?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 roll on summer 10!

Hmm...I said thorax for the cavity, would that be counted as right dya think?
    i said that too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

I did ordinary biology today. I officially took up the subject in January, I never took the mox, I had read over unit 1 + 2 a few times in a revision book and only started studying last week (due to pure lazyness)

I studied 5 chapters,
    food, ecology, photosynthesis, respiration and genetics.

They all came up and I answered 5/6 only section 1, none of the experiments and 4/6 in the long questions.

It was the luckiest test I've ever taken and I'm very sure I've passed which is all i need for my college course :D

stainluss wrote: »
    I agree.

15 (C) Biological Explanations:confused:

What did ye say for the breasfeeding one and the person's fingers turning white?

Said that as long as a breast pump or baby is used (lol) the breasts and body will be stimulated to make more milk, were as if the mother does not breast feed, her body will stop lactating, because the milk first made is not ebing used up.

And as for the fingers turning white I just said blood here is cooled quickly, making the skin lose its color and stopping blood from flowing into the fingers. Bit of a silly Q....

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

What about drugs and vitamins? :confused:

Drugs? What kinda drugs are you taking?:rolleyes: Ah no I'm not sure, I just stuck to the most basic one's - glucose, amino acids, blood cells, all that craic...

Isn't it that when the body is cold the blood is brought to the internal organs which need the heat more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭MiamiMortimer

And as for the fingers turning white I just said blood here is cooled quickly, making the skin lose its color and stopping blood from flowing into the fingers. Bit of a silly Q....

I don't know about the blood cooling, the body has to keep a constant internal temperature so the vessels contract to avoid losing heat. That's why fingers turn white. The blood never cools, if it did the cells wouldn't work in optimum conditions...and if it stopped flowing into the fingers they'd fall off!!!

It's the opposite to how the body reacts when it is too hot-at which point the vessels dilate to lose heat...

At least that's what I thought anyhow :)

Advertisement