Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology - Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭FridaysWell

I don't know about the blood cooling, the body has to keep a constant internal temperature so the vessels contract to avoid losing heat. That's why fingers turn white. The blood never cools, if it did the cells wouldn't work in optimum conditions...and if it stopped flowing into the fingers they'd fall off!!!

At least that's what I thought anyhow :)
    Looking on it now your right.
    Was an extra Q anywho :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Yeah I figured that because the next question used similar wording and its answer was ATP so...I had orginally written 'water' but I changed it.
    It is water no? In my notes it says water, and NADPH supplies electrons and protons (?).

theowen wrote: »
    It is water no? In my notes it says water, and NADPH supplies electrons and protons (?).
    Well the protons are the H...when the water is split the NADP- takes up the H+ (proton) and transports it for the dark stage. So it technically comes from water and NADPH...

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭YouthNovel

For the question about the liver functions it asked for 2 other functions of the liver.

I put down three cause I couldn't remember a word! Ragin!

The three I out down were

1. Production of red blood cells. But I just discovered that it's just in a fetus?! Think it'll work?

2. Was that it breaks down amino acids to produce urea. I couldn't remember the term for it, but just remembered there, its DEAMINATION! So annoying just remembering now!

3. I actually can't remember my third one lol but i knew it was bang on!:)

Was fairly pleased with the paper in general, hopin for an A1 prob get an A2 though. Those diagrams for the short questions were just weird! My 5 year old brother could have drawn better ones.

Question 13 was unusual havin a full thing on plant fertilisation and seed dormancy. Effort of it, amount i wrote for it was ridiculous.

Plus I felt so immature cause I kept laughin at the fact I was drawing a penis in my leaving cert. I also wrote mental retardation, twice! Good result!

Well the protons are the H...when the water is split the NADPH takes up the H+ (proton) and transports it for the dark stage. So it technically comes from water and NADPH...
    Think both will be right:confused:

Funny how everyone's only talking about say 5/6 things on the paper. I think aside from the wierdish questions the rest was pretty easy really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

Isn't it that when the body is cold the blood is brought to the internal organs which need the heat more?

I just said some **** about vasoconstriction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

YouthNovel wrote: »
    For the question about the liver functions it asked for 2 other functions of the liver.

I put down three cause I couldn't remember a word! Ragin!

The three I out down were

1. Production of red blood cells. But I just discovered that it's just in a fetus?! Think it'll work?

2. Was that it breaks down amino acids to produce urea. I couldn't remember the term for it, but just remembered there, its DEAMINATION! So annoying just remembering now!

3. I actually can't remember my third one lol but i knew it was bang on!:)

I said it stores Enzymes and breaks down toxins.

stainluss wrote: »
    I just said some **** about vasoconstriction
    The blood vessels near the skin constrict so less heat flows to these blood vessels. Thus less heat is lost from the body. Therefore, as less blood is rushing to the blood vessels the fingers have a white colour.

Exact same as what I wrote in the exam:rolleyes::p

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Hatred

Anyone do the yeast experiment?

They asked what Petroleum jelly was used for... I said we didn't use it we used vaseline. then I drew a little angry face beside the question and wrote that it was corrupted.

Turns out vaseline is the same thing as petroleum jelly -.-'

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭JoeyBuddy

Haha...yeah, I just said it's used to stick the leaf to the lid of the dish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

theowen wrote: »
    The blood vessels near the skin constrict so less heat flows to these blood vessels. Thus less heat is lost from the body. Therefore, as less blood is rushing to the blood vessels the fingers have a white colour.

Exact same as what I wrote in the exam:rolleyes::p

Well, that is what vasoconstriction is, you just didn't use it's name!!
    Well the protons are the H...when the water is split the NADP- takes up the H+ (proton) and transports it for the dark stage. So it technically comes from water and NADPH...

I would think the answer is water, as the NADPH is only a carrier.... it said "simple compound" too which pretty much sums up H2O..... I'd say the will accept both NADPH and H2O because it doesn't say from which simple compound IN THE DARK STAGE does the plant etc.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

stainluss wrote: »
    I agree.

15 (C) Biological Explanations:confused:

What did ye say for the breasfeeding one and the person's fingers turning white?

For the breast-feeding I said the baby/breast pump stimulates the production of the hormone oxytoxin which keeps the production of milk on-going through a positive feedback system. I'm pretty positive this is right :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭MonTheBiffy

That's a bit harsh.
    I seriously doubt that if those docters had known all about the sexual reproductive sytems of plants it would have helped.

I know it was harsh thats why I said 'HARSH'. But looking at some of the answers here wouldn't you be slightly concerned? Il admit I didn't get 100% but one guy said the place where your heart and lungs are found is the vena cava....the VENA CAVA. Ok pressure of exam maybe but really thats just a small bit 'silly'. I don't try to be an a55hole it just kinda happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Ashashi

I know it was harsh thats why I said 'HARSH'. But looking at some of the answers here wouldn't you be slightly concerned? Il admit I didn't get 100% but one guy said the place where your heart and lungs are found is the vena cava....the VENA CAVA. Ok pressure of exam maybe but really thats just a small bit 'silly'. I don't try to be an a55hole it just kinda happens.

It takes years to become a doctor, it isn't something you walk into, no one, at the age of 18, unless a medical genius is ready to become any form of doctor. It takes years of training, and then years of working in a hospital along doctors, before you even become recognised as a doctor. Biology at LC has nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing, to do with medicine.

Well, that is what vasoconstriction is, you just didn't use it's name!!

I would think the answer is water, as the NADPH is only a carrier.... it said "simple compound" too which pretty much sums up H2O..... I'd say the will accept both NADPH and H2O because it doesn't say from which simple compound IN THE DARK STAGE does the plant etc.... :)
    Ahh! Awesome word btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mwah

i said it the vena cava... and so what? it was a guess because i didn't know the answer. I hate people like you who think they're the ****ing best thing since sliced bread. It may be silly, but biology has nothing to do with the course i wanna do it college so just keep your mouth shut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭starry nights

Ashashi wrote: »
    It takes years to become a doctor, it isn't something you walk into, no one, at the age of 18, unless a medical genius is ready to become any form of doctor. It takes years of training, and then years of working in a hospital along doctors, before you even become recognised as a doctor. Biology at LC has nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing, to do with medicine.

i agree qwith you ashashi
    like some one snapped at me cos i said not sure if i got an A1 in biology (i think i did now) but want to be a doctor, she turned around and ranted about babies dying and how id be a crap doc. Eh, never planned to kill any babies. and when, WHEN will the formation of the pollen grain cell matter when treating people (except hayfever) and the structure of a flowering plants.....

it does take years 5/6 training in college then a year as an intern to become a doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Ashashi

Don't get annoyed with the guy, he cleary isn't aware how someone becomes a doctor. In College, you start Biology again, if it was required, it would say so when picking the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

Ah feck, I wrote fat granuales for the amoeba Q, I also got 50%, 50%, 75% and 50% for the genetics Q. I thought the short Qs were a little trickier than usual, when I first opened the paper I immediately thought 'f*ck' but as I started going through it it was, well I thought anyways, a pretty nice paper.

Did all the short Qs, heart dissection and the jumbled up exp Q, then did all the long Qs except for the first one. I thought the ecology Q was lovely with the graphs and the one with the central nervous system and hormones. I remember doing a Q in the papers similar to the jumbled up exp Q, and thinking that'd be a nasty fecker if it came up again.
    I was hoping one of the enzyme exp's would come up like in the mocks, had them learned off to a tee. :( We never actually done the heart dissection, only went over it in the book and on a slideshow, the fecking SEC said we weren't allowed because of the risk of swine flu, was hoping they wouldn't put it on the paper for that reason. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 alice in wonderland

scherzo! wrote: »
    MY EXACT ANSWER HAHA! "Peptide, polypeptide, protein". Such a stab in the dark. I guess we tried our best though! I've been getting A's in Biology since 5th year and that question just made me sick. XD
    I said that too! makes me feel so much better that other people had the same problems as me. I was going for an a1 but I don't see much chance of that happening. It reminded me of a mock paper - bit all over the place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭PARARORY

she turned around and ranted about babies dying and how id be a crap doc.

Absolute Idiot whoever said that to you... Thats likes saying if you dont get into medicine the first time you shouldnt be allowed repeat because since you didnt get into it the first time around you would be a crap doctor!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭cxh20y

Genuinely made me laugh that, thanks :)

Me too, cheers. Reminds me of what my friend said in a maths question, went something like this.. what are the roots of this equation 10x 5p + 34 (not the real eq!) and she wrote down, ahhh tap and fibrous roots???

Hahaha quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

Mwah wrote: »
    i said it the vena cava... and so what? it was a guess because i didn't know the answer. I hate people like you who think they're the ****ing best thing since sliced bread. It may be silly, but biology has nothing to do with the course i wanna do it college so just keep your mouth shut

Calm down :P
    He hardly thinks he's the best thing since sliced bread because he finds that guess amusing... you have surely been in a similar situation where someone in the class is asked a question, makes a guess and its a completely wrong answer? I know I have, and I've also been the one making the guess :o
    Relax :)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭MiamiMortimer

For the breast-feeding I said the baby/breast pump stimulates the production of the hormone oxytoxin which keeps the production of milk on-going through a positive feedback system. I'm pretty positive this is right :cool:

I said the hormone prolactin...but yeah.... :)

Calm down :P
    He hardly thinks he's the best thing since sliced bread because he finds that guess amusing... you have surely been in a similar situation where someone in the class is asked a question, makes a guess and its a completely wrong answer? I know I have, and I've also been the one making the guess :o
    Relax :)

Thanks, it seems everyone here has it in for me

''i agree qwith you ashashi
    like some one snapped at me cos i said not sure if i got an A1 in biology (i think i did now) but want to be a doctor, she turned around and ranted about babies dying and how id be a crap doc. Eh, never planned to kill any babies. and when, WHEN will the formation of the pollen grain cell matter when treating people (except hayfever) and the structure of a flowering plants.....

it does take years 5/6 training in college then a year as an intern to become a doctor.''

Firstly, Im a lad. I know this from my biology studies.
    Secondly, I didn't snap at you at all.
    Thirdly, good luck becoming a doctor since you are full sure you're going to be one I hope you have a long successful career not killing babies. :pac:

Some of ye on here need to relax I don't think I'm the best thing since sliced bread....that was clearly the toaster. Im not having a go or ranting or snapping at or about people i just feel in my personal opinion that if you are not good enough to do well in Leaving Cert level Biology how can you be expected to grasp harder aspects of biology chemistry etc. in college when it is much more advanced. Can anybody see my point or are ye all just content having a f**cking go at me. Its a forum where I express my opinion ye dont have to listen to it let alone agree with it. If it offends you Im sorry but theres no need to go getting personal. Chill the beans boys. Sorry again starrynight:rolleyes:

Mwah wrote: »

Sorry I just found it funny. Apologies for having a sense of humour. Shame more people here don't have one.

BTW see this >>>:eek: Mouth open ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

As much as I think MonTheBiffy is being an asshat, he does have a point, the biology done by medical students is far more complex than leaving cert level.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

Yes but that dosen't mean anything... I'm sure there is plenty of doctors who got a C3 or lower in LC biology and still went on to be a successful doctor!

I see the comic side to it, but FFS that comment is pure ignorant. You have 5/6 or more years to improve your biology knowledge...

Hehe...asshat:pac: Anyways, it does mean something. The whole point of the Leaving is ,yes, to increase your knowledge and educate you in a subject but, also to show YOUR ability to LEARN. How you take in information and use it and remember it. Surely if you do poorly (well I dont mean a C is poor but you get me) in the Leaving it kinda shows you're not the best at learning and taking in information and using it and applying it. That is an elemental componant of medicine.Taking in a patients history, symptoms and developements and adapting and using your knowledge to cure them. God ye hate me. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Yes but that dosen't mean anything... I'm sure there is plenty of doctors who got a C3 or lower in LC biology and still went on to be a successful doctor!

I see the comic side to it, but FFS that comment is pure ignorant. You have 5/6 or more years to improve your biology knowledge...
    Maybe, but it's kind of unlikely. I know a few medical students, and my best friend is just finished first year vet med. All of them got straight As though secondary school, came out with A1s in biology and they struggle, they're happy if they can just pass. My friend described the level of biology they're suppose to know now "like doing junior cert for years and then suddenly being expected to do the leaving cert" it's such a jump up.
    Really if you can't handle leaving cert biology -which is not hard by any means- you should really reconsider if medicine is right course for you,

Advertisement