Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trialing eircom VDSL2 at the moment

• 17-06-2010 12:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭

Speedtest.net averages from multiple servers during he afternoon:

Ping: About 30ms
    Download: About 26mb/s
    Upload: About 11mb/s

Stats from ZyXEL gateway

adsl: ADSL driver and PHY status
    Retrain Reason: 0
    Max: Upstream rate = 28552 Kbps, Downstream rate = 78568 Kbps
    Path: 0, Upstream rate = 28180 Kbps, Downstream rate = 53449 Kbps

Link Power State: L0
    Mode: VDSL2
    VDSL2 Profile: Profile 12a
    TPS-TC: PTM Mode
    Trellis: U:ON /D:ON
    Line Status: No Defect
    Training Status: Showtime

Down Up
    SNR (dB): 10.6 5.7
    Attn(dB): 0.0 0.0
    Pwr(dBm): 7.2 -10.9

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

accensi0n wrote: »
    Speedtest.net averages from multiple servers during he afternoon:

Ping: About 30ms
    Download: About 26mb/s
    Upload: About 11mb/s

Stats from ZyXEL gateway

adsl: ADSL driver and PHY status
    Retrain Reason: 0
    Max: Upstream rate = 28552 Kbps, Downstream rate = 78568 Kbps
    Path: 0, Upstream rate = 28180 Kbps, Downstream rate = 53449 Kbps

Link Power State: L0
    Mode: VDSL2
    VDSL2 Profile: Profile 12a
    TPS-TC: PTM Mode
    Trellis: U:ON /D:ON
    Line Status: No Defect
    Training Status: Showtime

Down Up
    SNR (dB): 10.6 5.7
    Attn(dB): 0.0 0.0
    Pwr(dBm): 7.2 -10.9

how did you get that, and what location are you, if you dont mind me asking , also do you live in the exchange :D:D

VDSL2 deteriorates quickly from a theoretical maximum of 250 Mbit/s at source to 100 Mbit/s at 0.5 km (1,600 ft) and 50 Mbit/s at 1 km (3,300 ft), but degrades at a much slower rate from there, and still outperforms VDSL. Starting from 1.6 km (0.99 mi) its performance is equal to ADSL2+.

so this fits in with Eircoms possible plans to run fiber to the cabinet, which i now believe will be around Summer 2011 before its available. ( if at all )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

In real world VDSL much worse that that due to cross talk, noise etc. past 1km it degrades as fast as VDSL, ADSL2+ etc.. Closer to 20Mbps or less at 1km, 7 to 10kbps @ 3km, just like ADSL2+, in real world.

VDSL is of course over 6 years old?

VDSL2 is only sensible thing for FTTC, it's pointless for copper to the exchange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

This is a 'real world' trial though. The Eircom VDSL2 trials are based on a FTTC model, so the copper is usually just a few hundred meters into the trial estates. Also less pairs in the bundle so interference is less of a problem (and only local to the copper in the estate).

Bear in mind that VDSL is currently not allowed to be run from an exchange - its barred by its absence in the CLFMP agreed with Comreg and other operators. It can only be run (on Eircom copper) from a Cabinet location near the target area. (Specifically so as not to interfere with non VDSL services on other lines coming into the exchange).

This is the only way that the DSL folks can compete against UPC who are essentially doing the same thing (only with co-ax). That said - given the state of Eircoms finances - I wouldn't be holding my breath for a quick VDSL rollout!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Snaga wrote: »
    This is a 'real world' trial though. The Eircom VDSL2 trials are based on a FTTC model, so the copper is usually just a few hundred meters into the trial estates. Also less pairs in the bundle so interference is less of a problem (and only local to the copper in the estate).

Bear in mind that VDSL is currently not allowed to be run from an exchange - its barred by its absence in the CLFMP agreed with Comreg and other operators. It can only be run (on Eircom copper) from a Cabinet location near the target area. (Specifically so as not to interfere with non VDSL services on other lines coming into the exchange).

This is the only way that the DSL folks can compete against UPC who are essentially doing the same thing (only with co-ax). That said - given the state of Eircoms finances - I wouldn't be holding my breath for a quick VDSL rollout!

It's probably a good thing that it has to be run from cab level rather than exchange - greater bandwidth will have to be closer to the user... I think comreg have unwittingly forced eircom's hand in a good direction here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Running it from exchange is pointless for 80%+ of phone lines anyway.

• Advertisement

it would be difficult for unbundling to occur in cabs however...maybe there should be some arrangement where the fibre between the exchange and the cab is vendor nuetral, and the LLU ISPs enter the exchange?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Dardania wrote: »
    it would be difficult for unbundling to occur in cabs however...maybe there should be some arrangement where the fibre between the exchange and the cab is vendor nuetral, and the LLU ISPs enter the exchange?

Sounds like a good idea. who pays for all the fibre? The government?

Praetorian wrote: »
    Sounds like a good idea. who pays for all the fibre? The government?

I'd like to think so - tie it in with their MAN programme, but the incumbent currently owns the copper from the exhcnage to the cab...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Dardania wrote: »
    I'd like to think so - tie it in with their MAN programme, but the incumbent currently owns the copper from the exhcnage to the cab...

But wouldn't running fibre to all the cabinets mean the copper from the exchange to the cabinets is no longer needed. Not to mention the actual exchanges themselves?

If some of the exchanges could be decommisioned and the buildings and land sold, surely this would provide a good chunk of change towards running fibre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Praetorian wrote: »
    But wouldn't running fibre to all the cabinets mean the copper from the exchange to the cabinets is no longer needed. Not to mention the actual exchanges themselves?

If some of the exchanges could be decommisioned and the buildings and land sold, surely this would provide a good chunk of change towards running fibre?

It probably would but the only difficulty i would see in doing this would be the acceptance of burdening the cost while you run both systems, till such time as you migrate from the legacy infrastructure to the new.

Again as has been said i do feel that Eircom may have been pushed into this from another source, details of how long the trial will be and if it is POC for estimating cost for entire network upgrade (which would be pretty pointless as has been stated by a few, due to the nature of the technology and Irelands urban / rural dispursion).

• Advertisement
Advertisement