Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appeals

• 17-06-2010 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭

I know this might seem premature, but there was an issue with my geography field study which means that it will be corrected by the examiner but won't be included in my overall grade :( I wo't get into details about it, but basically I was told that I'll have to appeal to the SEC when results come out and plead my case for the inclusion of those marks in my overall score.

Thing is, i've heard before that the appeals process isn't completed until October-ish, by which time most courses have already begun, does anyone have any information regarding the appeals process by any chance?

I'm a repeat looking for the points to do medicine and it looks like 20% of one subject has just gone down the toilet, if I miss out by <10/15 points as a result of an admin issue i'll be heartbroken, especially because i'm unsure about the workings of the appeal process... Any information/advice would be greatly appreciated :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

if the appeal process increases your matriculation grades / points to the place where you would have gotten an offer for a course, you will either be given a place on that course immediately or have one reserved for you in the following year. Depends if they have space.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

Bump with a bit more info...

The issue is that I completed my project externally without teacher supervision, I've to complete a P20 form to say it's all my own work etc. and send it to the department. They said my project will be graded but the marks won't be included in my overall score. I can then appeal this decision and plead my case for the inclusion of those marks in my overall score, which could potentially be the difference between me getting my course and not.

Does anybody have any experience of this kind of situation or has anyone heard of someone having an appeal dismissed/upheld on these grouds before?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

That's silly - why would they not want to include those in your overall grade? Nearly everybody I know just were given the booklets by the teachers, who helped, but did the actual filling out at home. There isn't any difference. We were allowed look at our practice booklets, take our time with diagrams and everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

From my point of view, it's actually a disadvantage to have done it without teacher supervision as I was working off my own notes without direction as to whether or not I was doing the right thing!

I did the project in '08, I kept notes from that time around and worked off them when I was writing up the project. I tagged along with a random school doing the river erosion study as my old school had already finished their trip. Took the results home, wrote up the report and all that craic myself and now it's not being counted. 20% down the swanny, and when I'm looking for as close to 600 as possible to get into medicine it's a massive blow. Apparently I can appeal but like I said originally I think time might be an issue, and i've no idea if i'll have any chance of winning the appeal either.

Advertisement