Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sugar-free jelly

Options
  • 17-06-2010 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know if Chivers make sugar-free jelly? I know that Hartleys make it but I think that's a powder and I'm looking for the jelly cubes, for want of a better description. I vaguely recall eating it before but I could be wrong.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I don't recall sugar free Chivers - we always buy normal Chivers so I'd probably have noticed. I think Hartleys & Chivers come under the same production company - Premier Foods, they're the same crowd that make Angel Delight too I think.

I shall keep an eye out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Thanks. :)

I had a look at the Premier Foods website and it does mention that Hartleys do sugar-free jelly in cube form but they don't seem to stock it here. I'll be up North anyway next week so I might see if I can pop into a supermarket.

I'm determined to find it now. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭Archeron

Hartleys do pre made jelly that is sugar free, like single serving tubs which is quite nice.
    Be warned though that the smell is really strong. Do not leave an opened one in the fridge, or you'll never get the smell of it out.
    Thats actually why we stopped buying it, as the smell even gets through cling Film. It is nice though!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Starburst85

Hartleys and Chivers are the same company, like Bulmers and Magners :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Yeah but both Hartleys and Chivers are available in Ireland. From what I've seen they sell Chivers in the cubes and Hartleys in bags and also pre-made. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Aye Janey - we get both over here, not quite the same as Magners/Bulmers. That's the same product with different labels essentially.
    Hopefully you can find the sugarfree cube form hun - might be nicer than the powder.

Although... here the cube Hartley's isn't sugar free... hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Archeron wrote: »
    Do not leave an opened one in the fridge, or you'll never get the smell of it out.
    If your fridge smells get a small plate and spread out some baking soda (AKA bread soda, AKA bicarbonate of soda). Put the plate in the fridge and it absorbs the smells.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭sporina

hi does anyone know where i can get the sachets/cubes of sugar free jelly to make up myself?
    i checked in tesco and they only have the pre made tubs - would be much cheaper for me to make it myself
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

You'll get the sachets in any supermarket, Hartleys or Chivers, Robinsons if you're shopping in the North. I've never seen the cubes.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

sporina wrote: »
    i checked in tesco and they only have the pre made tubs - would be much cheaper for me to make it myself
    thanks

was this a large tesco?

It would certainly not surprise me if the ready made and powder/blocks are in totally different places. My tesco is all over the place.

The concentrated blocks are showing online -these are not sugar free though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

sporina wrote: »
    hi does anyone know where i can get the sachets/cubes of sugar free jelly to make up myself?
    thanks

You could try making your own with gelatine so you can control the sweetness yourself. Tesco's website lists the granules, and here's a recipe from a quick Google:

though that uses leaf gelatine (one 12g sachet is equivalent to 4 leaves, it says on the Dr Oetker site).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭sporina

rubadub wrote: »
    was this a large tesco?

It would certainly not surprise me if the ready made and powder/blocks are in totally different places. My tesco is all over the place.

The concentrated blocks are showing online -these are not sugar free though

yeah tesco products can be all love the place - will have another look

Advertisement