Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child benefit change of circumstances form.

Options
  • 17-06-2010 2:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone else gotten one of these?
    It arrived today and has to be filled in and returned in 21days or else the payment is suspended.

Most of it I have no qualms about filling in, it lists possible change of circumstances as change of address or financial institution, change of post office, child of 16 or older who leaves school, death of a child, child no longer in your care or the country.

The bit which I find odd is the asking for the name and address of the child's school or creche or failing either of those the child's dr.

The dept of education knows what school they are in as the grant per child for running the school is linked to their prsi number but the child benefit section of the dept of socail and family affairs who also has their prsi number can't cross check the records?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Has anyone else gotten one of these?
    It arrived today and has to be filled in and returned in 21days or else the payment is suspended.

Most of it I have no qualms about filling in, it lists possible change of circumstances as change of address or financial institution, change of post office, child of 16 or older who leaves school, death of a child, child no longer in your care or the country.

The bit which I find odd is the asking for the name and address of the child's school or creche or failing either of those the child's dr.

The dept of education knows what school they are in as the grant per child for running the school is linked to their prsi number but the child benefit section of the dept of socail and family affairs who also has their prsi number can't cross check the records?

I haven't gotten one of these but a couple of friends have. Both are not Irish. None of my Irish friends have gotten them yet.
    I think it's to make sure your children are residing in Ireland and you aren't claiming while the children are living in another country (hence why I mentioned them not being Irish).
    So they want to make sure the child is in school/creche.

I don't think our government are great at the whole cross checking thing to be honest. Most departments that should be linked, aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

You want to avail of a state benefit you fill in the form with the info they want, you don't want to then don't. There's acres of this with the ECCE scheme that I have to repeat but if you want State money its one of the hoops you just jump through. It's a benefit not an entitlement remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

ash23 wrote: »
    I haven't gotten one of these but a couple of friends have. Both are not Irish. None of my Irish friends have gotten them yet.
    I think it's to make sure you are residing in Ireland and aren't claiming while living in another country (hence why I mentioned them not being Irish).
    So they want to make sure the child is in school/creche.

I don't think our government are great at the whole cross checking thing to be honest. Most departments that should be linked, aren't.

I am Irish as are my kids I was wondering if this was being rolled out nationwide or of this was only selected areas.

As for the question re school/creche seems they forgot about children who are home schooled.
    lazygal wrote: »
    You want to avail of a state benefit you fill in the form with the info they want, you don't want to then don't. There's acres of this with the ECCE scheme that I have to repeat but if you want State money its one of the hoops you just jump through. It's a benefit not an entitlement remember.

It is a new hoop, I have never had any contact with that section other then when I filled out the application after my children were born, so it was surprising when I got the letter today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I am Irish as are my kids I was wondering if this was being rolled out nationwide or of this was only selected areas.

As for the question re school/creche seems they forgot about children who are home schooled.

Not really, they do have the section for the GP.
    Majority are in school.

I know that anyone I know who got one was an EU national but they must be sending them across the board. I'll probably get one myself.

It is a new hoop, I have never had any contact with that section other then when I filled out the application after my children were born, so it was surprising when I got the letter today.

It was only brought in recently that people living here could no longer claim for their children in another country so I guess this is going to be standard procedure from here in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I have a friend in cork that gets one every few months, she is english but has lived in ireland since whe was 8 now 29. her hubby is french.

Ive never got one in 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I've never gotten one in 12 years, so it's a standard form and not a new one it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I got one a few months ago. I assumed it was a new thing. I never had one before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I got one about a month ago, no qualms about filling it in as we moved house in the meantime, i'd rather fill it in than get the money stopped;)
    I doesn't matter where you go now everything has the pps numbers on it.. so i'd say its a way of making sure there's no double payments going out..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭layviae

i got one for my 2 and a half year old a few weeks ago i filled it in sent it back in the free post envelope provided no problem im irish have always lived in ireland my child is irish his dad is irish and all his grendparents are irish and have all lived in ireland all our lives so i dont think its just people who arent orrignaly irish that their sending them to anyway it was no problem filling it in and it stops fraud so its well worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Ttaf

I have been getting these every 3 months since my eldest (3y.o.) was born. I was born abroad but I am Irish. It seems that up untill recently these letters were sent out very frequently to non-Irish mothers. But a lot of "Irish" mothers have received them recently.

I have no problem filling them out, its no hassle, but what does annoy me is when it states it must be returned within 21 days and the letter only arrives 2 weeks after the date on the later. This happens very frequently. On another occassion, my child benefit was stopped when I called to find out why i was told i did not return the letter. But i hadnt received the letter. I know for sure as when i receive a letter, i always write the date it was received, and take a photocopy of it before returning it, and file it.

Thankfully, whilst i still received one this month, they seem to be sending to more people now, not just the same people over and over again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I get this form every couple of months - this started last year. I'm English, resident here since childhood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭athlone M

I too got one of these a couple of weeks ago and I am irish born and reared as too are my husband and our children.
    Like you there was a couple of other women along with myself on another website wondering why we were giving these forms and we have come to the conclusion that they were sending the form to people who had their child benefit paid into a bank account.
    As for the name of gp or school its just someone they can use as a go to person to check that your child is residing with you.
    HTH

Advertisement