Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rumor: 100mb broadband from upc by the end of this month

• 17-06-2010 2:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭

i heard a rumor that upc will luanch its 100mb broadband by the end of the month.

anybody heard anything about this as to weather its truth or not

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

dunworth1 wrote: »
    i heard a rumor that upc will luanch its 100mb broadband by the end of the month.

anybody heard anything about this as to weather its truth or not

The announced it awhile back, But it was august that was the date given.

Either way i cant way!! If it works that is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Drool!

I cant wait! :D

Wonder how much it will cost compared to 30mb

moonboy52 wrote: »
    Drool!

I cant wait! :D

Wonder how much it will cost compared to 30mb

Rumor is that it will be 70 euro!!

If it is that wouldnt be too bad but for most people with just broadband that will work out at 76 or so.

I hope its going to be really UNLIMITED

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

When they upgraded to 30mb it was almost 2 months before my full speed came back. If they are jumping it up again I hope they wait til the infrastructure is ready before jumping in.

Truth be told, i'm on wireless G so my wireless router can't even handle 30mb so 100mbs wouldn't make much difference unless I upgraded my Nic and router.

Do you reckon UPC would upgrade you to an N router if you upped your speed?

NothingMan wrote: »
    When they upgraded to 30mb it was almost 2 months before my full speed came back. If they are jumping it up again I hope they wait til the infrastructure is ready before jumping in.

Truth be told, i'm on wireless G so my wireless router can't even handle 30mb so 100mbs wouldn't make much difference unless I upgraded my Nic and router.

I had perfect speed when the 30mb came out!! Guess im one of the lucky ones!!

Doubt they will give us n routers. They will have to give us new modems but i think thats all they will give us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Thor wrote: »
    I had perfect speed when the 30mb came out!! Guess im one of the lucky ones!!

Doubt they will give us n routers. They will have to give us new modems but i think thats all they will give us.

Mine went mental for a while on the last upgrade. Perfect again now though.

I know in Holland they provide the Netgear N routers. But maybe they'd only do that for new customers going forward but it would be a nice incentive to make people splash out for the speed upgrade.

I mainly work on wireless and I won't bother upgrading until I upgrade my laptop , which will be a long time hopefully. I could get a PCI nic but I like my laptop streamlined.

Mine went mental for a while on the last upgrade. Perfect again now though.

I know in Holland they provide the Netgear N routers. But maybe they'd only do that for new customers going forward but it would be a nice incentive to make people splash out for the speed upgrade.

I mainly work on wireless and I won't bother upgrading until I upgrade my laptop , which will be a long time hopefully. I could get a PCI nic but I like my laptop streamlined.

Are you sure you dont have a mini pci-e wireless card. If you do you can just replace that with a wireless n one and they you go.

I already have a wireless n router but dont use wireless all that much.

Still would be nice to see a free router from them for getting the highest speed, Still doubt they will though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Wonder will the 15mb get bumped to 30 and the 30 bumped to 60 for free, like the last time, would be nice.....:)

The new speeds are going to require a new Docsis 3.0 Modem, possibly a router/modem combo with N. Docsis 3.0 allows the incresed speeds due to channel bonding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS
    Wonder will the 15mb get bumped to 30 and the 30 bumped to 60 for free, like the last time, would be nice.....smile.gif

The current modems wont realistically do anything over 40 odd mbs. I doubt they will start swapping out old modems for new ones for peeps not on the super speed packages that require Docsis 3.0 ones.

Maybe they might go 15mb > 20 & 30mb > 40mb. Thats just speculating tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I'd be confident that these will be the speeds http://www.upc.nl/internet/

Who knows, maybe the 30Mbps will get cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 BLissIRL

To the guy above most if not all of the modems have been replaced and are docsis 3.0 compliant and they can operate at over 100mbs tapping out at around 130 ish - they will have to replace modems for peeps going to the 400mb service when introduced next .

Im on the 30mb 3mb service and for the last 4 months since they began the change of the security and config files - i had nothing but trouble but now i up at full 3.5mbs and down at 30.5 mbs weeee hooo eircom can lick the back of me gonads .
    3....2....1... me arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭dunworth1

just to update on this.

the 100mbs is expected to be released some time in august

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

dunworth1 wrote: »
    just to update on this.

the 100mbs is expected to be released some time in august

Which year ? haha

No but really I don't see it coming out in Aug.. there's always a delay !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

BLissIRL wrote: »
    To the guy above most if not all of the modems have been replaced and are docsis 3.0 compliant and they can operate at over 100mbs tapping out at around 130 ish - they will have to replace modems for peeps going to the 400mb service when introduced next.
    and who told you that exactly?

the router that UPC have been rolling out for the last year or so (the one everyone has been complaining about on here) is the Cisco EPC2425 which is only certified as EuroDOCSIS 2.0 compliant, not v3.0.

for reference, it's clearly stated on both the Cisco spec sheet and by Cable Europe (who grant the certifications) and since EuroDOCSIS 2.0 is only good up to 55Mbit/s I don't see how the current Cisco EPC2425 is up to the job, particularly as I have had it confirmed by a UPC engineer in June that they would need to replace all the Cisco routers and & scientific atlanta modems for the 100Mbit/s rollout.

he also agreed that it was totally ridiculous since v3.0 kit is backwards compatible with v2.0 (and v1.1 & 1.0) and has been available for quite a while now and they could have been rolling out kit compatible with v3.0 the whole time and saved themselves (and more specifically their engineers) the job of re-rolling out new kit again next month.

also, where did you pluck that 130Mbit/s from? :confused: EuroDOCSIS 3.0 equipment is fine up to either 200 or 400Mbit/s depending on how many channels are used.

NeVeR wrote: »
    Which year ? haha

No but really I don't see it coming out in Aug.. there's always a delay !!
    August WAS the delay.

UPC was originally supposed to be bringing all their European partners in line with 120mbps in "Spring 2010" (inc. Ireland) in the original announcement, then it was "June 2010" when Ireland was the only one left without the upgrade, then they revised it again recently down to 100Mbit/s with a launch of August this year.

since "August" is officially starting in less than a month, I reckon we might well have seen the end of the delays, but who knows how well it's going to go after the problems with the 20-30mbps upgrades, but fingers crossed the stress testing that was done for that upgrade was enough for them to shore up everything so it's fit for the move to 100Mbit/s. :)

I can't see another delay coming myself. If there was going to be one it would have been announced already.

My guess is there will be a few problems with some people at first but lets hope nothing to serious. I can't wait until i get to say damn my 100mb line is only going 70mb/s, thats really going to make me think of 5 years ago when 512kb dsl lines were the $hit!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

They'll just post out new modems to people who upgrade to 100mbits. They don't need to change every modem. Plenty of existing subscribers will stick with sub 30mbits for the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The DOCSIS 3.0 > 30MBps is totally compatible with the up to 25Mbps existing DOCSIS 2.0 Modems. They only need to give a new Modem Router to people on higher speeds.
    The new Modem simply combines 2 to 5 existing 8 MHz channels to one person, one of which can supply 250 "ordinary customers". The issue was chopping up long coax feeding many many streets to cables only feeding part of a street from a cabinet or box fed by fibre.

No doubt the delay was simply it was taking longer than thought to change the cable topography and add the fibre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

I cant even get upc bb here but yet they have wired the whole road for there new services :mad: Hopefully it will be available here when it launches :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

My current (wireless) stats on the 20 Mbs package.
    875275063.png
    20166433.png

Seeing as this 30 -> 50 upgrade seems likely, I'm planning on going for the 30 Mb free upgrade on Monday. Do I just ring them up (the link on their website seems to be gone, and I prefer the personal touch anyway) ? Any advice would be appreciated.

• Advertisement

My current (wireless) stats on the 20 Mbs package.
    875275063.png
    20166433.png

Seeing as this 30 -> 50 upgrade seems likely, I'm planning on going for the 30 Mb free upgrade on Monday. Do I just ring them up (the link on their website seems to be gone, and I prefer the personal touch anyway) ? Any advice would be appreciated.

I would have assumed that they already upgraded you. i got mind straight away(didnt mind the 12 month contract) but they said everyone will get the upgrade for free anyway in may.

maybe you had to ring up and ask for it, im not sure. but at this point im guess ringing up and asking for the new line shouldnt be a problem.

No, it was the usual, I rang them about the start of May about something else, then asked about the auto-upgrade. They told me it was happening in June. :rolleyes: Now its half way through July...don't want to get left behind. I'm not fussed about the contract these days either.

No, it was the usual, I rang them about the start of May about something else, then asked about the auto-upgrade. They told me it was happening in June. :rolleyes: Now its half way through July...don't want to get left behind. I'm not fussed about the contract these days either.

Ah sure at this point the 100mb is just around the corner. my guess they are trying to hold people off until then.

I'am looking forward to the upload speed increase.

Ah sure at this point the 100mb is just around the corner. my guess they are trying to hold people off until then.

Same here, you can see from the speedtests I posted that 20 -> 30 won't make much of an impact on me, but 20 ->50 would be very nice. I'll worry about the 100 Mbs when I know what I'd do with it ...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 fitzy94

FYI UPC have already begun their rollout of the 100mb service in limerick last week ....
    Read this on sunday business post :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Speed tests are erratic above 10Mbps and often useless above 20Mbps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

This would be sweet, wouldn't pay 70 per month just for broadband myself but wouldn't mind a free upgrade to 30 or 50mb :)

watty wrote: »
    The DOCSIS 3.0 > 30MBps is totally compatible with the up to 25Mbps existing DOCSIS 2.0 Modems. They only need to give a new Modem Router to people on higher speeds.
    good to know that, thanks watty.

it was sounding like they'd be re-rolling out new modems for everyone, which would have been a total PITA.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 BLissIRL

ok vibe66 we will see what happens at rollout.
    I can get the ratings from websites too its not that hard the modem i have is the scientific atlanta and it taps out at 130mbps on doc 3.0 the device IS doc 3.0 compliant/ready .

I can decompile a docsis modem config file deploy it to a clone of my sub and show you it works.

I stand over my orig statement that they will only change modems for 400mb customers.

The modem can be upgraded via isp and then more channells used as you say would be an option, but the docsis standard 3 uses higher compression algorithms and speed is achieved this way - using more channels would eventually reach a ceiling point .

• Advertisement

I always assumed they were launching 120mb(like everywhere else upc is).

BLissIRL what do you mean they will only change the modems for 400mbs customers!!

I hardly think if they ever went to 400mb they would just have 100mb and 400mb, Anything over is impossible on the scientific atlanta as they only support 100mb speed on there ethernet connection. Not sure if they even support docsis 3.0

Advertisement