Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rumor: 100mb broadband from upc by the end of this month

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 BLissIRL

ok well i guess im wrong wrong wrong wrong ok then you lot believe what ever you like.

yes 400mb packages are in the pipeline for 2011 august time again.

As i have said to sell out 100mb packages which they are doing the modems we have are all fine and compliant .

hense why there is no mention of 120 like in the dam.

The modems we have will run at that speed also . (i have seen them run myself)

over 130mb which is where all these modems tap out is another reason on the lan side we can only get 100mb - newwer models have gig on them and then would warrant a replacement for those who do not have gig on lan- the take up on this 100mb package or over will be very low as the price is not comparable to UPC.nl prices.

they are not advertising more than 100mb here so heanse again why we will not need modem swap out on a mass scale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

BLissIRL wrote: »
    ok well i guess im wrong wrong wrong wrong ok then you lot believe what ever you like.

yes 400mb packages are in the pipeline for 2011 august time again.

As i have said to sell out 100mb packages which they are doing the modems we have are all fine and compliant .

hense why there is no mention of 120 like in the dam.

The modems we have will run at that speed also . (i have seen them run myself)

over 130mb which is where all these modems tap out is another reason on the lan side we can only get 100mb - newwer models have gig on them and then would warrant a replacement for those who do not have gig on lan- the take up on this 100mb package or over will be very low as the price is not comparable to UPC.nl prices.

they are not advertising more than 100mb here so heanse again why we will not need modem swap out on a mass scale.

I'm not saying you are wrong, yes its possible the current modems can do docsis 3.0( I don't know) im just saying there is no word of a 400mb package and telling us to believe what we want is just stating the obvious. You could be spot on but as i said there is no proof on either matter.

It would be great if they did a 400mb next year but as we all know there is always delays with upc.

To be fair to upc they have been on time in the major areas ie in cities in terms of their role out announcement plans.

CHORUS were the people who were to blame for shody cable networks - failing cam units - services and support.

Hense the move and rebrand over to upc who bought them 3 years back.

400MB is coming to irl next year wait and see.

ratings of modems v's actual real capabilities are also two different things.

IE i buy a cpu 4 gig quad - they are all capable of faster but are rated to whatever spec they want to sell them at.

these scintific atlanta modems once updated with doc 3.0 will run at 100mb no worreis its over 130mb that they start to show anomolies and reboot problems or disconnects.

I have spent many years playing on their network snmp and such can reveal alot about the internal upc network. (try solar winds run a range scan and you will be keenly suprised)

getting these modems to run faster than the isp says they can run is a well documented fact and easy to impliment only UPC will come down on you very hard if caught.

Thor wrote: »
    I always assumed they were launching 120mb(like everywhere else upc is).

BLissIRL what do you mean they will only change the modems for 400mbs customers!!

I hardly think if they ever went to 400mb they would just have 100mb and 400mb, Anything over is impossible on the scientific atlanta as they only support 100mb speed on there ethernet connection. Not sure if they even support docsis 3.0

ill give you this correction they will change modems out for any package over 100MB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

To be fair to upc they have been on time in the major areas ie in cities in terms of their role out announcement plans.

CHORUS were the people who were to blame for shody cable networks - failing cam units - services and support.

Hense the move and rebrand over to upc who bought them 3 years back.

400MB is coming to irl next year wait and see.

ratings of modems v's actual real capabilities are also two different things.

IE i buy a cpu 4 gig quad - they are all capable of faster but are rated to whatever spec they want to sell them at.

these scintific atlanta modems once updated with doc 3.0 will run at 100mb no worreis its over 130mb that they start to show anomolies and reboot problems or disconnects.

I have spent many years playing on their network snmp and such can reveal alot about the internal upc network. (try solar winds run a range scan and you will be keenly suprised)

getting these modems to run faster than the isp says they can run is a well documented fact and easy to impliment only UPC will come down on you very hard if caught.

Sure this update was supposed to be in spring! they have had delays before, Its just in most cases they try not to annouce anything before hand so any delay wont be noticed by us.

• Advertisement

Penetration of modem types is an unkown here too neither of us really knows how many makes and models of a particular type are out there and with snmp scanning alot of new modems have snmp on public side off while connection is up so results are best guess for scanning with solar winds or other such tools.

And yes i have read the 400MB service is likely to be next year but hell im gonna be happy with upgraded 30mb to 50mb with 6 up lol faster than most eircom cunstomers download lol.

bottom line is they will change however amount of modems required to satisfy hungry throughput whores hanging out here reading this now !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Anyone getting the 100 MB package will be getting a new modem.
    UPC have stated as much, and as for the 400MB, I'm not so sure that UPC Coax would be up to the job.

Seeing as UPC are still not finished rolling out their current Coax upgrades, I couldn't imagine that they will impliment a whole new batch by next August as you suggest.

Why would UPC want to roll out 400MB so soon?
    There is no preassure on them from other providers, so I'm fairly sure all their efforts will be on rolling out the current area upgrades before they worry about pushing to quadruple the speeds that they don't even have yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I reckon UPC should go for 400mb as soon as possible. They would be 10-20 times faster than any other operator here and would absolutely decimate Eircom etc in the cities. They'll do that with 100mb anyway, but with 400mb it would be even more of a killing.

Theres no way Eircom etc can get anywhere near 50mb, let alone 100 or 400.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Theres no way Eircom etc can get anywhere near 50mb, let alone 100 or 400.

Which proves the point that 400mb would be a total waste of time and money from a business perspective. There is no way its going to happen in the next few years. It would also have very limited appeal to consumers.

They would get a far better return continuing with the existing roll
    out and upgrade plans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

ok vibe666 we will see what happens at rollout.
    I can get the ratings from websites too its not that hard the modem i have is the scientific atlanta and it taps out at 130mbps on doc 3.0 the device IS doc 3.0 compliant/ready.
    great, maybe you can get a job re-flashing all the scientific atlanta and cisco modems for UPC to save them having to roll out new modems to their 100mbps customers?

you should also make a point of calling Cisco to let them know that they needn't bother adhering to the Cable Europe certification standards, I'm almost positive they wouldn't run as stringent tests as you do before certifying hardware, particularly last July when they were certifying hardware from Cisco and others for use in EuroDOCSIS3.0 environments, during which time they DID grant EuroDOCSIS2.0 certification to the EPC2425 (proof that it was part of the test group), BUT they specifically failed to award it EuroDOCSIS3.0 certification when they could easily have done so if it was up to the job.

luckily for me (on boards.ie at least), the burden of proof lies with the person making undocumented claims, not the one citing verified sources. :)

you've yet to give us anything other than your opinion that any of this is anything other than total fantasy, whereas I have shown links to verify my claims.
    I can decompile a docsis modem config file deploy it to a clone of my sub and show you it works.
    congratulations, you are much cleverer than I am in that regard, but it doesn't matter one tiny bit what YOU can do with it because even if you could modify it to run at 1gbps safely, without certification by an authorised body it simply cannot be used, end of story. and again, you've shown no evidence for this whatsoever. unless you feel like offering some proof of your claims they are meaningless.
    I stand over my orig statement that they will only change modems for 400mb customers.
    you can stand over it all you like, but you are wrong (again), and have shown us nothing to convince anyone otherwise.

in NL, where I'm sure you know UPC have been selling 120mbps broadband for well over a year now, they have been replacing the EPC2425 on the fiber power 60, 90 & 120 connections for existing customers who had them and have upgraded from the slower packages, which is no doubt something to do with the lack of certification of the EPC2425 for EuroDOCSIS3.0 use. :rolleyes:
    The modem can be upgraded via isp and then more channells used as you say would be an option, but the docsis standard 3 uses higher compression algorithms and speed is achieved this way - using more channels would eventually reach a ceiling point.
    yes, up to the 400mbps limit of v3 as we have both already said, but since v4 hasn't made it out of the lab yet and is far from certification, I don't see speeds over 400mbps any time soon, particularly as DSL still has a long way to catch up (and no sign that it's going to any time soon), there is very little incentive for anyone involved with cable internet to push it further than the 400mbps that it is already capable of (with the right hardware).

if UPC were planning on rolling out anything faster than 120mbps in europe then the first place it's going to happen is in their home territory in the Netherlands and since it will have been just about 2 years since their 120mbps pilot by the time WE get 120mbps and there's not even a whisper of that yet in NL, I imagine you'll be standing over your statements for a very long time before we actually see anything over 120mbps. of couse I'll be happy to apologise next year if we do get another speed increase (not counting the missing 20mbps on top of the 100mbps that we need to catch up fully with NL, obviously) as I am happy to admit to my mistakes on the occasions (and there's been a few, i don't mind admitting) when I am wrong. :)

you seem to me to be very intelligent based on your descriptions of the wonderful things you have been able to achieve with the EPC2425, so if you are so sure of yourself i imagine it would be a trivial matter for you to offer some kind of proof for your statements instead of us having to take you at your word that you know more about the EPC2425 than either the people who made it, OR the people who certified it for use on European cable networks.

unfortunately we get a lot of people on here who talk a good deal about this that and the other but never seem to be able to back anything up, so i'm sure everyone will be looking forward to your next reply.
    And yes i have read the 400MB service is likely to be next year but hell im gonna be happy with upgraded 30mb to 50mb with 6 up lol faster than most eircom cunstomers download lol.
    this would be a nice easy place for you to start. links to proof of this please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

that's just completely mean laughing at us poor farmers down here in the back end of nowhere :(:(:(:(

When is UPC gonna be coming to rural cavan....:(:(:( i envy you dubs this 1 time... just this 1 time...

• Registered Users Posts: 31 SD021

vibe666 wrote: »
    this would be a nice easy place for you to start. links to proof of this please.
    UPC launches 100Mbs service in Limerick
    Sunday, July 04, 2010 - By Adrian Weckler
    UPC has begun to roll out its new broadband service of 100 megabits per second (Mbs). The cable provider has already launched the service in Limerick.

Next month, the operator is due to launch a 100Mbs service across most of its 550,000 Irish user-base. The service is likely to cost in the region of €75 per month.

A senior executive at Liberty Global, which owns UPC, said that the company would eventually offer a 400Mbs service around the country.

Speaking at a broadband conference last month, Manuel Kohnstamm, head of UPC's public policy and communications division, said that the company would continue to invest in major new router technology for its subscribers.

Meanwhile, Eircom has begun trials of fibre to-the-home technology that deliver speeds of up to 100Mbs.

The incumbent operator has come under pressure in recent months to increase the broadband speeds available on the network, due to pressure from rivals such as UPC.
    Just throwing that in there :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

75 euro is a bit too tasty for my liking tbh. I'll probably stick with 42 euro for 30Mb until it gets cheaper, especially if it has the same FUP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Euro DOCSIS 2.0 modems can only use one 8 MHz channel.
    DOCSIS 3.0 Modems can "bond" multiple 8MHz channels. It's not just software, but extra hardware.

Exactly what the top speed of a single channel is depends on symbol rate (affect inter-channel guard band size), F.E.C. (affects packet loss on UDP and amount of TCP resends, more gives more impulse noise immunity but lower speed) and QAM (higher QAM needs better Eb/No, i.e. either more power or lower noise).

On ADSL2+ 24Mbps exchanges the AVERAGE line speed will be 6Mbps to 9Mbps. i.e. half the people get less and half get more. Probably less than 15% can get more than 20Mbps.

Universal 30Mbps on Cable beats eircom nearly 4:1 on average. Also lower latency usually.

Note "weasel" phrase
    Meanwhile, Eircom has begun trials of fibre to-the-home technology that deliver speeds of up to 100Mbs.
    It's VDSL on copper from fibre fed cabinet. 20Mbps to 30Mbps is more likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

SD021 wrote: »

Ther's a big difference between "eventually", and "next year".

I'm sure that even Eircom plan to bring 400MB speeds eventualy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

I'm sure that even Eircom plan to bring 400MB speeds eventualy.

without laying fibre to the home or coax

how do they intend on doing that...

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    without laying fibre to the home or coax

how do they intend on doing that...
    the same way they "eventually" brought DSL to Ireland in the first place.

first of all, they will wait for someone to invent something capable of delivering 400mbps DSL and then wait some more until it has become almost obsolete and then roll it out to a few people on a trial, cock it up and eventually figure out how to make it work just in time for another ISP to come out with something 5 times faster.

then they'll make a huge song and dance about it in the media and make out like they're bringing 'next generation' broadband to the masses. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

the same way they "eventually" brought DSL to Ireland in the first place.

first of all, they will wait for someone to invent something capable of delivering 400mbps DSL and then wait some more until it has become almost obsolete and then roll it out to a few people on a trial, cock it up and eventually figure out how to make it work just in time for another ISP to come out with something 5 times faster.

then they'll make a huge song and dance about it in the media and make out like they're bringing 'next generation' broadband to the masses. :rolleyes:
    Eircom will be long gone before they ever get to offer 400Mb broadband. They don't have the capital and never will. Their Market share and their revenues are shrinking and their debt is going up. Dead man walking!

SD021 wrote: »
    the key word there being "eventually". they'll be doing 1gbps "eventually" too and we'll all "eventually" have neural implants and flying cars. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

You guys are talking about 100Mb and 400Mb packages when sadly the max I and those around me can get is 1Mb :(

• Advertisement

You guys are talking about 100Mb and 400Mb packages when sadly the max I and those around me can get is 1Mb :(
    then move somewhere else. :)

it's all subjective. you live where you live and there are pro's and con's of that, just as there are where everyone else lives.

you could move to a farty little apartment in japan for instance and have no room to breathe but console yourself with a 1gbps FTTH connection for about 20 quid. see, all subjective. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

then move somewhere else. :)

it's all subjective. you live where you live and there are pro's and con's of that, just as there are where everyone else lives.

you could move to a farty little apartment in japan for instance and have no room to breathe but console yourself with a 1gbps FTTH connection for about 20 quid. see, all subjective. :)

I wish I could move somewhere else, only 15 now so I've no proper say in the household yet ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

When I was 15 I had to write letters and ask permission to use the phone. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭denisor

This is an interesting conversation, I would love to try out a 100mb download, Im on a 7mb dsl from eircom now and to me its honestly epic, I see the hard drive market booming soon! Im considering a move to UPC for the 30mb but run a home office and want to know more about the phone reliability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

denisor wrote: »
    This is an interesting conversation, I would love to try out a 100mb download, Im on a 7mb dsl from eircom now and to me its honestly epic, I see the hard drive market booming soon! Im considering a move to UPC for the 30mb but run a home office and want to know more about the phone reliability.

You may want to look at their business packages. I think 100 Mbs may be available on them.

denisor wrote: »
    i have the UPC phone and i can't say i'd recommend it for a business as it's not as reliable as a regular phoneline due to it being tied to the broadband connection. i.e. if your broadband connection goes, so does your phone line. not ideal for business imho. i did have some pretty major problems with it as well and UPC took many months to get it resolved although it does look to be much more stable now.

Advertisement