Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do Germans reject German?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Fuinseog wrote: »
    Irgenwer muss mich erklären warum das so ist. es wäre lächerlich wenn ich Deutsch mit Amerikanern, Briten oder Iren in Deutschland reden würde.

I'm guilty of doing that sometimes ...particularly when talking with Germans who I don't know at all.

For the reason I refer to my post in the other current thread about "Sie" und "Du".

So ...here I am, talking to this German person that I don't know from Adam, have never met before and might not (want to) ever meet again.

If I were to speak to them in German, I would have to address them formally with "Sie" and Herr oder Frau soundso ...which is a bit weird when you're used to speaking English all day, using first names and being pretty informal. Just doesn't roll off the tongue that easily, particularly when you're a bit out of practise.

So then I'm thinking about adressing that person in German and with "DU". But that automatically implies a certain familiarity that I might actually not be comfortable with, seenashow I don't know that person. You know, call them "Du" and by their first name and they'll be inviting themselves for dinner for years to come :D thinking they just found a new best friend.

So much easier talking to them in English and keep the whole affair superficial and noncommital.:D

It does get really awkward though if their English is poor ...then you look like a complete fool :D

EGAR wrote: »
    Ich nehme jetzt einfach mal so an, dass wir uns altermaessig nix geben :D.

Ein hoeflicher Mensch fragt eine Dame ja nicht nach dem Alter, aber ich nehme mal an, dass du richtig annimmst :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

22 plus standard Irish VAT :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

peasant wrote: »
    I'm guilty of doing that sometimes ...particularly when talking with Germans who I don't know at all.

For the reason I refer to my post in the other current thread about "Sie" und "Du".

So ...here I am, talking to this German person that I don't know from Adam, have never met before and might not (want to) ever meet again.

If I were to speak to them in German, I would have to address them formally with "Sie" and Herr oder Frau soundso ...which is a bit weird when you're used to speaking English all day, using first names and being pretty informal. Just doesn't roll off the tongue that easily, particularly when you're a bit out of practise.

So then I'm thinking about adressing that person in German and with "DU". But that automatically implies a certain familiarity that I might actually not be comfortable with, seenashow I don't know that person. You know, call them "Du" and by their first name and they'll be inviting themselves for dinner for years to come :D thinking they just found a new best friend.

So much easier talking to them in English and keep the whole affair superficial and noncommital.:D

It does get really awkward though if their English is poor ...then you look like a complete fool :D

zu viel nachdenken macht kopfweh.
    you guess their age and gender. young people are not too pushed about formalities and its up to the woman to decide Sie or du.with younger peopel I sometimes compromise by saying Frau Inge.

22 plus standard Irish VAT :D.

39++ (+x :D)

• Advertisement

I sometimes compromise by saying Frau Inge.

Nein, also das waere mir zuuuu peinlich ...das ist ja wie Frau Clementine aus der Ariel Werbung ...dann doch lieber englisch

Lol, sag ich doch, gleiche Generation :p. Wenn jemand zu mir Frau Sarah sagen wuerde, dann braeuchte ich neue Unterhosen.

Ich bin erbarmungslos im Umgang mit anderen Deutschen hier in Irland. Ich rede alle mit Du an, besonders am Telefon - da kenn ich kein Erbarmen!

Lol, sag ich doch, gleiche Generation :p. Wenn jemand zu mir Frau Sarah sagen wuerde, dann braeuchte ich neue Unterhosen.

Ich bin erbarmungslos im Umgang mit anderen Deutschen hier in Irland. Ich rede alle mit Du an, besonders am Telefon - da kenn ich kein Erbarmen!

ich habe geschäftlich viel mit Deutschen zu tun und rede alle automtaisch mit Sie an. besser Vorsicht als Nachsicht und als Ire muss man sich beweisen, dass man mit den deutschen Sitten, auskennt.

Mach' ich im Prinzip schon auch so (am Telefon sowieso) aber wie immer gibt es solche und solche.

Da sind zB die jungen Studenten/Studentinnen die hier jaehrlich im Herbst frisch einschlagen. Wuerde ich die gleich so plump vertraulich dutzen, kaeme ich mir vor wie ein schleimiger Kinderschaender der sich and sie ranmachen will.
    Oder andererseits die alten, stocksteifen Grundsatzdeutschen, die mit dem Ferienhaus und dem teutschen Ordungswillen ...den Teufel werd' ich tun und mich denen auf eine Stufe begeben ...weder per sie und erst recht nicht per du.

Hier gibts es auch ein paar TEUTONEN mit Ordnungswahn und immer frisch poliertem Auto - auf sowas hab ich keinen Bock.

Aber lustig fand ichs als deutsche Touristen mich photografieren wollten - war zu Pferde und mit Hunden unterwegs. "Du fragst sie, dein Englisch ist besser!", "Nein, du fragst sie, du bist ein Mann, du weisst doch wie stolz die Iren sind!". :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭sourwine

ich habe nie behauptet, das du herablassend bist.

Ich wollte nur wissen, ob Du mich gemeint hast. Dann ist ja alles ok. Gut dass man solche Missverständnisse klären kann ;)

@Egar: Oh nein, oder? :D Und hast Du Dich dann fotografieren lassen als stolze Irin oder hast Du sie eingeweiht?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Ich gehoere zu einer Generation in der Dialekt noch in Ordnung war. Gut, um im Leben ein bischen vorwaerts zu kommen musste man auch zu meiner Zeit schon Hochdeutsch einigermassen beherrschen, aber Dialekt war durchaus akzeptiert.

Heute ist es so, dass die meisten Kinder und Jugendlichen keinen Bezug zum Dialekt mehr haben. Selbst Kinder die aus Familien kommen in denen zuhause noch staendig Dialekt gesprochen wird, sprechen spaetestens ab dem Kindergarten nur noch Hochdeutsch und erziehen dann ihre Eltern auch noch gleich um.

Warum das so ist weiss ich auch nicht ...ich weiss nur, dass ich es grausam finde.
    In Austria dialect is very much a part of life here. Southern Germany too from what I have seen. I'll just ignore the Swiss cause I think that's a different language :D

In Austria I think people are quite proud of their dialects! Or maybe it is ignorant of other dialects - not quite sure on that one! As an example I can often understand what someone else means in a different dialect before sometimes an Austrian can (Usually words that are either different with the same meaning or the same word that is mangled beyond belief and then spoken with a strange accent). People to me seem reluctant to want to try and understand others with a different dialect and/or accent.

Hochdeutsch is of course normal on TV and in schools (mostly for written stuff).

Imposter wrote: »
    In Austria I think people are quite proud of their dialects! Or maybe it is ignorant of other dialects - not quite sure on that one!

I don't think it's ignorance against other dialects if people speak their own dialect. It is a part of home. I only realised that when I left my home village, that dialect is apart of the identity. Personally, I don't often use my dialect because nobody would understand me. :( On the other hand, I can decide to use my dialect, e.g. if I speak to a customer and realise that he comes from my home area. Why not make him feel more comfortable by dropping in a tiny little bit of dialect?
    People to me seem reluctant to want to try and understand others with a different dialect and/or accent.

Oh yes, some people really don't accept anything that sounds a little different from "Hochdeutsch". Although I think it's a sign of respect to speak as clearly as possible, I wouldn't want people to completely reject their "home sound". At work I often hear comments like "Ah, it was one of those Bavarians again and I didn't understand a single word". :rolleyes:

sourwine wrote: »
    @Egar: Oh nein, oder? :D Und hast Du Dich dann fotografieren lassen als stolze Irin oder hast Du sie eingeweiht?

Aber sicher doch :D - ich geistere jetzt in irgendeinem deutschen Familienalbum ueber den tollen Irland Urlaub herum. "Und das war eine stolze Irin auf ihren Zigeunerpferd mit ihren Jagdhunden, hach, was sind die Iren doch naturverbunden!"

Man will ja schliesslich keine Illusionen verstoeren ;).

In Austria dialect is very much a part of life here. Southern Germany too from what I have seen. I'll just ignore the Swiss cause I think that's a different language :D

In Austria I think people are quite proud of their dialects! Or maybe it is ignorant of other dialects - not quite sure on that one! As an example I can often understand what someone else means in a different dialect before sometimes an Austrian can (Usually words that are either different with the same meaning or the same word that is mangled beyond belief and then spoken with a strange accent). People to me seem reluctant to want to try and understand others with a different dialect and/or accent.

Hochdeutsch is of course normal on TV and in schools (mostly for written stuff).

many Austrains cannot or will not speak Hochdeutsch, which is fine speaking to fellow villagers but not not very welcoming towards outsiders. Outsiders sometimes include fellow Austrians.
    when the styrians were resettled in Voralberg after the war it wasn't long before Ausländer raus signs appeared.
    bist ka Tiorler, bist ka Mensch...

understanding an accent is one thing, you just have to listen a little harder. radically different vocabulary, well sin sceal eile.

I don't think it's ignorance against other dialects if people speak their own dialect. It is a part of home. I only realised that when I left my home village, that dialect is apart of the identity. Personally, I don't often use my dialect because nobody would understand me. :( On the other hand, I can decide to use my dialect, e.g. if I speak to a customer and realise that he comes from my home area. Why not make him feel more comfortable by dropping in a tiny little bit of dialect?

Oh yes, some people really don't accept anything that sounds a little different from "Hochdeutsch". Although I think it's a sign of respect to speak as clearly as possible, I wouldn't want people to completely reject their "home sound". At work I often hear comments like "Ah, it was one of those Bavarians again and I didn't understand a single word". :rolleyes:

Food is one of the reasons why Bavarians and Northeners do not get along. hamburgers visit the free state and do not understand the menu. if they ask for a translation they get treated like Scheiße. if southeners go up north and say Grüß Gott then then just get a smart reponse.

Food is one of the reasons why Bavarians and Northeners do not get along.

Southerners and northerners get along famously (when they have a Rhinelander in the middle to despise equally :D)

Food is one of the reasons why Bavarians and Northeners do not get along. hamburgers visit the free state and do not understand the menu. if they ask for a translation they get treated like Scheiße. if southeners go up north and say Grüß Gott then then just get a smart reponse.

Fuinseog, is there a possibility that you have some prejudices? Where do they come from? Maybe I added to that by writing about Northeners not understanding Bavarian dialect but that was not my intention. Sorry if it came across that way. It's only some people, never all of them.

So, all those negative things you mention through this thread, did you experience them yourself?

Southerners and northerners get along famously (when they have a Rhinelander in the middle to despise equally :D)

whats wrong with the Rhineländer? they gave us Blue Nun and Blacktower.

whats wrong with the Rhineländer? they gave us Blue Nun and Blacktower.

Please help me out, what's that - Blue Nun and Blacktower?

• Advertisement

Fuinseog, is there a possibility that you have some prejudices? Where do they come from? Maybe I added to that by writing about Northeners not understanding Bavarian dialect but that was not my intention. Sorry if it came across that way. It's only some people, never all of them.

So, all those negative things you mention through this thread, did you experience them yourself?

we all have prejudices and we can never generalise. I am seeking information here and that will be enhanced through different opinions offered here. most of the negative things I did indeed experience first hand.

Ok, then I am really sorry that you had to make such experiences. I can ensure you, this is not how it is in general.

Please help me out, what's that - Blue Nun and Blacktower?

take a trip to Dunnes and have a gander at the German wine. nobody drank wine here in the 70s. the zuppies started drinking it in the 80s. these two wines are cheap plonk but were regarded as híghly refined by then.these days there are better german wines on offer but everyone knows these two.

then again if you based in hamburg the trip to dunnes may not be so easy

these days there are better german wines on offer but everyone knows these two.

maybe that's why I don't know them ;) I mean, in the 80s I did more whining than wining and later I got to know the better wines.
    then again if you based in hamburg the trip to dunnes may not be so easy

Although I did a lot of food shopping in Dunnes (and Tesco as well) I think I bought all my wine elsewhere (depending on special offers). But now.... now I can buy a bottle of wine in reasonable good quality for 5 EUR, not for 15 EUR and more :p

*sneaks in* ..Bavaria doesn't really belong to Germany... *sneaks outs*

:D:p:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭F.A.

wo kann man craic-gaudi- spass erleben? ich suche das hier in einem pub. ich höre gern irische volksmusik, aber in deutschland kann man das nur bei eine Burschenschaft erleben. wer in die alt deutsche schrift schreiben will wird sofort als rechtsradikale eingestuft. nicht nur in deutschland. ich war in Österreich angepobelt, weil ich die österreichische Fahne auf meine Ski mutze trug.

Nun mal Butter bei die Fische! Deutsche Volksmusik erfreut sich bei jungen Deutschen ungefähr der gleichen Beliebtheit wie irische Volksmusik unter jungen Iren - weswegen man erstere in etwa genauso selten in Kneipen hört wie zweitere in Pubs. Es gibt diese Kneipen und Pubs, aber sie bilden hier wie da eher eine Ausnahme. Hier in Limerick, der Stadt mit den angeblich meisten Pubs, habe ich jedenfalls noch keine irische Volksmusik dargeboten bekommen. Vermutlich liegt das daran, dass ich es vorziehe, die beliebteren Pubs aufzusuchen statt mich auf die Suche zu begeben nach abseits gelegenen und vermutlich hauptsächlich von älteren Iren frequentierten Lokalitäten. Davon abgesehen sind die Öffentlich-rechtlichen Fernsehanstalten in Deutschland weit davon entfernt, auf die in schauriger Regelmäßigkeit zelebrierten Klatschorgien (Musikantenstadl, Achims Hitparade und wie sie sich alle schimpfen) zu verzichten, die unter der Bezeichnung "volkstümliche Musik" dir persönlich womöglich Freude und oben genannten Rundfunkanstalten offensichtlich auch hohe Einschaltquoten bescheren, während der Rest des Fernsehpublikums reflexartig zur Fernbedienung greift (Stichwort: Fremdschämen). Volksmusik ist einfach nicht jedermanns Sache, weder in Irland noch in Deutschland. Ich hege jedoch starke Zweifel daran, dass etwaiges Interesse daran von deutschen Mitmenschen als Zeichen einer rechtslastigen politischen Überzeugung gedeutet wird. Es wird sich vielmehr um Unverständnis und Ungläubigkeit ob eines vermeintlich fehlgeleiteten Faibles handeln.

Was Burschenschaften (die im übrigen in der Rechtsextremismusforschung zum Teil äußerst kritisch beäugt werden) damit zu tun haben, erschließt sich mir nicht.

Im Übrigen ist man gut beraten, sich etwas ausführlicher zu belesen, bevor man Schreibern der Altdeutschen Schrift Rechtstümelei unterstellt. Bekanntermaßen wurde diese nämlich unter Hitler abgeschafft. Wer solche Argumente gebraucht, bedient sich dümmlicher Plattitüden, offenbart grobe Lücken im eigenen Geschichtswissen und disqualifiziert sich somit von vornherein für ein Gespräch, das es wert wäre, geführt zu werden.

Letzter Punkt: Wer Deutsche kritisiert, weil sie ein etwas angespanntes bis zerrissenes Verhältnis zur eigenen Sprache und Kultur zeigen, dem sei ein Buch zur deutschen Geschichte des 20. Jahrhunderts empfohlen. Wie unschön, unnütz und nervend dieser deutsche Zwiespalt auch sein mag - verständlich ist er wohl allemal.

Oh, and a small piece of advice to other Irish people getting worked up about German hangups - maybe look at your own rather, erm, complex relationship with the English. Yeah, some Irish people are far more balanced than your average German - they have a chip on each shoulder.

Im Übrigen ist man gut beraten, sich etwas ausführlicher zu belesen, bevor man Schreibern der Altdeutschen Schrift Rechtstümelei unterstellt. Bekanntermaßen wurde diese nämlich unter Hitler abgeschafft. Wer solche Argumente gebraucht, bedient sich dümmlicher Plattitüden, offenbart grobe Lücken im eigenen Geschichtswissen und disqualifiziert sich somit von vornherein für ein Gespräch, das es wert wäre, geführt zu werden.

Letzter Punkt: Wer Deutsche kritisiert, weil sie ein etwas angespanntes bis zerrissenes Verhältnis zur eigenen Sprache und Kultur zeigen, dem sei ein Buch zur deutschen Geschichte des 20. Jahrhunderts empfohlen. Wie unschön, unnütz und nervend dieser deutsche Zwiespalt auch sein mag - verständlich ist er wohl allemal.

.[/QUOTE]

so ein wundervolles gehobenes Deutsch!
    Ich traue mich nicht mehr auf deutsch zu schreiben.
    german history is interesting. there are still a lot of people who scream 'nazi' once they hear the word 'German' or indeed someone speaking German. there was a big debate in Germany a few years back when the president was to address the Israeli parliament whether it would it be offensive to speak German.
    People like to forget that it was the language of Marx, einstein and Freud, yet still enslaved by the holocaust.
    i dislike the way Germans are promoting English over their native langauge and in this regard I do not stand alone. english may be the 'world langauge' but German is or was the language with most native speakers in the EU.

regarding the old German script f I were to have a shop sign in the old German Gothic lettering would that be regarded as ultra conservative? one hardly sees it in Germany.

there are differnet types of Irish folkmusic and in some arts of teh country a sesion is more normal than in others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭stephanus

What a thread! :D
    Mit diesem Thema habe ich tagtäglich zu tun. Ich beschäftige mich privat und früher auch beruflich sehr viel mit Sprache, vor allem Deutsch und Englisch.
    Unser Problem mit dem Deutschen ist, daß wir eine sehr große Sprechergemeinschaft sind. Wir hatten es nie nötig, uns mit anderen Sprachen auseinanderzusetzen, weil es immer Übersetzungen und Übertragungen gegeben hat. In einer großen Sprechergemeinschaft gibt es mehr Nachfrage oder ein interessiertes Publikum an einer fremdsprachigen Produktion. In kleinen Sprachgemeinschaften lohnt sich das weniger, daher ist der Drang zum Beherrschen einer Fremdsprache größer und es lohnt sich mehr. Dies aber führt wieder dazu, daß man sich bewußter mit dem Thema Sprache auseinandersetzt und sich der Unterschiede bewußter wird und bewußter mit sprachlicher Kreativität umgeht.

Das haben wir Deutschen nicht. Bis vor einigen Jahren war selbst der Englischunterricht in Bayern stark gefördert, aber ich konnte nach sechs Jahren Englisch kaum einen Satz sprechen (somehow rings a bell with compulsory Irish :D), weil es in einem rein deutschsprachigen Umfeld vor der Globalisierung keine Notwendigkeit zum flüssigen Beherrschen es Englischen gab.
    Erst in den letzten Jahren hat die Globalisierung eine wahre Flut ausgelöst. Englisch ist jetzt in und chic.
    Und jetzt kommt das fehlende Sprachbewußtsein zusammen mit dieser Flut.

Kurz: Wir haben nie gelernt auf unsere Sprache stolz zu sein, weil sie für uns viel zu selbstverständlich war und ist.
    Und deswegen blutet mein Herz jeden Tag aufs Neu! *heaving the biggest sigh so far today*;)

Advertisement