Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First tattoo - any advice

Options
  • 17-06-2010 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭

Hi, new to this forum.

I'm sitting for my first ever tattoo on Saturday morning. Going for a half sleeve kirituhi design which will be drawn on freehand before being inked.

I have no points of reference as to what the experience will be like. I expect to be sitting for up to three hours after the design is marked out. And I'm told the pain is akin to burning (someone said it's like scratching sunburn).

Beyond that I'm clueless but looking forward to it. Been planning it for years (and already past the age of 40), so I guess I'm just curious to know what your first experiences were like, and if you have any advice.

I know threads like this are probably commonplace, so if you want to redirect me to a similar one that's grand.

Thanks

u.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

I think the pain tends to be different for everyone. I got my first tattoo, my only one, done between my shoulder blades not far below the neck line. Mines fairly big and has a lot of solid black so it took a while and had to be filled again a few weeks later.

Pain wise it wasn't too bad, certainly not as bad as I was expecting, but it does hurt a little. It was worse on bony the area's (my spine). Someone else described it as someone flicking an elastic band against your skin, which fairly well described what I was feeling. It was fairly boring as the tattooist was as bland as could be, no chat, just the buzzing.

I think the main thing is the aftercare in the days following. The tattooist will tell you everything you need to know. Mine was a bit sensitive for a few days after with the scabbing. The main thing is just to be careful and follow his instructions to make sure it doesn't get infected.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I got my first there about 4 weeks ago. It's a weird feeling, moreso uncomfortable than painful. It's nothing unbearable though. It does feel similar to burning. Make sure you have something good to eat beforehand and have a drink of water with you if you'll be there for a long period of time. Also don't be afraid to ask for a little break if it's getting too much for you :)

Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

got my first and last one done when i was 16 that's 14 years ago, wasn't to bad, i found the outline more painful than the colouring in, all in all it was fine.

Being a female i went with a peace dove on my upper arm, never felt the urge to get another one.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

unionman wrote: »
    I have no points of reference as to what the experience will be like. I expect to be sitting for up to three hours after the design is marked out. And I'm told the pain is akin to burning (someone said it's like scratching sunburn).

I`d say its more like getting a multi pointed needle hammered into your skin over and over for a few hours :D:D:D

Seriously though--The sunburn is a good comparison.Its like a hot scratchy feeling in the spot where its being done.Its not painful at all--well I dont find tattoos painful anyway.

if you have any advice.

Sit back,enjoy the experience,dont drink the night before or take any aspirin based products before getting it done.
    Make sure the artist is clean ie new needles and tubes(in the case of tubes freshly claved ones are ok) opened in front of you,if using a razor make sure its new,.Check that the place looks clean.

Really--common sense prevails here in the case of the above.

And most of all post a pic of the fresh work in the "I`ll show you mine thread"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Sit back,enjoy the experience,dont drink the night before or take any aspirin based products before getting it done.
    Make sure the artist is clean ie new needles and tubes(in the case of tubes freshly claved ones are ok) opened in front of you,if using a razor make sure its new,.Check that the place looks clean.

Really--common sense prevails here in the case of the above.

And most of all post a pic of the fresh work in the "I`ll show you mine thread"

Thanks Hellrazer. Absolutely will throw the pic up in that thread.

Re safety advice, yes, very conscious of that too, but appreciate the detail in your advice, very helpful.

Reputable artist (features in the sticky here), comes with friends recommendations too and health certification prominently displayed in what I thought was a very clean looking place. That's all comfort stuff I guess, what you've added here is the important bit, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Thanks for the advice folks. It all went really well. Enclosed pic shows my tattoo after two hours of great work (by John in Ink Well tattoo). Going back in July to complete it. I'm delighted with it.

I was unduly fixated on the pain issue before hand. I can honestly say it wasn't a problem on the day. Akin to sunburn I guess.

Will post this in 'I'll show you mine' thread.

inked.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Nice smooth even lines and curves. I likes! :)

Advertisement