Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Writing Down More Answers

• 17-06-2010 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭

For example,
    If it said one way which a knowledge of dormancy helps farmers, and I put two ways, but only one is right, I get no marks?
    Whats the case for Q's like that where there is more than one possible answer?

For Hypothesis, I put down: an explanation (or best guess) based on observation

Would I lose marks for the words in brackets?

I remember a teacher saying before for Business or something to put down as many as you can think of, but now I heard they get cancelled?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

In Biology and Music there is negative marking. But only in section A in biology AFAIK, and no you won't lose marks for the brackets...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

also french and I think engineering too... definitely french anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

Yeah cancelling applies, like if the question is "what one colour is the sky" you write down in Biology (and Chemistry is the same) "The sky is blue and red" the blue is right but the red is wrong so they cancel and you get a wonderful zero :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

What I do in French, or similar subjects, is if I am unsure about something, I put the answer I am least sure about in brackets, with a single line through. They can't penalise for excess, but they just might give me the highest scoring one (but it's unlikely).

If I am unsure in subjects like maths whether to do the question one way, or the other, I do both (time allowing), and they have to correct both and give me the highest mark (I think). I don't bother with brackets in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

only in section A in biology AFAIK,
    I like the sound of this, I think I did it a lot in Section C today..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭EvilLlamaThingy

Something I'm curious is, if suppose they omit something from the marking scheme that could be right, and a biology teacher would know it's right (but sees it's not on the marking scheme) Would you get marks for it? Or if you have that and the right answer would you cancel your right answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

Something I'm curious is, if suppose they omit something from the marking scheme that could be right, and a biology teacher would know it's right (but sees it's not on the marking scheme) Would you get marks for it? Or if you have that and the right answer would you cancel your right answer?

A lot of the time in the biology marking schemes it says 'or explained', I suppose this would give you wiggle room

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Yes. I'm not familiar with Biology, but most marking schemes say something along the line 'Methods shown are not exhaustive and other correct solutions may be accepted'.

Advertisement