Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord question.

Options
  • 17-06-2010 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭

I just received a phone call from a welfare officer who is going through accomadation rent allowance for an ex tenant of 2 months.

They want proof from me he rented here for that time and that I should have given him a lease or tenancy agreement when moved in. Bearing in mind I'm still living in the house. So I believe this is incorrect for a start

He was a right pain and left me owing 240 euro on top of his deposit.

Do I have to give this letter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

very strange. Did you fill n forms at the time ? If not then he shouldnt have been able to get rent allowance so theres no reason for the CWO to be asking you now.

if you did fill in forms at the time they should already have the detail. Id be telling them you will give them detail when they agree to furnish you with the arrears this guy left you with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

That's exactly what I did say but she said I should have supplied him with a contract. If I'm not mistaken if tenants are living with landlords they have pretty much no rights and I as a landlord do not have to reg with the prtb right

correct. you dont have to supply a lease agreement or register with the PRTB

You do have to submit an end of year return to the revenue even if you took in less than the rent a room allowance (stupid but you still have to) apart from that no other obligations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

Under the rent a room scheme, you dont pay tax or register with prtb ,if you have one single tenant, but to get ra a tenant is supposed to get a lease or rental agreement from the landlord.
    IT MIGHT just say i live here, i pay x amount rent, weekly ,my name, landlords name etc signed by landlord.it doesnt need to be a 12 month lease with a fixed time limit.you still need to make a tax return, even though theres no tax to be paid,on the first ten k approx.
    some people claim ra in adress x, in order to get the dole, even when they no longer live there.

ricman wrote: »
    Under the rent a room scheme, you dont pay tax

WRONG please stop posting incorrect detail on this forum. If you earn over the threshold for rent a room you pay tax and that threshold is not rental income but any income so it considers money recieved for bills etc.

If your going to post on here please make sure its accurate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

Under the rent a room scheme,you do not pay tax if the rental income is under x amount ,see revenue.ie for MORE detailed information.AS i posted there is a limit on it.

ricman wrote: »
    Under the rent a room scheme,you do not pay tax if the rental income is under x amount ,see revenue.ie for MORE detailed information.AS i posted there is a limit on it.

only after you edited your post when you were showin to be wrong .... very good :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Ye that's grand he was only here two months so nothing to worry about

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

D3PO wrote: »
    only after you edited your post when you were showin to be wrong .... very good :rolleyes::rolleyes:

:pac: at this stage I come into this forum for the D3PO and ricman show.
    Always brings a smile to my face.

Zamboni wrote: »

If I ever met him Id buy him a pint

only if hes bought me earplugs though ;):p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

OK, chillax folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

Zamboni wrote: »

I'm new to this show, but in ricman's defence, I have to say that the editing of his post was done only 4 minutes later, and it was more than half an hour before D3PO's post.

Advertisement