Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Answered Required

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Pav2b/2011,
    Its the hands on experience that I am lacking. Thats why i was thinking of training to become an electrician.

I would like to get into PLC's and automation side of things. I was hoping to get a copy of the these from an electrician but no look so far. Can anyone answer the questions I have attached and send them to me.

Normally the individual that builds the PLC panel is not the same person that programme it. On projects that I have been involved in recently one company builds the PLC cabinets, another company (the E & I contracor) installs them and connects the field wiring and another company programmes them.

I think you need to decide which of those three areas you would like the best. I would think the latter. Each of the three contractors has to have some understanding of the other two to make it all work.

Keep us posted as to how you get on. It should be interesting. Good luck with whatever you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭NoseyMike2010

I am going to start learning ladder logic and try implementing this to real systems. I must try and get some sort of simulator on the net to practice on.

I would like to know how to build the cabinets and descide what would go into them. This would be my 2nd option.

I will keep you guys posted .... and I am sure I will have loads of questions to be asking. :) Thanks for all the help though. Much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

Hi,I'm having trouble answering the truth table Q1 on paper 3 that is in the opening post.

Can anyone explain the theory of it,Cant figure it out even looking through my phase 6 notes :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭pieface_ie

S1 & S2 are both connected to a AND gate meaning both switches must be true or “on” to get a output which I have called C1 in the drawing.

S3 is connected to a OR gate meaning that it will accept the output from the AND gate or it will accept the input from switch S3. Basically meaning there’s two options available and it will accept either of them to power K1.

Hope this makes sense.

56342040.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

NoseyMike2010, what did you do the degree in?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

Cheers thanks for your help,think I've got it under control now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭pavb2

Had a brief exposure to plc's many years ago Siemans,AllenBradley,Mitsubishi but the most simple one I found for training was the GE fanuc, the logic seemed to replicate more easily switches and components in the field and was more drag drop programming rather than entering lines of text.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭NoseyMike2010

Stoner wrote: »
    NoseyMike2010, what did you do the degree in?

Electronic Engineering

Advertisement