Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will I ever use Irish again??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I am delighted that i neva have to see irish again.
    THE fact tat it was forced upon me made matters 50x worse!!
    if u spoke irish in the us, they would think u were speaking russian or somthing!!

well english was forced on us hundreds of years ago, it seems you didnt learn it very well either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Teifeach

I am not at all heartened by negative comments about Irish, I think its very sad that people hate it because I love it and try and use it.

well i will say this you Have misunderstood me , cause i feel exactly the same ... so i reckon we are on the same side ... im not sure weather you agree or not ............ But in their defence , i can now see where they are coming from ,

Teifeach wrote: »
    is mór an trua go bhfuil muid ag scríobh i mBéarla anseo , agus tá mé cinnte go bhfuil Gaeilge mhaith ag roinnt agaibh lol Cárb as achan duine ? as Doire mise ...

I can understand what you said but I cant spell very well because I never need to write in Irish. I think its important to have it but its up to the individual to use it. I hated leaving cert Irish but thats because it was too easy for me as I was schooled thru Irish since the age of 6.

It's great to hear it spoken up north, I try to use it in Donegal. It's also great for using in foreign countries where nobody else will know what you are saying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

Everyone talking about how you would laugh in the face of a Spaniard who couldnt speak spanish is just ridiculous. Yes, we're Irish, but English is our language! If you go into any shop one of these days and asked for your clothes in a different size or a refund in Irish, you'd get a confused face as a result.
    People dont get excempt from learning english here, they can get excempt from learning Irish!! English is the language we speak here, so if we cant speak irish its not because were idiots, its because its unnecessary and frankly a waste unless you plan to become a teacher or something like that.

Spanish is the main language in Spain, the majority of the country speaks Basque/ Catalunian because its their culture. If we had no choice but to speak Irish, we would, but English is the main language, so we shouldnt feel ashamed in not being able to speak it!

And saying its our own fault for not being able to speak its - bullsh*t. If 3/4 of the nation cant talk properly after 14 years, theres obviously a problem with the system, not us.

Bhuel mura miste libh scríobhfaidh mise cúpla focal anseo anois agus arís , ná bígí buartha mura bhfuil sibh in ann mé a thuiscint níl ann ach piosa craic , :)

• Advertisement

TaraR wrote: »
    I Went to an All Irish Primary & Secondary School And I Haven't Used A Word Since I Left. Its Pointless In My Opinion Because There Is No Use For The Language Unless You Want To Be A Irish School Teacher.

is your second name Reynolds?

muffinz wrote: »
    Everyone talking about how you would laugh in the face of a Spaniard who couldnt speak spanish is just ridiculous. Yes, we're Irish, but English is our language! If you go into any shop one of these days and asked for your clothes in a different size or a refund in Irish, you'd get a confused face as a result.
    People dont get excempt from learning english here, they can get excempt from learning Irish!! English is the language we speak here, so if we cant speak irish its not because were idiots, its because its unnecessary and frankly a waste unless you plan to become a teacher or something like that.

Spanish is the main language in Spain, the majority of the country speaks Basque/ Catalunian because its their culture. If we had no choice but to speak Irish, we would, but English is the main language, so we shouldnt feel ashamed in not being able to speak it!

And saying its our own fault for not being able to speak its - bullsh*t. If 3/4 of the nation cant talk properly after 14 years, theres obviously a problem with the system, not us.

English is not our Language ,Not if you are Irish anyways. We use English as a language that dosent make it ours .. as for going into a shop and using Gaeilge , that would just be silly. I know many many Irish speakers who are not planning on being a techer or something like that .. No need whatso ever to feel ashamed ,, but thats how people feel as well as anger and frustration. And it rears its Ugly head in many ways , All you have to say is i cannot spek Irish , i Never learned it , i have no interest in it, But this resentment to others who have taken their hard earned time and money and learned and the stupid its a waste of time and its a dead language is beyond me , and i have absolutely no time for people of that nature. Either learn it or leave it alone and go find your own thing , dont get off on keeping Irish down , we have enough of those kind of people here already.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Hatred

Bhuel mura miste libh scríobhfaidh mise cúpla focal anseo anois agus arís , ná bígí buartha mura bhfuil sibh in ann mé a thuiscint níl ann ach piosa craic , :)
    This man speaks the truth.

Seriously though I have no clue what you just said... thus demonstating the failure of irish teachers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭FordieMUFC

Reading some of the Comments makes me ashamed , and im sure that those with all the Negative comments about Irish are not , But you al should be (Youse Dare To Call Yourself Irish, my Window is more Irish than some of the people who have posted on here) . Irish is a Beautiful Language , yeah its hard to learn ... so what. Its Our language. I started learning almost 10 years ago late into my 30's , was it tough? yeah at times , was it worth it? without a shadow of a doubht. I live in the North and i use Irish almost every day with friends and online , i could not imagine life without the ability to speak my Native toungue. Its what separates us from the other Countries , i cannot Understand the need to learn French , German, Spainish when you cannot even speak your own language. Imagine learning Spainish and going to spain , and the first Person you meet is a Spainard who cannot speak Spanish , you would think what a Fool.. Do you that there are any German , French , Spainish kids who cannot speak their own Native toungue , i,d say NO.
    Tá mé cinnte gur dtuigeann sibh an píosa , Gaeilge abú.
    Theres a big difference. It's our native tongue as it is the Spanish/French etc... It's not our first language though. It's theirs. :rolleyes:
    It is so pointless to be able to speak it nowadays. No longer do you need it to be a garda, the most commonly spoken languages spoken after Chinese (which is only because the sheer size of population) is English, then Spanish. German and French are up there too. Going on holidays being able to speak the tongue would be a lot more useful than being able to speak Irish and if you're looking for a job, saying to a company you can speak Irish isn't gonna look half as impressive or even interesting as being able to speak french spanish or german.

Hatred wrote: »
    This man speaks the truth.

Seriously though I have no clue what you just said... thus demonstating the failure of irish teachers

and you are innocent , demonstrating the art of passing the buck .. next you will be saying i insulted you although you dont know what i wrote , such is the nature of the beast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Irish has to be the only completly pointless language being kept "alive" for no good reason.

Everyone speaks english, so there's no need to actually learn it. It's of no benefit anywhere else in the world, and it's not actually ever used in Ireland. It's 100% useless.

It's also completely useless in jobs. Why would anyone feel it's a benefit to be able to speak a pointless language? It's not going to help in getting any job tbh. It's as good as dead, yet they just won't let it die. Instead, it's forced down the neck of people who don't want to learn it, in the worst possible teaching curriculum ever known to man. Learning something like french, or german, which is actually used in quite a few parts of the world would be much more worthwhile.

I didn't learn Irish, it was forced down my neck, unwillingly, because it's STILL a stupid requirement for the leaving cert. I'd rather have learned something like japanese, as far away as japan is, and for all the chances I may have to use it, i'd probably benefit more than learning irish.

You want to know how useful Irish is to students today? It's not useful at all. Wearing a tie to an interview is a much better asset to have.

The sensible thing to do, if it is to be preserved, is let the people who actually want to preserve the language, learn it and teach it. Remove it from the education curriculum as a requirement, but have it as an option. And completely change the course so it's not outdated by 50 years, means NOTHING to anyone learning now, and isn't actually forced rote learning of drivel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Ní ábhar í, is teanga í. Is sise an theanga is áille ar an domhan. Mar Teifeach, Is foghlaimeoir fásta mé agus is breá liom ag baint úsáid mo chuid Gaeilge. Sílim go bhfuil sí níos éasca foghlaim mar duine fásta ná scolaire. Nuair a théann sibh go hollscoil bhur rogha, ba cheart daoibh glacadh páirt sa chlub na Gaeilge. Beidh craic mór agaibh. Geallaim sibh

FordieMUFC wrote: »
    Theres a big difference. It's our native tongue as it is the Spanish/French etc... It's not our first language though. It's theirs. :rolleyes:
    It is so pointless to be able to speak it nowadays. No longer do you need it to be a garda, the most commonly spoken languages spoken after Chinese (which is only because the sheer size of population) is English, then Spanish. German and French are up there too. Going on holidays being able to speak the tongue would be a lot more useful than being able to speak Irish and if you're looking for a job, saying to a company you can speak Irish isn't gonna look half as impressive or even interesting as being able to speak french spanish or german.

OMG you would learn another language to go on holiday how silly is that i go somewhere different every year , i should be bilingual by now lol according to your logic. Its pointless to you not to me and we all have an opinon.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭DeBrugha

Wow, all I can say is this thread is absolutely terrible. All of these comments about Irish being is a dead language, well who ever here called it a dead language as far as I am concerned is a complete gob****e and knows nothing about traditional Irish culture and too influenced from England.

I am from Ireland originally and live in England, I learned my Irish on my own by self study and I have to say its such an easy language once you get use to it. The people who are learning it at school that don't learn anything, I'd advise you to study it on your own outside school and then you will wipe the floor with your teacher.

And once again a dead language? I've been to places in Ireland mainly Galway and have heard Irish everywhere by everyone, if you learn the Irish language its everywhere and it isn't dead then because you will be involved and know where to find speakers etc.

Also, about Irish being forced on people. What aload of bolox, seriously; English was forced on most of the population of Ireland a few hundred years ago by force and violents by the British so English was forced down peoples throats.

Also why is it so hard for most of you to be fluent in 2 languages? Look at Luxembourg, they speak 3 languages. In Holland most is fluent in Dutch and English.

Don't forget, Irish is part of all your culture it is the language your ancestors spoke, its been in Ireland longer than English, all the place names in Ireland originate from the Irish language. Speaking Irish is a great way of proving your Irishness, and its such a shame for such a beautiful language to be taught in a terrible way, I don't like the way its taught but nothing is going to be done about it.

If everyone thinks ''Irish is a dead language, no point in speaking it'', well if everyone has that attitude then that will be the case, so its up to all of you to change that and then it will be very useful!

Carry on speaking English and disliking the Irish language, following the exact same thing the British made the Irish people do in Ireland some time ago.

The Irish language will always remain in my heart, and I will always be speaking it. I speak it with my friends, when I go to Ireland etc, so much to name!

Irish has to be the only completly pointless language being kept "alive" for no good reason.

Everyone speaks english, so there's no need to actually learn it. It's of no benefit anywhere else in the world, and it's not actually ever used in Ireland. It's 100% useless.

It's also completely useless in jobs. Why would anyone feel it's a benefit to be able to speak a pointless language? It's not going to help in getting any job tbh. It's as good as dead, yet they just won't let it die. Instead, it's forced down the neck of people who don't want to learn it, in the worst possible teaching curriculum ever known to man. Learning something like french, or german, which is actually used in quite a few parts of the world would be much more worthwhile.

I didn't learn Irish, it was forced down my neck, unwillingly, because it's STILL a stupid requirement for the leaving cert. I'd rather have learned something like japanese, as far away as japan is, and for all the chances I may have to use it, i'd probably benefit more than learning irish.

You want to know how useful Irish is to students today? It's not useful at all. Wearing a tie to an interview is a much better asset to have.

The sensible thing to do, if it is to be preserved, is let the people who actually want to preserve the language, learn it and teach it. Remove it from the education curriculum as a requirement, but have it as an option. And completely change the course so it's not outdated by 50 years, means NOTHING to anyone learning now, and isn't actually forced rote learning of drivel.

outta respect to you i reread your post 3 times , and still fail to find your point accept that you Alone find Irish useless and drivel ,and you are more than entitled to your opinion .. would be better underdtood if you actually had a point and maybe the odd fact or two.
    You always have the option of buying a nice tie and moving to China , but i have a feeling its all hott air lol

OMG you would learn another language to go on holiday how silly is that i go somewhere different every year , i should be bilingual by now lol according to your logic. Its pointless to you not to me and we all have an opinon.

You missed the point. He did not say learn a language just to go on holiday. He said in the case of learning EITHER something like Spanish or Irish than over all Spanish would be more useful in that you can commuinicate with another group of people. The only people who speak irish can aslo fluently speak english. It is a debate of the usefulness of the language. Is it useful enough to warrant a place as a compulsive subject for the leaving cert? I think not.

Edit: just so you know I do not care about a dead language like irish nor irish culture. I believe culture is an obsticle in the way of global unification. I'd rather the whole world speak ONE language. Sure its kinda cute to have region dominated languages and seperate language making giving ireland an identity or 'independance'. But practicaly irish is a waste of time.

The only people who speak irish can aslo fluently speak english. It is a debate of the usefulness of the language

And.... and your point? Bilingualism is the future, you know people who speak two languages do better in things that people speak one language, its healthy to speak two languages instead of one, Irish speakers has twice the vocabulary than a ordinary Joe monoglot has.

Also mostly every Dutch person speaks English, are you going to say that Dutch is a useless language to learn as well?

You missed the point. He did not say learn a language just to go on holiday. He said in the case of learning EITHER something like Spanish or Irish than over all Spanish would be more useful in that you can commuinicate with another group of people. The only people who speak irish can aslo fluently speak english. It is a debate of the usefulness of the language. Is it useful enough to warrant a place as a compulsive subject for the leaving cert? I think not.

i agree Irish speakers can speak English also , but why have a dog and bark yourself , if you have it use it ... you want to learn another Foreign language be my guest , but i have asneaky feeling that excuse is all it is .. an excuse , cause if you cannot be bothered to learn Irish you wont learn the other LANGUAGE ..... GO prove me wrong , .. i showed my passion and love and learned Irish .. i put my money where my mouth is ... so far al i have heard is hott air and excuse , why not write somethg in Chinesse , Russian .. go on or better again revisit you favourite excuse site and find some other feeble excuse.

Edit: just so you know I do not care about a dead language like irish nor irish culture. I believe culture is an obsticle in the way of global unification. I'd rather the whole world speak ONE language. Sure its kinda cute to have region dominated languages and seperate language making giving ireland an identity or 'independance'. But practicaly irish is a waste of time.

You do know that Irish will be that ONE language :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

You always have the option of buying a nice tie and moving to China , but i have a feeling its all hott air lol
    Already have a few and have already been to china. Any other questions? :p

• Advertisement

I think Hatred is English originally, doing exactly what the British made the Irish to do.

i agree Irish speakers can speak English also , but why have a dog and bark yourself , if you have it use it ... you want to learn another Foreign language be my guest , but i have asneaky feeling that excuse is all it is .. an excuse , cause if you cannot be bothered to learn Irish you wont learn the other LANGUAGE ..... GO prove me wrong , .. i showed my passion and love and learned Irish .. i put my money where my mouth is ... so far al i have heard is hott air and excuse , why not write somethg in Chinesse , Russian .. go on or better again revisit you favourite excuse site and find some other feeble excuse.

What excuse? I do not want to waste my time learning a language when I can just as easily communicate in english.

Your arguements don't make anysense. Give me a couple of good reasons why someone should learn irish/speak it.

Crosáidí wrote: »

Maith thú a chara aontaim leat go hiomlan lol na bí ag éisteach lein na hamadáin seo :)
    DeBrugha wrote: »
    I think Hatred is English originally, doing exactly what the British made the Irish to do.

Ná bac leis a chara ,

DeBrugha wrote: »
    Bilingualism is the future,

Bilingualism is the present, 60% of the world's population have 2 or more languages. But because English is the lingua franca Irish people think we don't need other languages. Well its not always going to be and where will we be then. Our great great grankids will be cursing us for letting our beautiful indigenous language die.

The Slovenes revived their lingo, they have 2m speakers, why is it so hard for us

An bhfuil tusa ag foghlaim a chara ?

Is léir go raibh an bua againn i measc na hamadáin anseo a Theifeach, caithfidh siad a ghabháil amach níos minice :)

Tá, ar IGTF a chara :D

Beidh fáilte romhat anseo, a Theifigh
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=904

What excuse? I do not want to waste my time learning a language when I can just as easily communicate in english.
    Give me a couple of good reasons why someone should learn irish/speak it.
    You sound like a right lazy cac in my opinion...

1. It's the National Language of Ireland: Irish is the first official language of the Republic of Ireland and has recently gained official recognition in the six counties of Northern Ireland under the Good Friday Agreement.

2. Cultural Identity of the Irish people: The most important distinguishing characteristics of a culture are usually contained within its language. Irish thus plays a paramount role in the Irish national cultural identity and is priceless repository of all that is truly Irish.

4. The New Irish Renaissance: Irish is currently going through a major renaissance and more people are able to speak and write Irish today than have been able to for over 150 years. More books, newspapers and magazines have been published in Irish in the past century than in the entire history of the language.

5. Irish now in the mass media age: Irish language broadcasts can now be heard daily from radio stations such as Raidió na Gaeltachta, and Raidió na Lifé. In 1996 the Irish language television station, Teilifís na Gaeilge, (TG4),started broadcasting news, documentaries, children's shows and even soap operas as Gaeilge.

6. Irish in the computer age: The ancient tongue of the Gaels has also entered the computer age and numerous Irish websites, chat rooms, and even online language courses like www.Gaeltalk.net now exist.

7. Valuable heritage for up to 70 million people from the Irish Diaspora: Official estimates indicate that there are more than 70 million people of Irish descent around the world. In the 1990 US census, 40 million people described themselves as Irish. Irish is a valuable cultural link in the shared history of all these groups.

8. Source of meaning for Irish surnames, personal names and place names: Irish place names, surnames and personal names are well established throughout the world and are not just limited to Ireland itself. The Irish language provides the key to understanding the rich, fascinating milieu of Irish heraldry, genealogy and place names.

9. Guide to other Celtic Languages and English: Irish is the oldest surviving Celtic language and as such is a valuable resource and guide to the other Celtic languages. Irish is the father of two other Celtic languages, Scots Gaelic and Manx, to which it remains extremely closely related. Irish is a valuable source of many English words and expressions such as: whiskey, loch, glen, slew, smithereens, you're welcome, kibosh, and even our furry feline friend the cat owes its name to Irish.

10. Irish literature, folklore and proverbs: Irish is the only language north of the Alps to have any extensive surviving ancient and medieval literature and as such it is studied at all major universities through out Europe and even as far off as North America and Australia. Ireland has the world's largest collection of folklore and proverbs of which the vast majority is only available in Irish.

11. Increase in all Irish medium primary and secondary schools: All Irish primary and secondary schools are springing up across Ireland and an agreement on designating four Irish language universities is now in place.

12. Ireland's need to maintain its identity in the EU: Ireland's recent entry into the EU has highlighted Ireland's need to maintain its unique identity through its language. Irish is becoming more and more a part of the Irish national identity as well as gaining increasing popularity with both Irish and non-Irish abroad.

Beidh fáilte romhat anseo, a Theifigh
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=904

Maith thú , agus go raibh mile maith agat sin go hiontach , tá sé rud beag mall anois ach amharcfaidh mé orthu amarach nuair a bheidh nios mó ama agam :)

• Advertisement

Cé hé tusa ar IGT?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement