Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will I ever use Irish again??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭lila44

in my personal life, I never ever see myslef having to use irish ever again. it is dying out, our generation has no interest, nor need to use the language! time is better spent learning european languages! I myself am trying my hand at Finnish, the other half's language! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Folks, this is not Teach na nGealt.

Like the rest of Boards, English is the normal language.

Either use English, or provide a parallel translation.

Go raibh mile ... ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

DeBrugha wrote: »

Cé hé tusa ar IGT?

czam2007, a chara

czam2007, mate :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Teifeach

Go raibh mile ... ! :)

Really sorry / Brón orm , New to the forum / Gabh mo leithscéal :o

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Evan93

I find the arrogance of some people in this thread appalling. For one, Irish is no longer a means of communication; it is used merely for national identity and you "pro-irish" people don't try kid yourselves that you use it for a means of communication.

If I go to France/Spain/Germany and I am lost I will need a certain level of their langugae to get my way out of the problem. However, if I visit Ireland I do not need Irish,because English is our language. We see here that learning a foreign language is certainly more beneficial.

I find it insulting to say that the Irish language is who we are. We live in the 21st century, I think we have the right to say who we are and determine whether or not we speak a language which essentially serves no purpose at all. It is in the tradition of the Irish country to be Christian, as stated in the Constitution. We are a Christian country. Your logic dictates that if I cease to speak Irish I am essentially not being Irish. So, therfore if I cease to be Christian am I also not being Irish?

It's silly that people fight for a silly cause.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭DeBrugha

Go raibh mile ... !

Since this is a forum related to Ireland, and Irish is the first official language shouldn't the Irish language be an exception on here? Irish and English can both be spoken on the threads, that would make more sense...

Is léir go raibh an bua againn i measc na hamadáin anseo a Theifeach, caithfidh siad a ghabháil amach níos minice :)
    You sound like a right lazy cac in my opinion...
    Please also remember that Boards (ALL forums) has a "no personal abuse" rule ... in English nó trí Ghaeilge!

For one, Irish is no longer a means of communication

I guess you have never been to an area where Irish is the main language? Try Galway, Donegal, Kerry....

Its so funny, on this thread I've seen so much nonsense written on here that isn't true and I just can't help myself correcting.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Since this is a forum related to Ireland, and Irish is the first official language shouldn't the Irish language be an exception on here? Irish and English can both be spoken on the threads, that would make more sense...

You may be forgetting the fact that not everyone actually knows Irish, despite it being forced down their neck for 10+ years for the sake of 1 exam. For the most part, everyone does, however, understand english. There is an Irish forum if you want to speak Irish, otherwise, the language to be used is English.

I wouldn't advise arguement with a mod btw.

No.

This issue has been debated ad nauseam ad infinitum in my years on Boards, and the admins / site owners have given their decision on it. It stands.

Please note that this is a privately-owned site, the owners could choose to conduct it through Serbian if they wished, the Official Languages Act or the "first official language" is absolutely irrelevant.

• Advertisement

Please also remember that Boards (ALL forums) has a "no personal abuse" rule

This is the world we live in, be a realist most of here are adults. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

I guess you have never been to an area where Irish is the main language? Try Galway, Donegal, Kerry....

Its so funny, on this thread I've seen so much nonsense written on here that isn't true and I just can't help myself correcting.

So if I go to Kerry right now I will be obliged to speak Irish , I will be dependant on Irish to get through a day? Because I think the Gaeltachts is the only place where Irish is the main language. Irish isn't widely spoken, many people don't care about it :)

Evan93 wrote: »
    I find the arrogance of some people in this thread appalling. For one, Irish is no longer a means of communication; it is used merely for national identity and you "pro-irish" people don't try kid yourselves that you use it for a means of communication.
    That's a pretty arrogant statement in itself, btw.

Many of my cousins speak Irish as their first language; a few even struggle in English.

This is the world we live in, be a realist most of here are adults. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.
    If you can't follow the rules, get out of the forum!

Blunt enough for you? :)

You may be forgetting the fact that not everyone actually knows Irish, despite it being forced down their neck for 10+ years for the sake of 1 exam. For the most part, everyone does, however, understand english. There is an Irish forum if you want to speak Irish, otherwise, the language to be used is English.

I wouldn't advise arguement with a mod btw.

i have no intention of argueing with a Mod , or anyone else for that matter , i,ll move along thank you very much to the Irish section ,And leave you all with your Negativity to Gaeilge and Continious circle or debateing it , was fun while it lasted :)
    Slán / Goodbye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Badhbh

Your logic dictates that if I cease to speak Irish I am essentially not being Irish. So, therfore if I cease to be Christian am I also not being Irish?

I've been following this thread tonight. And I have to say that is amongst the stupidest comments yet.
    Religion has nothing to do with it. And Teifeach did not say that it did. With the attitude of a lot of you we will need the immigrants to this country to advance Irish in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Badhbh wrote: »
    I've been following this thread tonight. And I have to say that is amongst the stupidest comments yet.
    Religion has nothing to do with it. And Teifeach did not say that it did. With the attitude of a lot of you we will need the immigrants to this country to advance Irish in the future.

Actually, it's not that stupid. There's more reference to Christianity in the Irish constitution than there is to the Irish language. I think it's a fair point tbh.

That's a pretty arrogant statement in itself, btw.

Many of my cousins speak Irish as their first language; a few even struggle in English.

All well and good having some Irish pride, but when it effects English, which is more important in Ireland than Irish , then English should be prioritised. That's my opinion anway.

If you can't follow the rules, get out of the forum!

Blunt enough for you?

Aren't you the smart one, nice come back!

If I go to France/Spain/Germany and I am lost I will need a certain level of their langugae to get my way out of the problem. However, if I visit Ireland I do not need Irish,because English is our language. We see here that learning a foreign language is certainly more beneficial.

I find it insulting to say that the Irish language is who we are. We live in the 21st century, I think we have the right to say who we are and determine whether or not we speak a language which essentially serves no purpose at all. It is in the tradition of the Irish country to be Christian, as stated in the Constitution. We are a Christian country. Your logic dictates that if I cease to speak Irish I am essentially not being Irish. So, therfore if I cease to be Christian am I also not being Irish?

It's silly that people fight for a silly cause.

pro- Irish whats that mean , you are either Irish or you aint , how you wrangled it around to Religion and why ? is way past me ....

• Advertisement

pro- Irish whats that mean , you are either Irish or you aint , how you wrangled it around to Religion and why ? is way past me ....

Exactly, its like talking about how to fix an engine of a car then bring bananas into the subject.

Aren't you the smart one, nice come back!
    Banned.

And I shall be speaking to the Admins and the mods of Teach na Gealt about cross-forum trolling.

Good-bye.

Exactly, its like talking about how to fix an engine of a car then bring bananas into the subject.

an old politians trick me thinks , when you cannot deal with the issue at hand , make up a new one lol

Teifeach wrote: »

You're obviously oblivious to the fact that you are using Irish as a means of Irish identity, isn't Christianity also? Therefore the same principle applies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Badhbh

Whether we get banned or burnt at the stake we will defend Irish to the end :)

You're obviously oblivious to the fact that you are using Irish as a means of Irish identity, isn't Christianity also?
    It's a big stretch tbh.

On those grounds, the Philippines are more Irish than the Irish themselves.

You're obviously oblivious to the fact that you are using Irish as a means of Irish identity, isn't Christianity also? Therefore the same principle applies.
    so are a lot of things Culture , History , but thats not my issue its the Irish language , i have noting to say on Christianity ,

It's a big stretch tbh.

On those grounds, the Philippines are more Irish than the Irish themselves.

stretch away ,,,,,,, Everyone else is lol and Yawning lol:cool:

But what I'm trying to get across is that if I do not support the Irish language, does it somehow undermine my "Irishness" ?

• Advertisement

Teifeach wrote: »
    stretch away ,,,,,,, Everyone else is lol and Yawning lol:cool:
    Then yawn elsewhere.

Banned for trolling.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement