Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will I ever use Irish again??

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Teifeach

Evan93 wrote: »
    But what I'm trying to get across is that if I do not support the Irish language, does it somehow undermine my "Irishness" ?
    if you feel that way ............... i never said that , its about how you feel yourself , Everyone is Different ....
    One Great big Melting Pot

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Evan93 wrote: »
    But what I'm trying to get across is that if I do not support the Irish language, does it somehow undermine my "Irishness" ?

Are you less Irish - No
    Does it undermine your Irishness - IMHO Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Then yawn elsewhere.

Banned for trolling.
    :confused::confused: Don't think he was trolling , he was actually agreeing with the post he quoted

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Evan93

Teifeach wrote: »
    i only ask one thing that you dont totally dismis Irish because it was taught as a school subject ... cause thats not what it is ... its way more .. its what you are ..............

Post #82
    it seems that you are implying there that it is what we are

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Crosáidí wrote: »
    :confused::confused: Don't think he was trolling , he was actually agreeing with the post he quoted
    If he was, he needs to learn to communicate better in English.

Even re-reading for a third time, I cannot find that meaning in his post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Get

Have to say its the biggest waste of time you will put into education in Ireland, I knw its out culture blah blah honestly "so what" thats my opinion anywayz. I'm sure many share the same view but are in denial because they spent so many hours learning pointless verbz etc they dont want to admit how much of a waste it really was :rolleyes:

If we learn a language that would benifit us in our lifes, I would ENJOY IT MORE & SEE ITS ADVANAGE ETC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Badhbh

You calling giving your opinion trolling???

Troll: One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument.

So tell me, Badhbh, how do we happen to have 4 gaeilgeoiri suddenly catapulting into the Leaving Cert forum to engage in a debate with LC students?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

ceol18 wrote: »
    please don't tell me you mean states????

Americas, as in the various countries in North and South America. The USA does not have its own language - they use English (which is from England).
    The problem comes back to how it's thought. Forced down the throats of students for 14 years. Not good.
    If it was thought correctly in Primary School, then we'd be a fluent nation

You might want to go back to the drawing board on your English before you start trying to tackle a second language there Ted... :pac:
    i never said that

You implied it here:
    Reading some of the Comments makes me ashamed , and im sure that those with all the Negative comments about Irish are not , But you al should be (Youse Dare To Call Yourself Irish, my Window is more Irish than some of the people who have posted on here

I started learning almost 10 years ago late into my 30's

You're a newbie to Irish. I've been speaking it from infancy and I couldn't give two fecks about the language. But by your standard, I'm more Irish than you, and I'll not have my 'Irishness' questioned by some bandwagon-jumper with romantic ideals about a useless language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 MonkeyMan.

Peter03 wrote: »
    I can't see myself ever speaking Irish again, completely worthless language.

not for 350,000 people it isnt.. worthless??? are you serious??

• Advertisement

FruitLover wrote: »
    You might want to go back to the drawing board on your English before you start trying to tackle a second language there Ted... :pac:
    S/he's not far wrong, though, FruitLover.

And people who think they can force the language down the throats of young people by shouting that "it's part of what ye are, goddamnit!!" do just as much to drive nails into the coffin of the language! >.<

A real pity, imho. My own Irish is not good, but I would hate to see the language die. It pains me to see its so-called friends be its pallbearers.

FruitLover wrote: »
    You're a newbie to Irish. I've been speaking it from infancy and I couldn't give two fecks about the language. But by your standard, I'm more Irish than you, and I'll not have my 'Irishness' questioned by some bandwagon-jumper with romantic ideals about a useless language.

I think it's unfair to post to somebody you know is banned.

I've been a member of Board.ie for a while now. And find nothing unusual about going from one newsgroup to another. Isn't that the whole idea.

ricero wrote: »
    no that language is dead with the dodo thank god il never utter another word of dat terrible terrible language :D

this language is not dead!! what about all the regions around ireland who speak it every day in their lives??? 350,000!!

stainluss wrote: »
    No, I dont believe I will ever use Irish again.

I predict that within 10 years, it will be optional for LC and probably not neccessary for college entry to most courses

It will be then confined to being spoken in remote parts of the country (i.e. Gaeltacht areas) where people will use it just for the sake of it surviving.
    Within 20 years, I think 9/10 people will not know, nor care about how to speak it.

So, IMO, its not looking too good for Gaeilge:p
    it is looking good for gaeilge because it isnt a dying language anymore, its growiing more and more!!this is our native language and some people would love to see the back of her!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

I finished the Leaving Cert four years ago, and I haven't spoken Irish since.

I am, however, now very happy that I can speak the ancestral language of my country, and I'm glad that I was made do it in school, since I would have dropped it like a hot potato given the choice.

Badhbh wrote: »
    I think it's unfair to post to somebody you know is banned.

I've been a member of Board.ie for a while now. And find nothing unusual about going from one newsgroup to another. Isn't that the whole idea.
    I'd like an answer to my question, Badhbh.

I suspect the admins will want an answer tomorrow too ... they take cross-forum trolling very seriously indeed.

gant0 wrote: »
    I'm never ever going to speak thar worthless language ever again.Well to be honest I haven't spoken it since 1st year.The school syllabus for Irish just instilled a hatred for the language in me at an early age!!!

they are changing the syllabus for 2012 and excuse me it is not a worthless language

Emmpty wrote: »
    Spanish kids can speak Spanish because they speak Spanish in Spain.
    Irish kids speak English because as much as you'd like to like to think otherwise, English is the language we speak here.

I'm doing my leaving cert right now and I can honestly say that I couldn't string a grammatically correct sentence together in Irish. I also couldn't tell you how to use the past tense properly in irish. This is after 14 years of learning it everyday.
    But I can tell you how to put your baby in an oven or the ridiculously bad plot of "lig sinn i gcathu".

Wow I can't wait to use all of that useful information in my life.

IRISH IS OUR NATIVE LANGUAGE NOT ENGLISH

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

MonkeyMan. wrote: »
    IRISH IS OUR NATIVE LANGUAGE NOT ENGLISH

Native, not main.

I'd like an answer to my question, Badhbh.

I did give you an answer. There was no conspiracy. I think you watch too much X-files.

I speak Irish everyday. I don't have any need for English in my community. Yet I can speak English fluently. And I'm proud of Irish!

• Advertisement

Native, not main.
    But why isnt it? is it because people are too lazy too learn it?or is it because of the british who ''FORCED'' us, the irish to speak english! most people in ireland now speak english because of what happened in history and now our country is helping to strenghen the native language of another country and not our own!! france speak french as their native tongue but also have english, germany speak their native language and have english, we, who are irish, in ireland have a native that 350,000 people speak irish everyday!people would love to see the back of the language! most of countries in the world have a native tongue but also have english because its useful but why not keep our language alive and speak english too??

Badhbh wrote: »
    I did give you an answer. There was no conspiracy. I think you watch too much X-files.

I speak Irish everyday. I don't have any need for English in my community. Yet I can speak English fluently. And I'm proud of Irish!
    I haven't watched the X-files since I was 10, and that's quite a while ago. I also understand the laws of probability.

Thread closed for admin review of the behaviour of certain visitors here to-night.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement