Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running with a Dog

Options
  • 17-06-2010 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Just wondering if anyone here has any idea about the sort of distances a dog can run without getting too tired or overheating - I've been running with my dog for a while now, she's a three year old cocker (approx. 15 kg) and has had no problems to date with the distances I'm covering but I'm upping the mileage every week and I'm concerned I'll cause her some harm in the warm weather.
    To date she's managed 10-11 miles without any problems but these distances will be increasing over the summer so maybe I should be leaving her at home when I'm going out for longer.

What do people think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Kya1976

Is it 10-11 miles per day or week?
    I used to run quite alot with my RR and husky, but I always tried to go in the mornings when it was a bit cooler. I only did around 4 miles though:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Magnet

Shouldn`t be a problem with some water enroute...
    Used to run up to 22 miles with a dalmation no bother!
    see this
    http://www.athenryac.com/we-can-has-run-now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

As long as you don't suddenly increase the distance by a large amount then don't see why you can't cover whatever distance you want. I'd have thought that a fit dog could run far more than a fit human if they've had the right training, and it sounds like yours has. Obviously it depends on the breed, but as yours is a working breed it should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Cesar Millan does it so it must be fine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 cagney88

I run in the Phoenix park alot with my golden ret. but I noticed she was struggling yesterday when it was really sunny.

Today, I brought a small backpack with a waterbottle for her and halfway through we took a break and she drank some of it. She was grand.

And the backpack adds as a good weight for your run! So everyone benefits :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Distance shouldn't be an issue in cool weather, but just be careful of the warm weather that we're experiencing at the moment. Its not just the temperature that you need to watch, its the humidity as well, which can make it feel much hotter for a dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 boo-urns

Thanks all for the advice - my dog seems happy enough when running so I'll keep going with her and increase the mileage gradually. We have plenty of water stops along the way, as we pass a lot of streams on my running routes and she's happy enough to go in there for a drink.
    I doubt she'll ever be running at the hottest part of the day as I wouldn't be going out in that heat myself!
    I'll try a half mararthon with her this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭doggiewalker00

Mine would have a fit at the thought of going running with me.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I run beside the canal, so Holly can pop in for a drink/a dip when she get too hot. The vet did say that she was fit, and she seems well able to do about 8/9km. Dunno if I'd push her much further though. But when I'm doing 8km, she's probably doing about 15km, with all her running around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Does anyone know where i can get a good quality flexible lead for running?

• Advertisement
Advertisement