Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training log for DCM

Options
  • 17-06-2010 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭

I've decided enough is enough, I need to stop reading through other people's training logs & start one of my own. I have signed up for the adidas race series and hope to run all of the half marathon. I don't really have a goal in mind as regards time, I just want to run it all.

My training lacks structure and I just seem to head off and run and not even time myself properly. I look at the kitchen clock when I leave the house and when I get back!! I'm 35 & I have done 4 5ks, the first being the Rathfarnham 5k, the Sportsworld 5m (43.48) and 2 10ks - the Great Run 57.13 and the womens' mini marathon 53.11

I am starting week 1 of the HH novice training plan for the half marathon. I walk 20-25 mins each morning to/from my son's school so I will say that that is my cross training. Monday was my rest day and Tuesday I ran 3.5miles and 2.5miles last night. I will be tweaking the training plan to fit around family life.
    This evening I will do some strength & stetch exercises and see if I can drag out one of my dusty exercise DVDs to help me along.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

I'm amazed we haven't run (excuse the pun) into each other, many of the same races.
    Good luck with your training, as my esteemed dh ;) (Raycun) said in the other thread do try & form some loose guidelines...I know when I was training for the 10k I just continued on with my 2 5k's during the week and then each Sunday run I'd add an extra half km on to the prev weeks until I got to 9,5. It was simple but it worked. But I'm hoping the HH will yield better results. Better do all this exercise!

Re the dvd's I find Jillian Michaels 30 Days shred excellent, and it's only 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Thanks for the DVD recommendation dotcomdolly.
    I think my HH programme has gone out the window a little bit, I just feel that some evenings I have more time to run, so I just take advantage of the fact. I will focus on doing one faster paced run a week, one long run and then 2 gentle 3mile runs. I will add to the long run every week or so.

Day 4 Thursday, did some stretch and strength. Didn't do much to be honest so I felt it was very half hearted.

Day 5 Friday, was all set to do my 3mile run near where I live. Because the weather was so beautiful and I had time on my side, I took a left instead of a right and did a 5 mile loop instead (map my run). It took 41 minutes. Delighted with myself.

Great time for 5 miles, well done!

Okay, just back from a 3.6mile run (map my run) 29 minutes (roughly). I check the kitchen clock or my mobile on departure and return. I really do need to get a digital watch :o
    I chose a loop near my house, uphill for about 1.5miles on the return leg so with the humidity out there it was pretty tough.
    Am aiming to do a 10k in the morning, but the thought of it is not appealing. I'm being treated to lunch in town tomorrow so it will make it alot easier for me to tuck into a big feed with a cream laden dessert if I've run beforehand. :D

Well I didn't do the 10k in the morning, I took advantage of a rare lie-in! I waited til the sun was setting to go out running. While DS and DH were in the playground in Marlay park, I ran for 25 minutes.
    I've no idea of the distance as I couldn't map it properly. It was a lovely time to run as most of the crowds had gone home. I love Marlay but that incline from the new playground up to the back car park, I hate it! I force myself to do it TWICE everytime - it's a mental block from when I used to try to run before, I would give up half way up every time.
    Not any more........:cool:

• Advertisement

Very good on kicking that hills ass - twice! I ran in Marlay yesterday too, through the woods, a friend showed me a 4 mile route. I know the outer perimeter is 2 miles, so you can mix and match those two routes to get a good long run when they come up.

Oh, thanks for telling me that. I always wondered what the perimeter was. Would the 4 mile route be tricky for you to explain - I'm very familiar with Marlay.
    If it is, don't worry about it, I can go around the perimeter twice.

How did you find running with somebody else. I couldn't imagine it. I don't listen to music or anything anymore, it was awkward with the headphones always falling out.... I find i start counting when I'm running.
    When I started running first I was totally focused on not quitting - it was all about concentrating on the run and trying to just keep going til I got home or back to the car, NOW I can actually look around at the trees & the flowers and at the people passing and give the odd 'hello' to anyone I know. That IS progress!

No it's not complicated. Starting at the house end go in to the woods to the right (just past the signpost for college rd) keep taking the right hand path, you'll end up at the new playground, and going down the hill. Back to the same point but 2nd loop take to the left, you'll come back past the toddlers playground. (sure sign of a mammy when all my landmarks are playgrounds!) So it's kind of a love heart shape loop you're doing.

It was my very first time running with someone, I think it helped keep my pace up (as I'm too competitive to drop back :o) but I think I prefer listening to my music than chatting...but the advantage is feeling safer in pairs...sure if you ever want to meet up for a non-chatty run? :D

em, scratch that when I said I was familiar with Marlay, I can't figure out the loop atall! :D I think I'm running backwards!
    I know what you mean about safety, I wouldn't be overly keen on running through the forest on my own
    Would love to have an 'anti-social' run with you sometime! I am doing the Dunshauglin 10k on Saturday evening, so I doubt I'll be there at the weekend, I may get an chance to go over during the week after work.
    Let me know if you have any set plans to be there. I live in Knocklyon

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

jcsmum wrote: »
    Let me know if you have any set plans to be there. I live in Knocklyon
    You're very close to me, I'm just over in Firhouse!

• Advertisement

You're very close to me, I'm just over in Firhouse!

and I'm in Walkinstown. But grew up in Knocklyon (Glenvara) and went to school in Firhouse!

Maybe Tymon Park someday?

Sounds good! :)

I live in Glenvara :D
    Small world. I've never been to Tymon park and I've been to Bushy park once. I always go to Marlay.

Ran 3.9 miles 31 minutes
    I am definitely in need of a rest day, 15 miles in 4 consecutive days.

Ran 3.9 miles 31 minutes
    I am definitely in need of a rest day, 15 miles in 4 consecutive days.

Good woman, I thought I was hard with my 3 consecutive days last week!
    I pm'd you re Glenvara :)

Week 2, day 2
    rest day. Was so tempted to go out and run, (I'm kinda addicted), but I restrained myself.

Week 2, day 3
    Did a 5km loop around Firhouse. It was the toughest run I've had in a long time, the heat, the breeze in my face for the first mile, my legs were like lead. I felt I was hardly running for most of the run. I was SO so tempted to give up, but pride wouldn't let me. Writing this training log wouldn't let me!
    Did the 5k in 25 minutes which for me is a PB, I was so delighted.
    Bored my husband to tears about my 'achievement'. I find I'm waffling on about running all the time to him. He then starts telling me about his 15ft putt on the 8th...... :rolleyes::D

Oh well done you! Your legs were definitely not lead! a 25min 5k is one of my big goals, haven't got there yet but am determined to do it at Rathfarnham in the Autumn.
    Am going to do the 4mile in Marlay again this Sunday morning if you fancy joining me.

Ah thanks for the offer, but I'm doing the Dunshaughlin 10k on Saturday evening (7.30pm). Not sure if the legs would be up for a 4mile run the following morning.
    But you never know, I'll pm you my mobile and if I feel refreshed and invigorated enough I may just join you. :)

Week 2, day 4
    Didn't do much today, walked my son to school which is a 20minute walk (stopping of course to check out insects, snails, sticks etc. etc...) & a 15 min brisk walk home. I did do an hour of housework including hovering so that has to count for something.

Week 2, day 5
    5k run, 26 minutes
    Was getting very nervous about the Dunshaughlin 10k, really suffered during my 2 5k runs this week, felt exhausted before, during and after.

Week 2, day 6
    Dunshaughlin 10k
    Beautiful evening for a run, despite the heat. Was really impressed by the set up in Dunshaughlin, it was a very well organised and friendly run. I was so so tired at mile 3 - when they took our times at the 5k mark I was 25 19, so was movitated by this. Didn't think though that I could keep up that pace though as I knew there was a hill ahead. For some reason I seemed to charge up the hill like a crazy woman (I liked the names of the local athletes written out on the road there - nice touch). After the hill I became very deflated and had to give a serious talking to my feet not to give up. I actually felt they were going to stop and I would have been so angry with myself. I was actually questioning my whole ability to run and my insanity at signing up for the half marathon. In the back of my mind I keep saying I will sign up for the full marathon. I was full of negativity for the entire race.
    I kept going on and before I knew it, I was at 9k. Then the 800m marker, it was hard to keep going then as the finish line was around a bend, it helps if I can see it in the distance. Then I hear my hubby & son cheering me on and I sprint for the line. I knew I had beaten my previous PB, so was delighted when I saw this morning I had run it in 52.03.
    Now this morning, as I'm savouring my new PB the marathon doesn't seem like such a crazy idea. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

hey, great to see you've started up a log and you're doing some cracking runs there. Well done on the 10 km PB, 52 mins is great running and go on, go on...you know you want to sign up for the full marathon :D

• Advertisement

Well done a great 10k, really excellent time!

Oh thank you both for the encouragement. Sometimes when I'm running and I'm so tired, I just question myself and ask 'what the hell am I doing'. But the elation of doing a good time or crossing the finish line makes it so worth while.
    And I do feel better and my clothes are a bit looser so it's all good!

Week 2, day 7
    Rest day after Dunshaughlin 10k

Week 3, day 1
    Went for a 5k run last night. Seemed to be running a lot faster than last week, or so it felt that way. Really felt confident that I might even do a sub 25m. The last stretch of road was uphill and into the breeze. I just couldn't do it. I had to stop for a little breather. I was beat! :(
    I still managed it in just over 25m but am a bit disappointed that I just couldn't keep going.
    A 5k in less than 25minutes is my new goal.

Week 3, day 2
    3.5m - 28' 30sec
    Felt pretty good on last nights run, eventhough it seemed to be more uphill than down. I think the fact that there was no sun was a big help.

Week 3, day 3
    5k, 26 minutes.

Week 3, day 4
    rest day

Week 3, day 5
    Was going to do my 2m run today but got out of work early so managed a slightly longer run a 5k, so happy enough with that 26mins

Week 3, day 6
    Just in from a 3.5m around Ballboden/Knocklyon. 30mins

Seriously it is getting tougher and tougher to find a route around here without roadworks, dug up footpaths, having to cross and re-cross the road. Give me back my footpath!

Also I usually plan out a set route on mapmyrun to do of an evening and I usually stick to that route. So running around I'm aware of how long more I have to go and how far from home I am.
    So today's run was unplanned - I just got DH to stop the car on our way home from an early Saturday morning errand and I just did a loop home. But I found that I took a longer way than I had planned and I seemed to enjoy that a lot more. Just running along.
    In life, I've been accused of being a bit of a control freak :rolleyes: so maybe I'm like that about my running too. Maybe I need to loosen up a bit! :)

Seriously it is getting tougher and tougher to find a route around here without roadworks, dug up footpaths, having to cross and re-cross the road. Give me back my footpath!
    Totally agree. So sick of there being new roadworks practically every time I go out, and then when they're done it's actually worse to run through the same areas. Particularly that section on the Firhouse Road where they replaced perfectly good bike track with concrete that's painful to run on.

Week 3, day 7
    Unofficial rest day :o.

Week 4, day 1
    Did the 5miles that I should have done yesterday. 40m 22sec (using map my run and a new casio watch I bought at the weekend) Delighted with my time. I plotted out 2.5miles from my house and just ran there and back, so no unnecessary crossing of roads or navigating roadworks.

Totally agree. So sick of there being new roadworks practically every time I go out, and then when they're done it's actually worse to run through the same areas. Particularly that section on the Firhouse Road where they replaced perfectly good bike track with concrete that's painful to run on.

You mean the cobbly footpath part that is sloped down to the road. What were they thinking????

• Advertisement

Week 3, day 7
    Unofficial rest day :o.

Week 4, day 1
    Did the 5miles that I should have done yesterday. 40m 22sec (using map my run and a new casio watch I bought at the weekend) Delighted with my time. I plotted out 2.5miles from my house and just ran there and back, so no unnecessary crossing of roads or navigating roadworks.

Well done on great time <jealous>

Advertisement