Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training log for DCM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

jcsmum wrote: »
    Despite sleeping really well this week, I'm absolutely exhausted. And I'm eating a lot more than normal, and not all of it is good food. And to top it all, I had a dream last night that I was leading the marathon and not at a very quick pace. I was dying for some other runner to take over & lead.... thing is, there were only about 50 of us doing it. :confused::eek::D
    I think that is the definition of taper madness right there
    marrona wrote: »
    I dreamt last night that my laces became undone and I couldn't remember how to tie them back up. what a boring dream! mens sana in corpore sano? I used to be normal and now I'm insane. At least we haven't had the dream where we run the marathon naked. too cold for that malarkey!

Geesh! The taper madness is definitely upon us! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Ran 4 miles yesterday. It was not great to be honest, the first 3 I felt my calves, especially my right one, were really tight. 'is it my laces, is it my runners, am I ready, did I stretch enough, did I stretch too much'. :confused:
    My brain is well and truly fried.

I printed off a 4:15 pace band yesterday and I hope to be able to stick to it, all going well.
    I cannot wait for 9:05 on Monday morning, it can't come soon enough...... I just want to start running. This build up is killing me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Ran 4 miles yesterday. It was not great to be honest, the first 3 I felt my calves, especially my right one, were really tight. 'is it my laces, is it my runners, am I ready, did I stretch enough, did I stretch too much'. :confused:

I printed off a 4:15 pace band yesterday and I hope to be able to stick to it, all going well.
    I cannot wait for 9:05 on Monday morning, it can't come soon enough...... I just want to start running. This build up is killing me.

I can't wait for 1pm and that shiny medal and pint of Guinness, and the superiority complex we'll feel over all those mere mortals who are having a lie in on Monday morning.

Yes 1pm or maybe 1:15 in my case... :D
    But I am actually looking forward to running it! I've never wished a bank holiday weekend would hurry the hell up before!

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

Good luck Monday, although you've put in every once of training, your so gonna love every minute. See you there!

• Advertisement

JEmily wrote: »
    Good luck Monday, although you've put in every once of training, your so gonna love every minute. See you there!

And good luck to you too! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

best of Luck on Monday!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

JEmily wrote: »
    And good luck to you too! :)

Luck won't come into it girls...You've done all the hard work, stick to a trusted pace, take regular water and keep your eyes on the road ahead of you as opposed to mrslow's granite butt :eek:

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Luck won't come into it girls...You've done all the hard work, stick to a trusted pace, take regular water and keep your eyes on the road ahead of you as opposed to mrslow's granite butt :eek:

I'll be using it to open beers later ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Best of luck jcsmum. I expect you to be well ahead of 4.15 ;)

• Advertisement

Good Luck on Monday. Don't forget to smile for the cameras! :D

Where to start........

We stayed in town on Sunday night, so only had a 5 min walk to the start line. It was perfect. My BIL was up bright & early with his camcorder (he popped up filming me at various points around the course - I thought this would annoy me but I needn't have worried, I was just concentrating on running, so I soon learned to ignore him!)

Was feeling good waiting for the start gun to go off, wasn't cold atall, just had my running vest on but I did have a pair of gloves and I am a cold creature. Must have been the excitement! I didn't have any aches or pains or niggles atall.

I stared out too fast, but I just couldn't seem to hold back, plus i was feeling so comfortable. I had the garmin and a 4:15 pace band but I seemed to be running between 9.10 and 9.30 for a lot of the time. There were so many times during the first half of the race that I gave out to myself for going faster than planned, but as each mile went by I was too busy enjoying myself plus I was feeling good physically and mentally.

I stuck with 'Santa' for the first 6 miles or so, he had the best supporters, so everytime someone cheered him on, it perked me up. I left him behind after the park.

A friend was at mile 18 and another at mile 21, so I had that to focus on and look forward to. Like I said my brother in law popped up around the course (he was on a bike and he would appear at various water stations and then take back routes to another point further on!) That kept me going too, no way was I going to be filmed walking or giving up!

I would say that I started feeling tired at mile 23, maybe along the Merrion road somewhere. When people were shouting 'only a few miles to go', it didn't help. I kept thinking of runs during training that were 2 and 3 miles and tried to say 'sure they were so easy, they're no distance'..... The mile markers for 24 and 25 couldn't come soon enough. I passed the walking backwards guy on Pearse Street - wow, he must have been doing a savage time!

Once I hit the mile 25 marker, I perked up. It was quite narrow at that stage and was tricky to overtake people. Once I saw the finish line, I bolted towards it.... my legs paid for that after, but I didn't care. My chip time was 4:11:24. I met Shaz at the finish line where she de-chipped me. I hobbled to the meeting area to meet OH and JC. I so wanted to sit down but I kept myself upright and managed a few stretches.

I'm sorry I didn't make it to McGrattans, but I just wanted to lie down or go to bed, plus I had family members meeting me afterwards.

I'm in work today with a big ole smile on my face. This will not be my last marathon - not by any means! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Fairplay, sounds like you had a good race and an enjoyable experience. I ran a few miles with that walking backwards guy, between 10 and 12. He ran the first half barefoot and the second half backwards!! He's the same guy that ran the whole course backwards last year. He told me he's planning on running the lenght of Ireland backwards next year :eek:

I've just read your log, fair play to you, the thought that kept me going was that I had no excuse - everything was all good, mentally and physically.
    I can't imagine running with a cold or under the weather!
    It was a great first experience for me for sure. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Fantastic time.....Well done you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Well done jcsmum. That's a brilliant time for a first time. Had to lol at the supporters saying only a few miles to go when you still had 3/4 very long miles ahead of you! I was cheering people on at Milltown yesterday. I really didn't know what to say to them because they still had 8 miles a head after already doing 18. Just tried to give as sympathetic smile as possible and a well done water station just ahead.

Congrats. Super achievement. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Well done, that's a brilliant time!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭nachoqueen

jacks mom that was brilliant, are you doing barcelona/connemara? you need to enter another one soon you know, you dont want to be like me, do 3 and then nothing for 6 years!

by the way to only feel wrecked at 22 miles means you have s uperb endurance base, excellent , excellent excellent!

nachoqueen wrote: »
    jacks mom that was brilliant, are you doing barcelona/connemara? you need to enter another one soon you know, you dont want to be like me, do 3 and then nothing for 6 years!

by the way to only feel wrecked at 22 miles means you have s uperb endurance base, excellent , excellent excellent!

Thanks so much B. I'm delighted beyond words. I know, OH and I were discussing upcoming marathons this morning. :rolleyes:
    I couldn't face into the training for Barcelona now to be honest, I'm looking foward to running just for the joy of it, but I might do Belfast. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done! Super super work, I'm delighted for you! (Don't read my log. I am officially a disgrace!). :D

• Advertisement

claralara wrote: »
    Well done! Super super work, I'm delighted for you! (Don't read my log. I am officially a disgrace!). :D

Too late, just read it!
    You're totally forgiven, I'm so happy, I'd forgive anybody anything at this moment! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Well done, that's a great run. Glad to see you're already thinking about a 2nd marathon, fair play!

DigiJem wrote: »
    Well done, that's a great run. Glad to see you're already thinking about a 2nd marathon, fair play!

And well done yourself!!!!!biggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Congrats jcsmum, great work! :D

Fantastic time JCSMum! Congratulations on a super run.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Congratulations, you must be so delighted with yourself after that! :D

Congratulations, you must be so delighted with yourself after that! :D

I am for sure! :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Hey, lovely to meet you at the finish line on Monday; you were in flying form and looked fresh as a daisy :). Congrats on a brilliant time and enjoy a few days of well deserved rest! Will be back to change your mind on Barca next week once you've recovered ;)

shazkea wrote: »
    Hey, lovely to meet you at the finish line on Monday; you were in flying form and looked fresh as a daisy :). Congrats on a brilliant time and enjoy a few days of well deserved rest! Will be back to change your mind on Barca next week once you've recovered ;)

It was lovely to meet you too! I didn't FEEL as fresh as a daisy, but thanks anyway!
    Also you do realise you are on everyone's video clip at the finish line! :cool:
    You will love the marathon experience I guarantee you. Barcelona is a little too close for me, I think I want to just run without a marathon looming ahead. Then again, who knows, once these old legs get out on the open road again........;)

• Advertisement

Well done!

Advertisement