Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training log for DCM

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

jcsmum wrote: »
    It was lovely to meet you too! I didn't FEEL as fresh as a daisy, but thanks anyway!
    Also you do realise you are on everyone's video clip at the finish line! :cool:
    You will love the marathon experience I guarantee you. Barcelona is a little too close for me, I think I want to just run without a marathon looming ahead. Then again, who knows, once these old legs get out on the open road again........;)

Nope I did not realise I was on everyone's video clip - if I had known that I would have swapped chutes!! I thought I was getting the easy one on the outside ;)

As for loving the marathon experience; emm not sure after reading some reports but sure I'll give it a shot anyway. So if I can't tempt you for Barca, how about Waterford half???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

shazkea wrote: »
    Nope I did not realise I was on everyone's video clip - if I had known that I would have swapped chutes!! I thought I was getting the easy one on the outside ;)

As for loving the marathon experience; emm not sure after reading some reports but sure I'll give it a shot anyway. So if I can't tempt you for Barca, how about Waterford half???

I could be pursuaded to do Waterford. I'm liking the longer distances more than the 5ks.
    I know the race reports can be gruesome - but for every one horror story, there are 5 happy bunnies!
    I'm just biased cos I was so lucky on the day and during training, things just fell into place & I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Had a lovely 3 mile run on Saturday morning. Fabulous sunny morning, so it was ideal to ease me back into things.
    Everything felt good. Happy to be back running. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Sounds like a good return to the roads there. Thanks for the words of wisdom last week - you're wasted as a marathon runner, you should be publishing self help books :)

So waterford then yeah?! ;)

claralara wrote: »
    Sounds like a good return to the roads there. Thanks for the words of wisdom last week - you're wasted as a marathon runner, you should be publishing self help books :)

So waterford then yeah?! ;)

Yeah, I probably will do Waterford alright :D

As for being a self-help 'guru', RK thought me everything I know! :D
    You're just going through a 'blip' at the moment, but you have super race times and you know you can do it, so it won't last long.

• Advertisement

Was determined to go out running last night, rain, hail or typhoon.... I decided not to bring a watch, but just to go out and RUN. I had planned on doing some kind of a loop, but due to a sudden footpath dead-end and the prospect of crossing the road in darkness & rain with heavy traffic, I decided to cut my losses and just head back. It was probably a half hour run, which was just enough. My legs felt very tight all over, but on the plus side my pace was pretty good and there were a few inclines. Happy days.

Have you signed up for Waterford yet then??

Hello, I'm going to be the devil on your shoulder. Nice to meet you. ;)

And connemara after that would look great on you!

Have you signed up for Waterford yet then??

Hello, I'm going to be the devil on your shoulder. Nice to meet you. ;)

And connemara after that would look great on you!

Jeez the pressure :rolleyes:
    Yes ma'am, I have signed up for the Waterford half, accommodation booked so I'm good to go.
    Also signed up to do a 5k in Killarney next weekend, Sat 13th. I happen to be down there and as it's only a fiver.... I couldn't pass it up!
    I will reassess my next marathon venture after Waterford. Deal? :D

So really got into the swing of things at the weekend. Headed out on Friday after work, did 5 miles. Didn't bring the garmin, so again no pressure, just enjoyed it.
    I took a rest day on Saturday and then back out again yesterday. Did 7.5miles. I have to say, it must have been one of the most enjoyable runs EVAH! The weather was perfect, not much traffic, not many people out, everything just seemed to click into place. I felt super comfortable and despite not having the garmin with me, I felt I was doing a strong pace. Nothing hurt or niggled and if anything, I feel a lot stronger. Less effort is being required. It was a good running day. :)

I have signed up to do a 5k in Killarney this weekend and would love to do sub 24. I know I have it in me..... somewhere.......

Gosh you're going to be running ultras in no time with that attitude! I've noticed some strangely high levels of optimism around these parts of late... I think I want to return to a fresh-air deprived couch potato where life sucked and everything irritated me!!

I'm sure you have a 24 5k in you. No bother! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

I'm sure you have a 24 5k in you. No bother! :)

Bet you'll run it in 22 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

mrslow wrote: »
    Bet you'll run it in 22 ;)

I'd have to agree with this. :)

Not sure where you guys are getting 22 from. I ran like the wind (or so it felt) at the Rathfarnham 5k and didn't manage a sub 24. But thanks for the vote of confidence! :)

Went for a fast 3 miler last night, in practice for Saturday. Unfortunately the garmin wouldn't pick up satellites and I got sick of waiting for it, so I didn't get an accurate time or distance. Oh well......... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Not sure where you guys are getting 22 from. I ran like the wind (or so it felt) at the Rathfarnham 5k and didn't manage a sub 24. But thanks for the vote of confidence! :)

Ah, but that was the day after an LSR, and the week after the half marathon. You were tired!

RayCun wrote: »
    Ah, but that was the day after an LSR, and the week after the half marathon. You were tired!

I had to go back checking through my log (thanks Ray!), yeah did a LSR the day before and was on a night out the night before.

COME ON 22..... :D

You were probably going too fast for the eye in the sky to pick you up! In fact I swear I saw some crazy sort of UFO flying around around there at a 21min 5k pace... Pressure much?! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Sure why don't we round it down altogether and say you'll do a Sub-20....no pressure mind you, just enjoy the race :)

Ah guys, gimme a break. The pressure!

Somebody brought in some chocolate chip brioche at work. Must shuffle off to get some while I take some deep breaths......

A runners life is never easy.

Ah guys, gimme a break. The pressure!

Somebody brought in some chocolate chip brioche at work. Must shuffle off to get some while I take some deep breaths......

A runners life is never easy.

Every bite adds 10 seconds :D

• Advertisement

mrslow wrote: »
    Every bite adds 10 seconds :D

Well I'll have to aim for 21 mins so! ;)

Well I'll have to aim for 21 mins so! ;)

Pig out and go for 23 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Went for a fast 3 miler last night, in practice for Saturday. Unfortunately the garmin wouldn't pick up satellites and I got sick of waiting for it, so I didn't get an accurate time or distance. Oh well......... :rolleyes:

I now put my Garmin out the back garden and switch it on 5 mins before I'm leaving the house....Works a dream! No more standing in the front garden worrying the neighbours whilst pointing my wrist at the sky...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I go for a walk around the block, to warm up the legs a bit while I'm waiting for the signal.

digger2d2 wrote: »
    I now put my Garmin out the back garden and switch it on 5 mins before I'm leaving the house....Works a dream! No more standing in the front garden worrying the neighbours whilst pointing my wrist at the sky...:eek:

I stand in the garden with three Adam's apples waiting for it to connect.:eek:

Thing is I can get a signal some days and then other days, it takes an age (and I'm standing in exactly the same spot!).
    I'll try the back garden strategy from now on, if only to save face from the curtain twitchers! :rolleyes::D

digger2d2 wrote: »

How's the running going? I was out around Firhouse/Old Bawn last night.

How's the running going? I was out around Firhouse/Old Bawn last night.

Pretty good thanks...I had three easy runs last week and this week pitched myself in at the middle of HH 10k Intermediate plan....So, will now be five runs per week including Tempo and x 400's as well as weights and core work....Should be interesting to see how the quicker work feels....Was running last night but went up around the hospital, did my normal 4.62 mile route this afternoon around your way and back up the Firhouse Rd...:)

Have been offline for a few days so time to catch up. I did a 5k training run on Wednesday afternoon in preparation for Saturday's 5k race. Managed a time of 25:04 and my God I ran like my life depended on it, so wasn't sure what improvements I could make for the race in order to do a sub 24!
    Friday got out for a short windswept run, probably less than 3 miles.

Anyway got to Kerry yesterday afternoon, went to Gift Grub in the INEC last night, so a bit of a late one. Looked out the window this morning, rain rain and more rain. Decided not to chicken out and lined up for the Feet First 5k in Killarney. Luckily the rain has subsided just before the race and managed to hold off for the duration.
    I really should take my own advice, I started out too fast and was puffing and panting for most of the race. It was not pleasant, in fact I didn't enjoy it at all. The thought of even stopping and giving up crossed my mind. I wasn't tired as such, but I just didn't seem to want to be there, it was a struggle. The terrain was different to what I'm used to, on leafy paths through the national park and there were a number of inclines throughout. I had a scowl on me coming across the finish line, despite the fact that I knew I had come in sub 24.
    I managed a time of 23:40, so not too shabby, but I didn't feel the love. I think I'm just not a fast runner, I don't like 5ks, so I think I may give them a wide berth for the time being. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled with my time but just didn't like the race.

• Advertisement

I guess when you're concentrating on the Marathon and then a few weeks later you have to revert to lungbusting 'quick' running it's a bit of a shock for the body and mind!!

Advertisement