Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training log for DCM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

What is the matter with me, I was questioning the new watch and I plotted out the course I ran on mapmyrun numerous times, just to verify that I had done the 5 miles in that time.
    I just couldn't be happy that I had actually done it. Yes it was tough and I was gasping for water afterwards, but I did it.
    What is that? Lack of self belief? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

jcsmum wrote: »
    What is the matter with me, I was questioning the new watch and I plotted out the course I ran on mapmyrun numerous times, just to verify that I had done the 5 miles in that time.
    I just couldn't be happy that I had actually done it. Yes it was tough and I was gasping for water afterwards, but I did it.
    What is that? Lack of self belief? :rolleyes:

I laughed when I read this.
    I don't know why you're surprised, you're putting in some excellent times lately...you'll def be leaving me eating your dust in the race series 5 miler :pac:. Seriously well done though

Bet now you're going to go for a sub 40 :)

Week 4, day 3
    Did 3.44 miles in 27.57. My God was it windy out there and it felt like I was running into the wind for the whole run, even though I did a loop :D

I've my OH driven demented talking about running and my times and shoving the watch in his face after each run (usually while he's watching Top Gear!). Lookatme Lookatme!!!! But I dont' care, for years I had to listen to his drive off the par 5 third hole or his eagle putt on the 18th.
    It's my turn now :P

shazkea wrote: »
    I laughed when I read this.
    I don't know why you're surprised, you're putting in some excellent times lately...you'll def be leaving me eating your dust in the race series 5 miler :pac:. Seriously well done though

Bet now you're going to go for a sub 40 :)

Thanks Shazkea, my times are definitely improving but I feel exhausted after each run. I can't seem to slow down my pace, I'm always trying to get the legs to go that bit slower so that when I reach home, I'm not a big gasping tomato head pointing at the water bottle in the kitchen and using sign language to say 'pour me a glass of water before I pass out right here on the floor'.
    I absolutely dread the thought of running more than 10k.

I can't seem to slow down my pace, I'm always trying to get the legs to go that bit slower so that when I reach home, I'm not a big gasping tomato head pointing at the water bottle in the kitchen and using sign language to say 'pour me a glass of water before I pass out right here on the floor'.
    I absolutely dread the thought of running more than 10k.

Yeah I know what you mean about slowing down; it just seems like it's a step backwards or something to intentionally run slow. Fully understand why but just haven't quite managed it yet.
    Have you not trained the OH to stand by the door with the glass in hand ready for your return :D

• Advertisement

Had time tonight, so switched the 2m run with the 3.5m.
    3.5m in 29:30.
    I thought I was running faster than last night, I seemed to enjoy it more. Slower time though.
    Slower is better :)

Week 4, day 4
    rest day

Week 4, day 4
    Unexpected rest day, well you can't expect me to go running in that rain can you? ;)
    I did sign up to do the DCM, so that surely must earn me some training plan brownie points. I think I burned 1 million calories with the shock alone!

Week 4, day 5
    Got out early this morning, thanks to my DS! Did 5miles 41:44, which I was happy with. I felt I was slightly slower than usual and I enjoyed the run. Very few other people out that early, so enjoyed the silence.
    Came home, was eating breakfast and then heard the rain bucketing down. Ah, how satisfied do I feel right now! :cool:

Week 4, day 7

Did 5 very pleasant miles around Tymon park with Dotcomdolly and Rainbow Kirby.
    It was great to meet up with fellow runners and just be able to chat about our training and our hopes for the upcoming races. None of my friends run, so they just wouldn't understand my newfound obsession and my recent insanity at signing up for the DCM. :D

Week 5 (my God, did I actually type that!), day 1

I decided to go back to Tymon Park to do a 6k run, which I did in 32:16 (despite my trauma :o:(, see thread in the general athletics forum)

Week 5, day 2
    Took an unofficial day off, sat on the couch eating crap with DS while watching Spongebob

Week 5, day 3
    Just back from a 5mile run - 40:45.
    I was really pushing myself and I got a stitch in my side on the final mile, stopped for about 20seconds. Am so sick of crossing and re-crossing the road every few minutes - the Ballycullen road is a mess. Very annoying for us athletes :cool:

• Advertisement

OMG just read your thread in main forum, that's awful. I hope it hasn't put you off running in any way. Cheeky little bugger. I will certainly be alot more wary about who's around me know after hearing this. If you're ever looking for a running partner, let me know.

No, it hasn't put me off running, but it has put me off running alone in Tymon Park. Silly I know, but there are plenty other places for me to run where I am more comfortable.
    Where in Dublin are you shazkea? I did a run with Dotcomdolly & Rainbow Kirby in Tymon on Sunday which was lovely, so if and when we decide to do it again, you're more than welcome to come along. The more the merrier.
    :)

No, it hasn't put me off running, but it has put me off running alone in Tymon Park. Silly I know, but there are plenty other places for me to run where I am more comfortable.
    Where in Dublin are you shazkea? I did a run with Dotcomdolly & Rainbow Kirby in Tymon on Sunday which was lovely, so if and when we decide to do it again, you're more than welcome to come along. The more the merrier.

My usual routes are around Malahide/Portmarnock and Phoenix Park. No probs hopping in the car though to head to a run so yeah let me know if you are heading out again and I'll come join you.
    Good luck tomorrow with the sub 40 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Oh we will! We have 4 weeks to get up to 10 miles, I need the moral support on the longer LSR's!

I told somebody recently (an athletic person who has done a number of marathons) that I had signed up to do the marathon and they looked at me like I was slightly crazy. When I told them my longest run was 10k, they started estimating distances and times to be 'ready' for October! It was not good.
    They are very knowledgeable and supportive but I suppose they want me to be the 'best' I can be on the day. At the standard I'm at, I'm sorta winging it a bit. I mean the half is doable in Sept (I'm typing that like I know what I'm talking about :cool: ), but to be doubling that distance for a marathon a month later, it does seem a tad nuts! :D
    They placed a lot of emphasis on the long runs.

Sure, nothing ventured, nothing gained!!

shazkea wrote: »
    My usual routes are around Malahide/Portmarnock and Phoenix Park. No probs hopping in the car though to head to a run so yeah let me know if you are heading out again and I'll come join you.
    Good luck tomorrow with the sub 40 :D

We could always alternate our training locations - mix it up a little! :)

I told somebody recently (an athletic person who has done a number of marathons) that I had signed up to do the marathon and they looked at me like I was slightly crazy. When I told them my longest run was 10k, they started estimating distances and times to be 'ready' for October! It was not good.
    They are very knowledgeable and supportive but I suppose they want me to be the 'best' I can be on the day. At the standard I'm at, I'm sorta winging it a bit. I mean the half is doable in Sept (I'm typing that like I know what I'm talking about :cool: ), but to be doubling that distance for a marathon a month later, it does seem a tad nuts! :D
    They placed a lot of emphasis on the long runs.

Sure, nothing ventured, nothing gained!!

How many weeks till the marathon?, could you jump in at the appropriate point here?

How many weeks till the marathon?, could you jump in at the appropriate point here?

+1 That's the plan I am following and on our thread we're on week 4 (I had a contingency week up my sleeve...just as well)!

Main thing I would say is do listen to everybody's advice but make up your own mind. Only you know if you are capable of doing it. The LSR's seem long but if done at a slow pace they are manageable. If you do decide to do the DCM you will need to slow the majority of your runs down Ms Speedy Gonzales :). Only 1 run per week should be done at a fast pace and all others should be slower than your planned marathon pace. Why not try the plan for a few weeks and see how you go, it's still good prep for the half.

Sure you squeezed out a baby, how hard could it be?? :D

Brilliant :D

• Advertisement

Cue the 'Wonder Woman' music here...... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

This comment is up there with goofygirl's one on the consistency of gels from last year's Dublin marathon training! Getting strange looks from the people around me for bursting out laughing :)

Edit: jcsmum, with some commitment to training you'll be able to get around the marathon course in October no bother. The long runs are important, and while I'm sure that person had your best interests at heart there's no problem with a bit of positivity too! Stick with RK, she's a great runner and a very good influence when it comes to training...

D, you're probably right, I should slowly start moving myself away from the half to the full marathon training programme. There are 12 training weeks really to the DCM, so I'll have to tweak the programme slightly for a few weeks.

xebec wrote: »
    This comment is up there with goofygirl's one on the consistency of gels from last year's Dublin marathon training! Getting strange looks from the people around me for bursting out laughing :)

Edit: jcsmum, with some commitment to training you'll be able to get around the marathon course in October no bother. The long runs are important, and while I'm sure that person had your best interests at heart there's no problem with a bit of positivity too! Stick with RK, she's a great runner and a very good influence when it comes to training...

Thanks for that!
    Am curious as to goofygirls comment. Pray tell! :)

Thanks for that!
    Am curious as to goofygirls comment. Pray tell! :)

Eh, let's just say that it wasn't PG13 suitable... Catch me after a race some day and I might tell...

I didn't realise you were following a half marathon plan atm, if you are even slightly considering doing Dublin then it would be a good idea to move across to a novice marathon plan - the mileage in a half plan finishing in September isn't likely to be enough to get you around a full comfortable 6 weeks later. On the other side, the higher mileage of a marathon plan will stand to you for the half and if it becomes too much it's easier to cut back than it is to add on at the end...

Xebec, I'm on week 5 of the half TP, LSR is 6 miles this week, so I might try to jump into week 3/4 of the full marthon - I intend now to build up my LSR.
    I realise the LRS are crucial so I will work on them, adding each week.
    I have Hal's training plan in front of me (wipes sweat off my brow :eek:)

Xebec, I'm on week 5 of the half TP, LSR is 6 miles this week, so I might try to jump into week 3/4 of the full marthon - I intend now to build up my LSR.

Ok, don't try to up it too quickly, keep it to 1-1.5 miles extra on the LSR each week and see how you get on. I think we all forget on here that marathons and the be-all and end-all of running! They're a fantastic achievement but they'll still be there next year.

And the half marathon is so much more fun too, still a big deal and requires a lot of work, but nowhere near as much pain involved ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I think you are well capable of going for the novice HH marathon plan, judging by your recent improvements. You are really flying in your 5 mile training runs recently! Just go a fair bit slower and you'll have no bother doing 8-9 mile runs as you stand!
    best of luck if you decide to go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

menoscemo wrote: »
    You are really flying in your 5 mile training runs recently! Just go a fair bit slower

Yep, that seems to be it alright. You're very fast, but you have to try running slow for a change :)

• Advertisement

So, did the 5mile (yes, 5mile ;)) yesterday. Thought it was well organised. Like I said in the other thread, I was hanging out in the front of the second wave but something made me hop out again and go into the back of the first wave. I suppose I was maybe judging a book by its cover, I was figuring out if people in the back of the first wave were serious runners or not by what they were wearing and if they were carrying water etc....

Anyway as I felt a sub 40 was there for the taking, I didn't feel too guilty being in the first wave. In hindsight, I should have pushed up further, I overtook so many people in the first mile, mile and a half. I was a tad frustrated if I'm honest.
    But after mile 2, I began to enjoy things a lot more. I felt that I was super comfortable for the first 4 miles. The last mile, I found tough.
    Silly me forgot to stop my watch after crossing the line, but I had myself convinced that I had done about 40:05.

Imagine my amazement and excitment when I saw the results online :eek::D 39:48

Then boards had to go and spoilt it all! But no matter it is a pb, I did 43:48 in the Sportsworld 5mile, so I'm absolutely thrilled with yesterday.

Was out last night and still in pyjamas now reading through other people's training logs from this morning. Trying to make me look bad - I mean you Dotdomdolly!!!! :)

Advertisement