Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training log for DCM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

I'm just back from Marlay park, did 3 laps of the outer path, so 6miles in all. 57:13
    And I did take all the advice on board here, I went slower, but I'm still going too fast I think.
    The first lap (2 miles), I did in 18:30. So I figured the second lap would be naturally slower, it wasn't - I did that in practically the same time, it was 37:00 for both laps. The last lap WAS slower, but not by that much - 20:13 for the last 2 miles.

I really have to slow down more or else there is NO way I am going to be able to do longer distances.

Having said that, I found the 6 blustery, rain & wind swept miles very do-able and I was pretty comfortable for the 57 minutes!

As I'm now trying to gradually move from the half marathon training plan to the full marathon, I have decided to get serious! Not only am I getting great advice and support on boards, but also am getting a lot of support from friends and work colleagues. I got a monster of a book today on loan called 'the lore of running' from somebody at work.

Anyway as I got out of work early and DS is on hols with the grandparents, I headed to Marlay. I had planned on doing a 4 miler (2 laps), but ended up doing 5 miles. :cool:

Now I made a conscious decision to go SLOW and to go slower than yesterday and I was sure I was. I did the first lap in 18:30, exactly the same as yesterday. Oops I did it again!
    The second lap was a tad slower, I did the 4 miles in 37:40
    I did the 5 miles in 46:37

I need to slow down more, especially for my future LSR. :eek: I'll have to tie weights to my laces or something.

Having said that, I found the run very enjoyable and very comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

They are expensive, but the Garmins are great for this. It usually takes me a couple of minutes to get into my LSR pace, and then I'd check it every now and again to make sure I'm on target. Very handy for races too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Even when you were running with me & RK you were going faster than us, I'll have to dig out the toddler reins next time! :pac:

RayCun wrote: »
    They are expensive, but the Garmins are great for this. It usually takes me a couple of minutes to get into my LSR pace, and then I'd check it every now and again to make sure I'm on target. Very handy for races too.

My birthday is coming up next month, I think I may just have to treat myself. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Hey! Well done on the race at the weekend, great time! I'm thinking if I'm still at it by christmas then Santa might bring a Garmin. :rolleyes:

What is the 2 mile lap of Marlay that you do? I think the lap I do is under 1.5 miles... I'm a big lazy cheater!

Also I'm all about the capital S for my slow runs and I have to actively tame my friend who I run with or else she'd pass out after an hour. You'll find your slow pace pretty quickly and settle into it I'm sure - especially if DCD gets the lead out!

Keep up the good work!

The 2 mile lap of Marlay is the path inside the perimeter.
    Lets say you start at the front entrance car park, going left, you run past the dogpark, the small kids' playground, past the pitch and putt (or golf) club entrance, down the hill around by the stables (?) and back up to the house.
    If you go into mapmyrun and put marlay park in the search engine, you'll find lots of measured runs there.
    Great for us non-garmin wearing folk :)

I find listening to podcasts rather than music really helps me slow down. So far it's been Radio 4 Womens Hour, very interesting & you learn something while you run - double the self improvement!
    I'd love a Garmin too....though I do love my nike+ gear too....

Did another 4 miles yesterday, 36:42. I really did slow down, honest, but I did the second 2 miles quicker than the first two. :confused:
    When I run at this pace, the more I feel I could go on, which is obviously a positive as I will need to be adding a mile or mile and a half each week. I would have done another 2 miles, but I had a night out planned.

What I am noticing is that I am enjoying my running alot more lately. I'm not following the training programme like it's a chore.
    I did run for 43:05 minutes total yesterday, not sure of exact distance.

Oh, and I ordered a garmin forerunner 110 online yesterday. Early birthday present. 'because I'm worth it'........ :D

Taking advantage of my quiet house, I went out for a quick run after work. 5k 25:23.
    Very happy with that.
    Looking forward to a rest day tomorrow. :)

• Advertisement

Well done, great running this week.

Thanks, am tired now, have run 5 days in a row. I may even take TWO days off! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

jcsmum wrote: »
    Thanks, am tired now, have run 5 days in a row. I may even take TWO days off! :D

Haha, good one!!

If you need it there's no problem taking two days off ;) But don't tell anyone I said that!!

Well I didn't take the 2 days off, I had a garmin to christen. I ordered it from sub4.ie and within 2 days I had it!

So armed and 'dangerous' I set out to do a run, no particular time or route planned. I tried to keep a steady, slowish place as I do need to get my long runs up in miles, so I wanted to be able to keep going. And keep going I did, I did 7.71 miles in 1:13:42 with a pace of 9:27
    And thing is, I could have kept going, I was really comfortable at that pace. I know other days I'm beat after 4 miles, so today was definitely a good training day.

As for the garmin, I got a forerunner 110 - and I love it already. It was easy to use and for me, it's just perfect. I don't want to many buttons or options. Just time, distance and pace will do nicely!

Jaysis, 6 days in a row?? That's some run you did, your Garmin is well & truly christened. Will be good to have it on our "Tymon Terrier" runs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Good stuff outta you :D

Jaysis, 6 days in a row?? That's some run you did, your Garmin is well & truly christened. Will be good to have it on our "Tymon Terrier" runs :)

No, I took Thursday off, six days in a row, my poor little legs wouldn't be able to take that, plus I would keep imagining Hal tut tutting and wagging his finger at me (as I ran past! :D )

Good stuff outta you :D

Hopefully I haven't burned myself out for Sunday! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

Go you! I want me one of those garminmajiggys, I dont know why, I have imapmyrun on my phone, Im a sucker for expesive gadgets.

Everytime I look at the title of your log my brain misreads it as 'training for a long half marathon'. Im possibly not as optimistic as I think I am!

So our Tymon Terriers pack is growing!! Had a lovely run with the girls in Tymon, we did 7:12 miles (no, we didn't get lost in the park, we were super organised, we MEANT to do that distance :o ) in 1hr 16mins at a pace of 10:47 (sorry girls, I misled you about the pace at the end, still getting used to the garmin!)

• Advertisement

A great run this morning! There's no way I would have pushed myself to 7 if I'd been on my own.

Have you set up Auto Lap on your Garmin? It's very handy
    1. Press mode to enter the main menu
    2. Select Training - Training Options - Auto Lap
    3. Select By Distance, and the default will be 1 mile

It means that when you upload your run to the Training Centre, it will automatically be divided into mile-long sections with the pace for each mile. And when you're running, you'll get a beep after every mile, and a little window showing you your pace in the mile just gone.

It means that when you upload your run to the Training Centre, it will automatically be divided into mile-long sections with the pace for each mile. And when you're running, you'll get a beep after every mile, and a little window showing you your pace in the mile just gone.

Thanks for that Ray.

So it's officially day 1 of my 'stacation' and I am getting serious about running this week :D

Did 6.7m in 1:02, pace of 9:25
    Very humid out there but it didn't really bother me as it has done in the past. I was comfortable at that pace, but to be honest, I thought I had run more than 7 miles, hate that.
    Must plan a longer route for tomorrow me thinks. :)
    I know I shouldn't overdo it, but now that I have the time, I just can't help myself. I'm usually sitting behind a desk at this time of the day instead of being free and windswept :D running the roads of Terenure and Rathgar.....

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

I want one of these watches now, sounds brilliant. Which model do you all use? And how much roughly are they? I need a little motivational pressie to myself and this might do it;)

I got the forerunner 110, I didn't want anything too technical, this gives you distance, time and pace. It was about €200 and I got it on the sub4.ie website, delivered 2 days after ordering. Very easy to use.
    I look on it as an investment, something you will use day after day (after day after day :D)

I've a 305, cost about 150 quid from Amazon. Looks ginormous, but it's great

Okay, so I'm kinda not following the HH plans - I was following the half marathon one religiously and then I signed up to do the DCM, so had to jump over to the HH novice marathon plan which I half did. So now I'm between the two plans and not really doing either.

I got a bit carried away today and because the weather & the temprement were good and I have no work or family constraints at the mo, I decided to do a 10miler.
    Delighted to say that I did it and felt great :). My pace was 9:45 and it took me 1:37:32 (and even more positive news, I could have kept going!) Oh please let me feel like this at the adidas 10miler..... pretty please.

Also at mile 4 my garmin beeped, low batt... I was sure I was going to have to start guessing time and distance, but well done Mr. garmin maker, it kept going til the end of the run. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Told ya you'd be fine for a 10-miler this week, nice one there :)

(that's you almost back on track for Higdon Novice 1, 10 miles was last week's long run and this week is a stepback - 12 next week)

• Advertisement

Told ya you'd be fine for a 10-miler this week, nice one there :)

(that's you almost back on track for Higdon Novice 1, 10 miles was last week's long run and this week is a stepback - 12 next week)

Oh great, I'd feel better following a plan! Chuffed now :cool:

Advertisement