Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training log for DCM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Oh well done you! That's brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

jcsmum wrote: »
    I got a bit carried away today and because the weather & the temprement were good and I have no work or family constraints at the mo, I decided to do a 10miler.
    Delighted to say that I did it and felt great :). My pace was 9:45 and it took me 1:37:32 (and even more positive news, I could have kept going!) Oh please let me feel like this at the adidas 10miler..... pretty please.

Well done that's great running. It feels good to be in the double digits comfortably and looks like you're having fun with the Garmin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Back from a 5 mile run, 44:25 at a pace of 8:52.
    Because I was running less miles I decided to up the pace a bit. A bit blustery out there plus it doesn't help when you're running along beside the garbage collection truck - at least it kept me awake!! :D

shazkea wrote: »
    Well done that's great running. It feels good to be in the double digits comfortably and looks like you're having fun with the Garmin :D

To be honest, the garmin is very easy to use, which suits me just fine! :D
    It is pricey for sure, but I hope to use it a LOT!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Just read through your whole thread. Very interesting reading your progress. Im a beginner to all of this. Your times are amazing and you do them so comfortably!

• Advertisement

dolliemix wrote: »
    Just read through your whole thread. Very interesting reading your progress. Im a beginner to all of this. Your times are amazing and you do them so comfortably!

I wouldn't say comfortably! :) At the beginning I puffed and panted along, but now I seem to be able to run longer and with less effort. Still a long way to go to do 26miles, but I'll get there! :cool::eek:

Went over to the Phoenix park this morning to do a run, am sick of crossing roads! Was tempted to do the 10 mile route but honestly I got all confused when I arrived there and forgot which way the race went, so I just made up a route.

I did 8 miles in 1:13:07, pace of 9:08
    Delighted with the pace, because I was exhausted after the 8 miles (was toying with the idea of doing 10 miles and I really couldn't face another 2), so the quicker pace made up for that.

Another thing I've noticed is that my calf muscles are getting really strong, the hills today didn't trouble me atall.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

you might have been able for an extra two miles if you'd gone out slower! :)

I think the 10 mile route is basically "start on the main road, go down to the city side entrance and turn left, run around that side until you get to the main road at the opposite end. Then run down the main road again, but this time turn right at the end,and run around that side instead"

RayCun wrote: »
    you might have been able for an extra two miles if you'd gone out slower! :)

+1...going to have to come up with some incentive for you to slow down on your training runs :p. Maybe on the next LSR distance we both have in common, that for every minute quicker than me you finished it, you'll have to buy me a drink after the half!! That should do the trick as you'll be broke after that :D

shazkea wrote: »
    +1...going to have to come up with some incentive for you to slow down on your training runs :p. Maybe on the next LSR distance we both have in common, that for every minute quicker than me you finished it, you'll have to buy me a drink after the half!! That should do the trick as you'll be broke after that :D

Race you to the pub!!

I was okay running at that pace to be honest, but I could have managed the extra few miles if I had gone slower. Then again, I already did a 10 miler already this week, so it was okay.
    I was happy with the 8.

• Advertisement

Ah now you're just making me jealous with both your 8 and 10 miles this week :D

Seriously good running though, well done on a good week and it's not over yet!!

So, met up with RK this morning and ran together to Tymon, did a few loops there and back to home.
    I stretched out the run home to make it to 10 miles

The 10 miles took 1:37:06, average pace of 9:42. We both took it nice and easy and were doing great (chatting away comfortably) when RK got a bad cramp at 7 miles. But tough woman she is, she kept going! :cool:

I found the run very relaxed, a lovely start to a Sunday! BUT my t-shirt chaffed me very badly and I had one painful shower! Not good!

Well done!, nice time, only about 3 shades of green here :o

So this morning, was all set to get some more serious miles in, but after a mile or so, my chaffed skin from yesterday started hurting. I had lathered myself in vaseline and had a no-seam vest on, but I forgot to factor in the breeze! :(
    Boy did it hurt, so rather than prolong my agony, I shortened my loop and decided to run a bit faster instead.
    Did 5 miles, 44:42 in a pace of 8:56.

Ouch, sounds sore, I wonder would Caldasene powder help?
    What top were you wearing that chaffed? Is it in the bin now? :pac:

That sounds really sore jc! I thought it only happened to men. Has it happened to you before. Not surprised you shortened your loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

dolliemix wrote: »
    I thought it only happened to men.
    Unfortunately gender doesn't exempt us! For my first half I wore a sports bra that was slightly too big, it started chafing at mile 8 and the shower after the race was the most painful thing in the history of everything :eek::mad:

Unfortunately gender doesn't exempt us! For my first half I wore a sports bra that was slightly too big, it started chafing at mile 8 and the shower after the race was the most painful thing in the history of everything :eek::mad:

OMG! :eek: I'm glad I'm learning all of this!

Chaffing a thing of history, thank God, I will not be wearing that top again, it was a Nike Dri-fit (I think it's called). No discomfort today.

Yesterday was a rest day, well a travelling day to Kerry and some time to recover from my early morning flight down here. I kept looking out the window itching to go running though. The weather was so perfect.

Today I drove into Killarney and started my run from a breezy Ross Castle, ran into the National park and around a few times. I did 7 miles in 1:07, can't remember my pace and I don't have the garmin to hand. It was just over 9 mins per mile I think. I started slower but speeded things up as I had family stuff to do. So beautiful down here, hardly got time to look around at the lakes and mountains....

Okay, went a bit crazy down here, must be the air! I decided to do my LSR yesterday, I had time and no family contraints, plus the Killarney national park was beckoning and the weather was good. Decided firstly to do 12 miles, am focused on keeping my mileage up and then for the hell of it decided 'well, sure you might aswell do the 13 & see if you can do a half'!

So off I set, I always find the first mile or 2 a bit heavy, maybe my body is just trying to get into the swing of things, but by mile 3 I was pretty comfortable, and was for much of the run, was able to admire the scenery and the deer walking across my path. :)
    Started to feel tired from mile 10 but strangely my pace seemed to pick up and the last mile I seemed to be striding along.

I will admit that I was bloody freezing after it. I hung around the lakes with the family for about 20 mins after and my God, I was shivering for an hour or two after the run. Maybe my body was in shock!

But I did it and am feeling fine today, rest day of course!
    13 miles in 2:10:30, average pace of 10:02 :D

• Advertisement

Well done! ANd you flew it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Nice run! So what's the target for the half next month now? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Brilliant run jcsmum! You'll obliterate that time in the race!
    I got a few tips back in the winter for warming up after running as I used to stay cold for hours.
    First change your top straight away. I'll always keep something ..t shirt, hoody whatever in the car and swap tops rather than put it on over the sweaty one. If you're still cold when you get home and after shower a hot water bottle held to your tummy warms your core and blood circulating (or something like that). In winter when I was running somewhere where I'd have a drive home after I'd keep a flask/cup thing of tea or coffee to sip on on the way home and a banana to nibble on.

littlebug wrote: »
    Brilliant run jcsmum! You'll obliterate that time in the race!
    I got a few tips back in the winter for warming up after running as I used to stay cold for hours.
    First change your top straight away. I'll always keep something ..t shirt, hoody whatever in the car and swap tops rather than put it on over the sweaty one. If you're still cold when you get home and after shower a hot water bottle held to your tummy warms your core and blood circulating (or something like that). In winter when I was running somewhere where I'd have a drive home after I'd keep a flask/cup thing of tea or coffee to sip on on the way home and a banana to nibble on.

Thanks for the advice, I put on a hoody over my sweaty top, I thought I would be okay. And yeah even after the shower I was still cold! Great idea about the hot water bottle.

7 mile run today, 1:03, average pace of 9 minute mile. Picked up the pace today & was surprisingly able to.
    My legs are sooooo tired now... tough but satisfying week!

Another 7 mile run this morning, have totally fallen off the HH training plan, am doing a plan of my own. If I have time I run more.... that's the motto.

7 miles, 1:08:11, average pace 9:45

Doing great <thumbs up!>

Go girl - you're doing really well so keep up the brilliant work :)

Am so taking advantage of my free time at the moment, decided to do a LSR today. I had planned on 14 miles (1 mile more than last weeks run), but I ended up nearly a mile away from the car so I did 15 miles total.
    Took me 2:28:41, pace of 9:55

To be honest I was bored out of my tree for most of it. How will I do a 20 miler I just don't know. Was going to do 7 laps of Marlay which would have made 14 miles, but decided to leave the confines of the park and do a big loop - that took up 10 miles and then I did a few laps of the park. I must be becoming a serious runner if I am knowingly adding hills and bumps to my run!!

I suffered a bit more chaffing, a cut toe and my shin niggled at me at mile 10. It seems fine again. I stretched like crazy afterwards.
    Am really pooped now, but very satisfied.......:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

well done, good run. ipod shuffle and some podcasts for those long runs

Advertisement