Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training log for DCM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

menoscemo wrote: »
    Nice to meet you today. If we had realised you were doing extra miles, you might have been roped into the 20 with Chinguetti and me.

Feet up and enjoy a few drinks tonight!!

BTW you looked very comfortable today!

To be honest I was pretty comfortable, the company definitely helped. I've never felt that comfortable throughout for a LSR before. (actually my LSR of 10 miles with RK was very comfortable too)
    I was like a zombie when I got home, I was stuck to the couch for ages. Am grand now. Tired but no aches and pains!

I aim to add a mile or two to the 18 miler next weekend. (if possible). Would 17 to 20 miles be too much of a jump?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

jcsmum wrote: »
    To be honest I was pretty comfortable, the company definitely helped. I've never felt that comfortable throughout for a LSR before. (actually my LSR of 10 miles with RK was very comfortable too)
    I was like a zombie when I got home, I was stuck to the couch for ages. Am grand now. Tired but no aches and pains!

I aim to add a mile or two to the 18 miler next weekend. (if possible). Would 17 to 20 miles be too much of a jump?

I am not sure, At the pace we went today, I'd say there woud be no problem physically in you doing it, but maybe bring something to eat (powerbars, mini mars or whatever you like). I got really hungry today after about 17 miles, and it tends to happen to me the longer the run. I'd say if you can get something solid in your stomach after 10-12 miles it will dfinately help when it starts to hurt near the end.

I will definately experiment with eating in the next few LSR's myself (I am pretty new to running these longer distances too).

As the schools are all open again, I have decided to alter my running schedule slightly. I'm finding the evening runs a bit awkward to manage, what with getting home from work, making dinner, waiting til OH comes home from work, will I eat dinner now or wait til after run.... ouch my head....
    So I have decided to try and go early morning. Set the alarm for 6.30 :eek: and was out pounding the road a few mins later. It was glorious, a bit chilly but that didn't bother me for long & a blinding sun on the way home, practically had the road to myself, only a few dog walkers and 2 other crazy runners out at that hour.
    I'm now in work and feel so energised and awake! The only downside is that OH leaves for work at 7.10, so I have to be back home for then, only managed 3 miles this morning 25:33:47, pace of 8.30
    Might have to leave the long midweek run for an afternoon. Or else get up at 5.30!!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

I love a good morning run - it really sets me up for the day. And I never want to pick at any of the crap that shows up in the kitchen because someone is back from holidays or it's somebody else's birthday! Well done on the long run at the weekend. It seems like you all had a great time. I'm jealous that I only had Westlife in my ears for company!!

4 miles this morning, 33:37:13, pace of 8:24

What is it with this early morning running, I love it (apart from the fact that the few people at bus stops or driving to work are looking at me in shock or admiration (yes, it must be admiration! ;)) It is one fantastic way to start the day.
    Plus I find that I am enjoying having my evenings with J and I'm not rushing to eat dinner or figure out the logistics of going for a run after work. And I slept like a baby last night. :)

• Advertisement

On Tuesday evening I went for an hour long walk with a friend of mine, yawn! (I don't mean the company, but I mean walking!!). I was watching all the runners out at that time and really wanted to join them, even though I had run that morning.
    I took yesterday as a rest day as I was really exhaused (it's tiring getting up early to run :))

This morning, alarm set for 6am :eek: and I was out the door minutes later, the road to myself. Did 7 miles in 1:02:24, pace of 8:55
    Some miles were fine, others were tiring, no rhyme or reason to it. I think I might have gone too fast aswell, but I'm noticing that I am keeping a very steady pace throughout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Great running and brilliant to hear you're comfortable at that pace too. I'm noticing all runners too and wishing I was them - after I've thrown them a jealous dirty look :D

Very disappointed to miss the LSR with other boardsies this morning. :(
    Did 7 miles this evening, 1:02, pace of 8:58 (too fast I know)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

I did my first 6.30am run on Tuesday too and loved it. Not sure I'd make it a habit but like you I did it because I wouldn't have had any other opportunity to do it, and surprised myself at how comfortable I was. Loved the early morning sun and the cool temperature and just generally watching the world wake up. My legs got very tired at around four o clock in the afternoon though.

Great stuff getting that 7 miles done at 6am!!! :)

Went out for a run this morning around 6.30. Couldn't find my garmin and rather than wake the house, I just grabbed my digital watch instead. Rang around a loop which I thought was around 4 miles. As my running is pretty consistant, I figured I'd be back at base around 36 mins later (9 min mile pace). So I ran for 40:40 and when I mapped my run, I had done 4.8 miles.
    Pretty happy with that to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Good run. I often find that - when I'm not watching my pace constantly in the garmin, my 'easy' pace is faster than I expected. Then I look back at my 5 mile run in January, that took me 46 minutes, and I'm going faster than that when I'm just out of bed. It's nice to see the progress.

Thanks Ray! I was happy with the time, but it was a tough run. I seemed to be going uphill for most of it. How'd that happen?

I'd love to live on that block in the Miller ad that's downhill the whole way round...genuinely easy!!

I just realised I'm pitting myself for a 2hour half against someone who's running 17 miles. I'm gonna hazard that that's a bad call on my part :rolleyes:. What was your longest run before that 17 last week by the way? I'm just curious.

claralara wrote: »
    I'd love to live on that block in the Miller ad that's downhill the whole way round...genuinely easy!!

I just realised I'm pitting myself for a 2hour half against someone who's running 17 miles. I'm gonna hazard that that's a bad call on my part :rolleyes:. What was your longest run before that 17 last week by the way? I'm just curious.

When I'm running up hills, I keep telling myself 'they'll stand to you during the half and the DCM'. So sensible :p
    Are you going to follow the pacers around at the half? That's my plan and then try to leg it for the last mile.

Before the 17 miler, I had done a 13, then a 15. Am hoping to do 20 this Saturday. Was signed up to do the Firhouse 10k as it's across the road, but having missed my LSR last weekend, I can't afford to miss another one.

Did 4 miles this morning at 6.30am. I always feel a bit like Wonder Woman or Jamie Somers out running at this hour of the morning. On a mission while the world sleeps.
    Um, anyway........... :D
    I did the 4 miles in over 34 minutes, I forgot what pace, I think 8.30 or something like that.

A few motorists hooted at me this morning, nice little polite ones. Before if I heard somebody hooting, I'd just be all 'who the hell do they think they are :mad:', but since Mrslow posted about hooting in admiration at 2 running ladies and getting a none too positive response, I have now decided that all motorists are supportive & this is their little way of showing they care!

When I'm running up hills, I keep telling myself 'they'll stand to you during the half and the DCM'. So sensible :p
    Are you going to follow the pacers around at the half? That's my plan and then try to leg it for the last mile.

Before the 17 miler, I had done a 13, then a 15. Am hoping to do 20 this Saturday. Was signed up to do the Firhouse 10k as it's across the road, but having missed my LSR last weekend, I can't afford to miss another one.

Yep, I think I'll join the pacers. Although I think I'll be a scaredy cat about introducing myself to people...

That's a great improvement in miles. Big jumps each time - don't think I'd be able for that. So you're planning the big 2-0 this weekend..yikes! I'm settling for an easy 11 somewhere!

Yep, I think I'll join the pacers. Although I think I'll be a scaredy cat about introducing myself to people...

If you don't introduce yourself, how am I going to know who to buy drinks for?? :D
    I haven't met Racoon Queen but Menoscemo is very friendly, so do say 'hello'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

If you don't come up and say hello, I'll run around shouting 'who is Claralara' at the start line and that will just embarass you more :D
    If you don't introduce yourself, how am I going to know who to buy drinks for?? :D
    I haven't met Racoon Queen but Menoscemo is very friendly, so do say 'hello'.

Aw Thanks. RQ is lovely but expect her to begin shouting round mile 10.

menoscemo wrote: »
    If you don't come up and say hello, I'll run around shouting 'who is Claralara' at the start line and that will just embarass you more :D

Aw Thanks. RQ is lovely but expect her to begin shouting round mile 10.

Some of us need all the help we can get, at mile 10 I'm sure I won't even hear RQ - I'll be so focused on those balloons.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

at mile 10 I'm sure I won't even hear RQ - I'll be so focused on those balloons.
    At 2hr HM pace, you'll still be laughing and cracking jokes at mile 10 :pac::)

• Advertisement

So did my 20 miles today :D (I don't think that smiley is smiley enough to be honest)!

The run was okay, I'd say not as comfortable as the 17 miler but I'm delighted to have done it. It was nice to see familiar faces and some new ones this morning. Thanks to RK for all her encouragement.

I've been a bit of a zombie all day & my right hip bone is a bit niggly. Hopefully it will pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Well done on hitting the 20 mile mark, sounds like ye had a good run in the park. I'm dead jealous :pac:

Congrats JC! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

So did my 20 miles today :D (I don't think that smiley is smiley enough to be honest)!

Brilliant, really happy for you reaching the 20 mile mark. You should be chuffed with your performance and progress. You'll do great in next week's half.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

dolliemix wrote: »
    Congrats JC! :)

+1. Congrats on that huge milestone! :D

Boy, was it windy around Firhouse/Knocklyon this morning?!? :eek: Did my final few miles into the wind, not pleasant but I arrived home unscathed.

Did 5 miles in 45:34, pace of 9:06
    A very steady comfortable run. I love starting the day like this.

Thankfully my hip bone was fine on Sunday after my LSR, I went for a few drinks on Saturday night and getting up on to the bar stool, I was like a little old dear.... :o

And I've changed my log title - bout time too! :D

Good for you! I envy your pace!

Another 5 miles this morning in 43:27, quicker pace than yesterday of 8.44.

And again, quite a comfortable run, had to alter my route slightly as I was running into the wind on the way home on a road with zero shelter :eek: - yes that does resemble my face at the time! :D

No idea how I'm going to fit in a longer run tomorrow. It was kinda dark at 6.30 this morning, so I don't fancy getting up any earlier. I may just have to do 5 again, sorry Hal. :rolleyes:

Good running there yesterday and today. It was ridiculously windy this mornign wasn't it?! I felt like I was being blown backwards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Thankfully my hip bone was fine on Sunday after my LSR, I went for a few drinks on Saturday night and getting up on to the bar stool, I was like a little old dear.... :o
    You ran 20 miles and still had the energy to get on top of a bar stool?! A lesson to us all. :)

Advertisement