Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training log for DCM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

when there's drink to be had........ :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

You ran 20 miles and still had the energy to get on top of a bar stool?! A lesson to us all. :)

It's just practice for when she gets on top of a barstool after 26.2 miles next month ;)

practice makes perfect :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Now I know why I'm not bumping into you.....You're running at 06:30 and I'm still in bed trying to figure out how to spend raycun's tax dollars :D....I've done that Firhouse loop for the last 2 days but at about 4 ish.....Are you running the half?

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Now I know why I'm not bumping into you.....You're running at 06:30 and I'm still in bed trying to figure out how to spend raycun's tax dollars :D....I've done that Firhouse loop for the last 2 days but at about 4 ish.....Are you running the half?

I haven't done the Firhouse loop for a while, I head the other way. I have to squeeze in runs when I can which is before 7am or after 8pm. Such is life.

Yeah I'm doing the half, aiming for sub 2hr. How about you?

• Advertisement

Another 5 miles in the bag. I woke up just before the alarm was due to go off, is that my running instinct kicking in? :D I was exhausted so switched the alarm off. Five seconds later, the voices in my head start up. 'you know you'll regret it if you don't go', 'you can rest tomorrow'.....

So off I trudged and it was a lovely run, 8.46 pace, took 43:47 I think. And it was a lovely morning, despite the wind again on the way home. I decided to sprint the last few hundred meters, uphill and into the wind. Bad idea! Let's just say I'm lucky that I hadn't eaten anything before my run!! :eek:

jcsmum wrote: »
    I haven't done the Firhouse loop for a while, I head the other way. I have to squeeze in runs when I can which is before 7am or after 8pm. Such is life.

Yeah I'm doing the half, aiming for sub 2hr. How about you?

Yep, doing the half and hoping for sub 1:50......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

I just couldn't get out of bed this morning and had to do my run this evening. :o

Well done you for getting up so early consistently :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Great time! Well done!! I was in menoscemo's pocket for the entire thing!! I had a good look around for you but you actually wouldn't believe how popular raspberry coloured tops are!! I'm sorry I missed beers now :mad:

Great time in the half....Well done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

Well done yesterday jcsmum, and great to put a face to your name even if I felt like a total loon coming over!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

+1 on the above, well done on a great time and roll on the full :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Saw your update on the half thread, well done! Roll on M-Day :D

Time to put in a proper race report.....

I have to say I am such a moody cow the morning of a race, between the nerves and the excitment and trying to get hubby and JC into the car, it's not easy!
    I nearly died when I saw the queue for the portaloos, this was at 9.45. Let's just say I swallowed my pride and left the queue :o
    Moving swiftly on, I spotted my chosen balloons and met Meno and RQ, Met WB Yeats, RK and Tipsy Gypsy at the start line too.
    I managed to stay with the pacers for the first mile or two, but with the hugh crows and trying to overtake people, staying with them was just not possible. I was maybe 10 seconds behind them coming up Chesterfield avenue to the Castleknock gate u-turn. Somehow managed to get ahead of them on the way down the avenue. Had arranged to grab a bottle of High-5 from hubby down the avenue & that worked pretty well. JC was shouting words of encouragement and he was LOUD. I heard afterwards that he shouted 'come on mammy, everyone is passing you out, put your back into it'! :D
    So on I carried, and I kept maybe a minute or less ahead of the pacers, any time there was a bend in the road, I glanced back to see how far away they were. Some lovely woman gave me a few fruit pastilles around mile 6. I kept a pretty steady pace throughout, I'm always conscious of leaving enough in the tank for the last mile or two and of course was mindful of the hill at the furry glen. So many people seemed to give up from the kyber to the Furry glen and were walking. It was nice to see the Knockmaroon gate though and then along by the Ordinancy survey office and down the avenue again. My 2 member fan club were at the junction on the avenue heading towards the finish line. More words of encouragement! I remember races, not too long ago, I was hardly able to raise my head to them, now I wave and call out to them - that's progress!
    In hindsight I probably could have pushed myself a bit more, I never once felt exhausted during the race, and I was able to sprint the last 400 meters. Even after crossing the finish line, I was pretty comfortable too, unlike the 5 and 10 miler.

All in all, my favourite race so far... EVER. It has given me huge confidence for the marathon.
    Again, big thanks to RQ and Menoscemo and of course to RK for her never ending words of encouragement.
    Roll on Oct 25th! :cool:

Oh yeah, my chip time was 1:56:58

Congrats! You must be delighted :)

Your kid's comments make me laugh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Wow - brilliant time. You must be thrilled! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Brilliant, knew you wouldn't have any problems with 2 hours! Roll on the full :)

So headed out last night, my first run in the dark (well in street light) in ages! Was so surprised the first 2 miles were awful :eek: , my legs were heavy, I seemed to be trudging along. Thing is, post HM I felt great, no aches or pains!
    The more I ran though, the more I seemed to loosen up and enjoy it. Did 6 miles in 57:57, pace of 9:39.

Up bright and early this morning - well actually it wasn't bright atall! lovely morning for a run though, nice and still.
    Managed 6 miles, in 54:19, pace of 9:03
    Comfortable pace. :)

Couldn't join the group in the park this morning for the LSR and due to family stuff etc.... only managed to sqeeze in 11 miles this afternoon. 'Twill have to do!
    Pace of 9:16, took me 1:41:48. Happy enough with that.

Looking forward to the 5k race tomorrow despite the fact that I'm off out with the gals tonight. Will have to be good! ;)

• Advertisement

So I did the Rathfarnham 5K this morning, was hoping for a sub 25 min race. I was out last night and to be honest I was not 100% this morning, was exhausted.
    But it was such a beautiful morning and the last race before the big one, so I decided to give it my all. Again, the first half km was crazy, trying to overtake but soon I got into a good stride, did the first mile in 7:17 but knew there was NO way I could keep going at that pace.
    My garmin read 24:06 having crossed the line. :D

I am getting so competitive though, I was saying because there is no chip timing for the race I kept thinking, maybe I did a sub 24
    My OH kept saying 'but you just wanted to do a sub 25, aren't you happy with that?'
    Answer is yes (and no!) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Good running, that's a great time! Surprised I didn't bump into you there...

Well done, that's a really good time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Good running especially with being out last night, surprised I didn't see you...

Anyway Now you know what time you have to beat in the next 5k. Jingle bells in December?:D

I didn't see any familiar face this morning either. To be honest, we arrived at 9.40 and left soon after I finished the race. Would have like to go up for the cuppa afterwards, but I'm mindful that not everyone is into running & talking about running! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Well done on the 5k, jcsmum, that's a good time. I'm sure you''ll get under 24mins at the next 5k :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Congrats jcsmum, that's a great time! 7.17 for your first mile :eek:

Well done speedster :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Wow, great time jcsmum! Congrats on that.

Only managed to get in 4 miles last night (Sorry Hal :o) I didn't stretch enough beforehand and as it was my first run after the 5k race on Sunday, my legs felt very tight. Did a quick enough pace of just over 9 min miles, but really should have stretched more :(.
    Am now in the 'please don't let me get injured, please don't let me get injured' state of mind, so was happy enough to get back home unscathed!

4 miles in 36:44

• Advertisement

I got busy since my last post :)

6 miles last night, pace of 9.13, took me 55:17 - would have liked to have done a few more (I know, I know, Hal said 10), but I didn't get out until 8.30 and although I'm lucky to be living in the city with street lights and footpaths, there aren't half enough of them. Some stretches of footpaths are in darkness and I'm petrified I'm going to trip or twist my ankle. So I accepted that 6 was all I could do - but it was a nice paced 6.

This morning I was up bright and early and managed to get 5 in, around the 9 min mile pace. It was a beautiful morning for a run and my legs are 'back to normal' again. I did use my old runners yesterday and Tuesday, so maybe that had something to do with the tightness in my shins and calves.

Tomorrow is rest day before the 20 miler on Saturday. Bring it ON :cool:

Advertisement