Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training log for DCM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

jcsmum wrote: »
    Tomorrow is rest day before the 20 miler on Saturday. Bring it ON :cool:

I love your confidence! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Tomorrow is rest day before the 20 miler on Saturday. Bring it ON :cool:

See you there :D. You'll fly through it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

So, met up with the non-splitters digger, meno, grimbergen, Ladgaga, with RayCun and Brianderunner joining later on on Saturday morning.
    Was all set for doing 20. All was going well until mile 14. The pace might have been a little bit quicker than if I was doing a 20 miler on my own, but I was comfortable until then.
    Then I hit the wall, I reversed and crashed into it again. For 3 miles I struggled big time. I had a stitch on either side of my ribs, the deep breathing helped for a while, but I was concentrating so much on my breathing, that I was getting a bit anxious. So many times, I so wanted to give up and start walking. I had no pain as such, but it was like my whole body wanted to lie down on the grass and go to sleep.
    At mile 17 I fell off the back of the group and I had to stop. I walked a little bit and was about to turn around and head back to the car which would have probably brought me to 18.5 miles when I looked up - digger had come back to 'mind' me. I so appreciated that, it's one thing to mess up your own LSR, but not somebody else's. So on we plodded for another bit but twice more I had to stop and walk. I did run the last bit and did 19.7 miles total.
    I sat into the car and was like a zombie, I couldn't move and was close to tears. :o
    When I arrived home, I was barely able to function, I had a very s-l-o-w shower and fell into bed - slept for an hour, something I NEVER do in the middle of the day.

Looking back, i'm not sure if there is anything I could have done differently, I think it was just my body's exhaustion that got in the way on Saturday. I don't think I did anything wrong as such & thankfully I've no aches and pains and no injury.

I was determined to go for a recovery run yesterday, just to make sure I hadn't lost confidence - did 4 nice miles in 37:57. Very happy with that. :)

Onwards and upwards

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I think we were going between 9.30 and 9.50 for the first few miles, and around 9.50 either side of the break at the cars. If you're aiming for 4.15 in the marathon that's about 9.44 pace - so that LSR was essentially at marathon pace. No wonder you were knackered!
    A few weeks taper and you'll be grand on the day.

My Garmin reading - I met up with you all in mile 5, went off to get water at 10/11, and we stopped at the cars in mile 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Sounds like you were going at a fair pace for that run. Glad to see you came through it and were able to run again yesterday. At least that's as bad as it gets on the training front. Taper time is here, enjoy it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Looking back, i'm not sure if there is anything I could have done differently, I think it was just my body's exhaustion that got in the way on Saturday. I don't think I did anything wrong as such & thankfully I've no aches and pains and no injury.

I was determined to go for a recovery run yesterday, just to make sure I hadn't lost confidence - did 4 nice miles in 37:57. Very happy with that. :)

Onwards and upwards

We had averaged 9:46 pace up until about mile 17 so as RayCun says that's fast enough based on your pmp I guess....As I said to you on Saturday (but you may not have heard me whilst in your 'Zen-like' state ;) ) I had exactly the same experience last year on one of my long runs...Just fell apart and couldn't put my finger on why - Some of the more experienced runners told me it happens to everyone, we can all have bad days...You've had yours so you're now safe for DCM day!!....You will be fine, just concentrate on good nutrition and lots of sleep (Jack permitting :))

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

JC......I had a similar experience on my 20 miler the week before last...... I was at mile 18 and it felt like an 18 wheeller had just smashed into me....I felt weak and thought I was going to keel over...I pushed out another mile but was pissed I had to stop then...However, I learned a number of key things you should bare in mind.....

*Nutrition - You gotta eat big... porridge, fruit, toast the works!!!!! Cuz thats ur initial fuel that will get you to mile 10 or 12.... I didn eat proper and I paid the price for it

*Sleep - Before each of my LSR until the weekend I had been out (soberly, but still out) till 4 in the morning and was averaging bout 4/5 hours sleep before hitting my run (Lesson: saturday jus gone did 15 miles with 8/9 hours sleep.... and felt a lot fresher and cut more than 5 mins off my 15 mile PB.... even had a sprint finish with my mate! :P)

*Injuries and illness - Look after urself and don't do anything that u think might even injure u at this stage.....U did ur 20 miles...thats an achievement that few ppl can say they have done....so don't beat urself up over it....Thats impressive that u 20 miles at ur PMP pace :)

@Digger - - - Fair play to you!!! :)

JCS Mum, sorry about the saturday experience. I was really surprised when you dropped off. You always looked so strong in other runs we did, like the 17 miler.
    One thing i think you should keep an eye on is your hydration/nutrition strategy. I noticed that you didn't eat anything during the run and drank very little if anything? Certainly up to the first car break at 10.5 miles you had no water with you and after the car break you were carrying a bottle but did you drink anything?

What happened you on saturday sounds very similar to what happened me in the marathon last year. I missed some waterstops and was totally dehydrated and got the same symptoms as you (stitches, light head, general tiredness etc.) The thing about dehydration is it can creep up on you if you haven't been drinking. 10.5 miles is too far to go without drinking something in my opinion.

The good thing is you got through the run and didn't give up. You proved how determined you are- that will stand to you. I am sure with a better nutrition/hydration policy you'll be fine on the big day. Everyone has bad runs sometimes...

Perkina, you're so right.
    Sleep wise & injury/illness I'm doing okay (touch wood!), so really my nutrition is the one thing I need to focus on and improve.
    I do need to eat more before my LSR. A bowl of cereal and a glass of OJ just doesn't cut it.

menoscemo wrote: »
    JCS Mum, sorry about the saturday experience. I was really surprised when you dropped off. You always looked so strong in other runs we did, like the 17 miler.
    One thing i think you should keep an eye on is your hydration/nutrition strategy. I noticed that you didn't eat anything during the run and drank very little if anything? Certainly up to the first car break at 10.5 miles you had no water with you and after the car break you were carrying a bottle but did you drink anything?

What happened you on saturday sounds very similar to what happened me in the marathon last year. I missed some waterstops and was totally dehydrated and got the same symptoms as you (stitches, light head, general tiredness etc.) The thing about dehydration is it can creep up on you if you haven't been drinking. 10.5 miles is too far to go without drinking something in my opinion.

The good thing is you got through the run and didn't give up. You proved how determined you are- that will stand to you. I am sure with a better nutrition/hydration policy you'll be fine on the big day. Everyone has bad runs sometimes...

I know. I just haven't grasped the knack of knowing what & when to eat/drink & I hate having to carry stuff. I'm not loving the gels either.
    I did have a few powerbar gel sweets throughout the run on Saturday, and you're right I had my first drink after 10.5 miles. (that is me being stubborn because I didn't want to carry anything!)
    Will definitely have to revise my strategy.

• Advertisement

I know. I just haven't grasped the knack of knowing what & when to eat/drink & I hate having to carry stuff. I'm not loving the gels either.
    I did have a few powerbar gel sweets throughout the run on Saturday, and you're right I had my first drink after 10.5 miles. (that is me being stubborn because I didn't want to carry anything!)
    Will definitely have to revise my strategy.

The good news is that in DCM they hand you bottles of water every 3 miles :D;)

menoscemo wrote: »
    The good news is that in DCM they hand you bottles of water every 3 miles :D;)

My issue is with the gels - they don't make me ill or anything, it's just I don't like them.

My issue is with the gels - they don't make me ill or anything, it's just I don't like them.

I don't like gels either, but as you saw on saturday i carry ones that are premixed with water, they are the only ones i can stomach. If i were you I'd experiment with sweets and bars over the next few weeks and see which ones you like. If you don't want to carry them you can always have people placed at strategic points along the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

Perkina3 wrote: »

*Nutrition - You gotta eat big... porridge, fruit, toast the works!!!!! Cuz thats ur initial fuel that will get you to mile 10 or 12.... I didn eat proper and I paid the price for it

@Digger - - - Fair play to you!!! :)

I second the above, you HAVE TO EAT well and plentiful. I found mile 15 of my lsr yesterday my stomach was rumbling. Never happened before but because i was out of the habit (due to injury) of carbing up the day before LSR's (Saturday) i felt hungry during the run. Being serious if you don't eat up your going to die hard on the day...i now carb up especially the day before a long run and morning of it plenty of good food.

I hit something like you did a good while back, our first 10 miler (which seems such small mileage now) and my diet was so small, sure no wonder i'd no energy...

I think you'll be fine from now and good point above about sleep and water/gels.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

They have the isotonic gels in the Cycle Superstore off the Greenhills road, you should drop in and pick a few up. They taste like flavoured water really, not the gunk of the Powerbar gels (but they don't have as much of a kick either). Plus, they'll be giving them out on the day, so if you like them, you don't have to carry them.

5 miles done, 9.35 mile/min pace (despite a strong wind on the home strait).
    Am actually enjoying these shorter runs, am not focusing on pace or time, I'm just trying to get out there and keep ticking away until the big day.

Other people at work have now found out I'm doing the marathon. Man, I'm loving the awe & disbelief on their faces. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Nice running jcsmum.
    Other people at work have now found out I'm doing the marathon. Man, I'm loving the awe & disbelief on their faces. :cool:

I wonder am I the only one who has found that nearly everyone presumes its the womens mini-marathon I'm doing. Someone yesterday asked me if I was walking or running :pac:

RubyK wrote: »
    Nice running jcsmum.

I wonder am I the only one who has found that nearly everyone presumes its the womens mini-marathon I'm doing. Someone yesterday asked me if I was walking or running :pac:

I hope nobody spotted you eating Monster Munchies whilst on a training walk.....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

digger2d2 wrote: »
    I hope nobody spotted you eating Monster Munchies whilst on a training walk.....;)

Ah, so that's where I have been going wrong :D

RubyK wrote: »
    Nice running jcsmum.

I got a string of questions ... the marathon? the Dublin marathon? the one that's on this month? are you training for it? how many miles are you doing a week? are you a runner?
    All questions followed by this face :eek:

And I'm like 'whatevah, jeez get over it, I'm a runner, deal with it' :cool:
    Well actually I didn't say that part (but I was thinking it) ;):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Bez Bing

I got a string of questions ... the marathon? the Dublin marathon? the one that's on this month? are you training for it? how many miles are you doing a week? are you a runner?

Yeah I the love the are you training for it question, my uncle asked me the same thing a few weeks back.
    Nah just decided Id run it, sure whats 26.2 miles? Training is for losers! :D

5 miles this morning in 46:19, pace of 9:15
    It felt great apart from a small stitch in my side during the last mile. I think the 2 days off since my last run helped a lot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

I love the - "so how many miles is that?" question...
    And the face when you tell them it's 26.2...
    Priceless! :D:p

Headed out for 14 miles on Saturday. Have to say, I really enjoyed it. I took 2 isotonic gels (at mile 6 and mile 10) & they seemed to work out fine. Last week's messy 20 miler is definitely a thing of the past.

Did the 14 miles in 2:16, average pace of 9:43

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

At my son's party last week I was talking to a few of my wife's friends about the race when this one walked past, (I should point out this wagon has been in my house a dozen times and doesn't talk to me - for no reason) " 26 miles?" she says, " That's a marathon, the long one", I replied 'yes' she says "are you running it?, In Dublin?, in a few weeks?" - 'Yes' to which she replied "Oh" - What a citag (predictive text)

mrslow wrote: »
    At my son's party last week I was talking to a few of my wife's friends about the race when this one walked past, (I should point out this wagon has been in my house a dozen times and doesn't talk to me - for no reason) " 26 miles?" she says, " That's a marathon, the long one", I replied 'yes' she says "are you running it?, In Dublin?, in a few weeks?" - 'Yes' to which she replied "Oh" - What a citag (predictive text)

I either get the shocked faces or the 'are you nuts?' faces. Not that I could care less mind.
    At the moment I'm a bundle of nerves and excitement - it varies from hour to hour! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

I either get the shocked faces or the 'are you nuts?' faces. Not that I could care less mind.
    At the moment I'm a bundle of nerves and excitement - it varies from hour to hour! :D

Me Too!

mrslow wrote: »

I didn't know my Mother-In-Law was at your Son's party...........;)

Nice to hear you have got your confidence back!

• Advertisement

it varies from hour to hour! :D

So does mrslow's predicted finishing time................;);)

Advertisement