Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soundcloud Embedding

Options
  • 17-06-2010 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Basically the youtube (well, the Vimeo given the portability of the codec and high quality and stability it has) of audio embedding. There isn't any sort of audio embedding option available and the users of the various music forums are killing rendering times by throwing up pages and pages of youtube videos.

The API isn't too hard to implement, and it's stable as anything on PhpBB/vBulletin - plus it's not about to break any legacy stuff or seem to be encompassed in one of those flash embedding ''multi-fixes' that Conor refers to in the Vimeo thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Yep, this would be great. If Facebook can do it boards can!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

this would be soooooooo useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

pleeeeeeease!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Por favor!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭magicface1

great great call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

+1

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Definitely, Soundcloud is becoming the defacto standard for artists sharing music, an embed tag would be great! Please?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭c_o_ck p_i_ss chillage

Make it so :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I agree with this, there's a HTML embed tag which works on forums that support HTML, but most don't :(

And SoundCloud seems to be the most popular site for sharing music, it would be nice to see embedded mixes in posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I'll buy that for a dollar

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

Without a doubt boards needs to enhance the music forums with audio embedding........and from a recent thread where this was brought up Soundcloud does appear to be a good all rounder with what it offers.

Boards should move with the times & stay at least on a par with its contemporaries to maintain & grow its user base.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭NotInventedHere

+1 for this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

Thanks for all the expressions of support. It's on the list, we'll get around to it eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

I just made this request elsewhere. Here's the code:

http://blog.soundcloud.com/2009/07/28/soundcloud-player-in-forums-5-step-guide-for-soundcloud-bb-code/

Would be amazingly useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Never even heard of this, by the way OP the music threads with youtube vids are often as much posted/played for the visuals as the music.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

mike65 wrote: »
    the music threads with youtube vids are often as much posted/played for the visuals as the music.

Completely disagree with this. I click play on youtube videos on those threads every day, and I've never once watched the video. 90% of the time they're just a static image anyway.

Soundcloud would be way better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What you do and what the rest of boards does may be two quite different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Completely disagree with this. I click play on youtube videos on those threads every day, and I've never once watched the video. 90% of the time they're just a static image anyway.

I'm the same. I don't play mixes for video, I just listen to the audio and YouTube is a resource hog when there's loads on a page, it's unnecessary if SoundCloud is available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

I would have to say your right there........the very reason the suggestion has been made to include soundcloud code on the forum is people want to access music, the visual only comes with it as it is the boards that have decided youtube is only permitted as a way of sharing tunes on threads.......if soundcloud was included you would, i imagine, see a fairly substantial decline in the amount of YT bvids being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

What about boards.ie getting a licenced copy of jwplayer and allow users to embed mp3 files on other servers? If it is only in the music forums etc... that usage should be fine copyrightwise based on other music sites like hypem or elbo.ws etc...

Jwplayer supports FLV, H.264/MPEG-4, MP3 & YouTube Videos and has flash and silverlight versions so could even replace the youtube plugin (it can be annoying having to click twice to open the video and then it opens in new window and you don't want it to)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

Hey,

I spend most of my boards.ie time on the music forums such as "bands/musicians" and "music production"

I was wondering if it would be possible to be able to embed a soundcloud player in posts similiar to the way the youtube player has it's own tags to allow it to appear (I believe it's because HTML links are not allowed which prevents the embedding process, although I could be wrong).

I think this would be helpful for all the people on the forums I mentioned above as there is a lot of showcasing songs they are working on and keeping it all in one thread as opposed to having to open other pages would be great.

Just to illustrate the point, this thread here could benefit from having the option to embed the soundcloud player.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055979703

Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

No need to post it again. The reason I pointed you in the direction of this thread was to give you the opportunity to see that it had already been asked for.

It'll get done eventually, but there's a long line of way more important things to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

+1

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement