Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why not go to bord gais 10% cheaper?

Options
  • 17-06-2010 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭

Unbelievably i have just answered the door to a bord gais electricity salesman!!!!

So he is offering me instant changeover and a 10 per cent saving on my usage bill.

What have esb got to offer me in order to keep me as a customer?

Great to see you on here, very progressive for a state agency!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Electric Ireland: Pat

Hi Slavetothegrind

ESBCS electricity prices are regularly reviewed, set and agreed with the CER.(the Commission for Energy Regulation) ESB is not allowed discount from that rate, other suppliers are allowed charge as they wish.

The CER has decided that ESB will be fully deregulated for business customers from 1st October 2010 and for residential customers when ESB’s market share reduces by 40%. This is a significant milestone in the development of a competitive retail electricity market in Ireland and is a positive step for all customers. We are looking forward to competing as a fully deregulated supplier. At this point we cannot make any specific comments regarding future electricity prices.
    We are committed to continually improving and enhancing the service we offer customers for e.g:
    • Online Billing launched in October 2008
    • Launch of useful services such as online calculator and energy efficient house
    • We offer multiple ways for you to contact us: eg Phone (agent & IVR), online, post, and now Boards.ie etc
    • We offer multiple payment options to satisfy many different needs (Direct Debit, Laser, Cheque, Post Office, Paypoint, PayZone, A.I.B, Bank of Ireland and Billpay.ie)
    • We provide advice and solutions on Energy Efficiency to encourage customers to use electricity efficiently to manage their electricity costs and protect the environment.
    • We provide Safety information to ensure you enjoy the benefits of electricity safely.
    • We are currently running trials on the provision of Smart metering

Regards

Pat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Unbelievably i have just answered the door to a bord gais electricity salesman!!!!

So he is offering me instant changeover and a 10 per cent saving on my usage bill.

What have esb got to offer me in order to keep me as a customer?

Great to see you on here, very progressive for a state agency!
    bord gais billing is all over the place! they send bills out late on a regular basis and refuse to amend the direct debit payment dates to allow the 14days notice of the direct debit. this is the main reason i would not trust them to manage my electricity account!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

foggy_lad wrote: »
    bord gais billing is all over the place! they send bills out late on a regular basis and refuse to amend the direct debit payment dates to allow the 14days notice of the direct debit. this is the main reason i would not trust them to manage my electricity account!

You can get 10% off the ESB's rates from Bord Gais without paying by direct debit.

For customers who pay by DD, the discount is 12%, but you don't have to take that option if you're uncomfortable with it.

To the OP - the benefits Pat describes are available from all the suppliers in the market, and really switching to Bord Gais (or Airtricity) is a complete no-brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Baron Floyd

for residential customers when ESB’s market share reduces by 40%.

If I am reading this incorrectly please let me know, You wont be deregulated for residential customers (and then allowed to be competitive with your pricing) until your loose 40% Market share?

So if we were to leave ESB now you would hit that target all the sooner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

amatheum wrote: »

So if we were to leave ESB now you would hit that target all the sooner?
    Thats correct. (the relevant directive is available on the CER website).

Thats the idea behind the directive also, to introduce genuine competitors into the supply market, and to allow sufficient time in regulation to remove ESB cs economy of scale advantage.

Edit: I am in no way affiliated to ESB, and it would be interesting to hear an official reply from ESB CS re the cer directive vis a vis deregulation and their views on losing customers in order to be deregulated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Electric Ireland: Pat

Hi guys a few points,
    I can’t really speak for the other Suppliers we are here to answer questions on ESBCS. I know the merits and demerits of the various Suppliers are fully discussed on Boards in various sections, mainly Consumer issues.
    In relation to CS losing customers I suppose that I can only repeat that CER has said that we will be fully deregulated for Residential customers when our market share hits 40%, at this point we really can’t make any specific comments regarding future price.
    Regards

Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

gizmo555 wrote: »

To the OP - the benefits Pat describes are available from all the suppliers in the market, and really switching to Bord Gais (or Airtricity) is a complete no-brainer.

esb arnt allowed to compete until they have lost 40% of the residential market, which isnt TOO far away.

then they can charge what they like.

let all the fools go to other suppliers so we can hit the 40%!!

copeyhagen wrote: »
    esb arnt allowed to compete until they have lost 40% of the residential market, which isnt TOO far away.

When the ESB is free to set its own prices and if they are then cheaper than other suppliers, we can always switch back to them. In the meantime, why are we fools for not voluntarily paying between 10% and 13% more for our electricity than we need to?

I've saved about €220 in the past year by switching from the ESB. The lights still come on and the kettle still boils when I flick the switch. I don't know what my current supplier's customer service is like, because I've never had any reason to be in contact with them. What possible reason could there be for staying with the ESB and not keeping that cash in my pocket?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 I.K.Brunel

Max Power1 wrote: »

Edit: I am in no way affiliated to ESB, and it would be interesting to hear an official reply from ESB CS re the cer directive vis a vis deregulation and their views on losing customers in order to be deregulated.

The views of all suppliers including ESB CS are readily available to the public. Check out the CER wwebsite where they published their directive and copies of all the replies received from the various interested parties to the consultation paper.

Below is a press release issued by ESB on 21st April (taken from the ESB website) but it doesn't express any direct views on customer losses:

ESB welcomes the CER decision on the "Roadmap to Deregulation"

ESB welcomes the CER decision on the "Roadmap to Deregulation" for the retail electricity market. This is a significant milestone in the development of a competitive retail electricity market in Ireland and is a positive step for customers.
    The CER has decided that ESB will be fully deregulated for business customers from 1st October 2010 and for residential customers when its market share reduces to 60%.
    ESB looks forward to competing as a fully deregulated supplier. It cannot, however, make any specific comments regarding future electricity prices at this point.
    The CER has also decided that ESB must provide a commitment to rebranding its supply business as part of the deregulation process. Changing a long-established brand is a challenging and complex undertaking that requires careful planning and implementation in order to avoid customer confusion and uncertainty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 dagpoker.com

Over the past 18 months i have saved over €750 by moving to Bord Gáis,Can you explain how that makes me a "fool" in my eyes if i save that money surely it makes me a smart person

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

We are committed to continually improving and enhancing the service we offer customers for e.g:
    • Online Billing launched in October 2008
    • Launch of useful services such as online calculator and energy efficient house
    • We offer multiple ways for you to contact us: eg Phone (agent & IVR), online, post, and now Boards.ie etc
    • We offer multiple payment options to satisfy many different needs (Direct Debit, Laser, Cheque, Post Office, Paypoint, PayZone, A.I.B, Bank of Ireland and Billpay.ie)
    • We provide advice and solutions on Energy Efficiency to encourage customers to use electricity efficiently to manage their electricity costs and protect the environment.
    • We provide Safety information to ensure you enjoy the benefits of electricity safely.
    • We are currently running trials on the provision of Smart metering

So you are saying that all that blurb is worth paying an extra 10% plus for?!?!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭starfish12

Nope starbelgrade, read the post, he's saying that CER set prices & esb aren't allowed to reduce their rate, its all about the government creating artifical competition in the market place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 daisy21

I would hope you are not referring to people who want to save some money by going to a cheaper supplier as fools!! No wonder ESB are over priced with the wages they pay. look at the papers on Sunday where one sees the CEO earnnig well over 400k per annum. Likewise knowing people at otehr tiers within the company they do recignise that they have good wages and unlike others througout teh country have yet to get pay decreases! ( when thats what they tell me anyway!)

regardless of what their staff do or dont earn, the issue is with CER trying to artifically create competition, think about it, if the govt allowed esb to reduce prices, you can be sure the other companies would too, and then we'd all get cheaper electricity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 daisy21

starfish12 wrote: »
    regardless of what their staff do or dont earn, the issue is with CER trying to artifically create competition, think about it, if the govt allowed esb to reduce prices, you can be sure the other companies would too, and then we'd all get cheaper electricity.

do you then think it would be better to privatise the company

tbh i dont really care one way or the other, ive changed to a cheaper provider, and will continue to swap around to get the best price that suits me, it just annoys me that irish consumers can't get the best price, we can just get a discount from the price thats determined.

So you are saying that all that blurb is worth paying an extra 10% plus for?!?!!!!
    Obviously not. But the ESB guys can hardly say "we want to lose enough of you as customers so we can charge lower prices", even if that is the privately held opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DOTHEDOG

ok very sweet and short

will the esb cancel my bill if i threaten to go to another company :D

EDIT: can we have someone from bord gais here to represent themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭ESB CS: Chris

ok very sweet and short

will the esb cancel my bill if i threaten to go to another company

Hi Dothedog,

To give you a short and sweet answer, while we appreciate your custom, we will not cancel your bill if you threaten to move to another supplier.

No matter which supplier you are with you will be charged for all of the electricity you use.

Many thanks
    Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

starfish12 wrote: »
    Nope starbelgrade, read the post, he's saying that CER set prices & esb aren't allowed to reduce their rate, its all about the government creating artifical competition in the market place

Hi Starfish,

I don't understand why you say "artificial competition". Surely if new entrants to the market are allowed to establish themselves here then that's real competition?

Z

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

DOTHEDOG wrote: »

will the esb cancel my bill if i threaten to go to another company :D

I don't think any company would do that (phone, gas, electricity, video rental, etc) ... it's illogical!

Cheers,

Z

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

ESB used to be the 2nd cheapest producer of domestic electricity in Europe. Until it was decided that they had a "Monopoly" which was deemed to be unfair. So in order to intice new blood into the game the rewards had to be improved. The result has been a huge increase in the cost of electricity.

The wages bill has nothing got to do with it, just Ireland bowing down to Euro guidelines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DOTHEDOG

Hi Dothedog,

To give you a short and sweet answer, while we appreciate your custom, we will not cancel your bill if you threaten to move to another supplier.

No matter which supplier you are with you will be charged for all of the electricity you use.

Many thanks
    Chris

it was a joke chris ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭ESB CS: Chris

it was a joke chris

In the words of Homer Simpson: "Oh, I get it! I get jokes!" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The biggest issue I have with Bord Gais is that they can't even get their own bills right. I can't remember the last time I saw someone coming to read the meter, and over the last 18 months, 17 months have been estimated/me phoning in the reading bills. I can only imagine how bad they would be with electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The biggest issue I have with Bord Gais is that they can't even get their own bills right. I can't remember the last time I saw someone coming to read the meter, and over the last 18 months, 17 months have been estimated/me phoning in the reading bills. I can only imagine how bad they would be with electricity.

You can't submit Elec reading online for BG and can't view history of submitted gas readings which is a pain in the ass. But they've been pretty good with readings for me so far

ESB networks provide readings for all electricity customers, irrespective of supplier.

(similar to the way BGE Networks provide readings for all gas customers, irrespective of supplier)

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Catalpa1

Saw this on the Alternative Energy suppliers section

http://www.clareherald.com/business-and-finance/consumer/2598-esb-disconnects-elderly-woman-who-never-missed-a-payment.html?lang

I gather that Airtricity had her disconnected because she didnt pay her deposit or direct debit she did however pay all her bills with them on time. Interesting question, years ago we all had tvs fridges on Hire Purchase from ESB and I remember that they couldnt disconnect you if you had paid the bill on time. Now I know that technically Airricity will say that she didnt pay to terms but did the Salesman who no doubt promised her the earth tell her she would be disconnected if she didnt pay a deposit or dd.I am beginging to worry that we will end up with fuel apartheid, those that can move i.e have money, resources will move but the fuel poor who need it the most will be unable to.

Having read the article, it seems she was disconnected because she didn't pay the €300 deposit required from customers who don't pay by direct debit.

This requirement is not unique to Airtricity - ESB has the same thing. Maybe she didn't understand the implications of not paying the deposit, but similar issues could easily be avoided if Airtricity (and other suppliers) put in place a policy of not effecting switches for non-DD customers until they have received the deposit they require.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Fnergg

Catalpa1 wrote: »
    ....I am beginging to worry that we will end up with fuel apartheid, those that can move i.e have money, resources will move but the fuel poor who need it the most will be unable to.

That's effectively what's happening.

Bord Gais Energy and Airtricity want Low Cost to Serve customers i.e. customers who will pay by direct debit, who will not fall into arrears and thus will not require regular payment reminders, the making of payment arrangements and the like. They have been focussing their customer recruitment campaigns therefore mainly on the middle classes, the customer segment most likely to be banked.

Of course, given the times we live in, many customers' direct debits bounce and so those companies still have to engage in payment collection activities but in the main, as a percentage of their customer base, such customers are quite small as both utilities have been very careful to cherry pick their customers from the ESB.

Meanwhile, as you say, the fuel poor who would benefit the most from a price reduction receive the cold shoulder from BGE and Airtricity. No direct debit? Pay a €300 deposit. In other words, get lost. The Big Switch is not for the likes of you.

And all this is countenanced by the CER in the interest of "promoting competition". The CER is forcing ESB Customer Supply to keep its prices higher than its competitors in order to encourage customers to move to the other, unregulated utilities.

You are quite right: it is fuel apartheid.

Regards,

Fnergg

Advertisement