Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enda wins

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

comical_ali.jpg

LOL There you go... Fixed for you! :D

332tpty.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

This town/city divide does nothing for Irish politics but its the same the world over. I'm from Clare so would probably be lumped into the mucksavage category. Truth is where I'm from makes no difference, I'll never vote for Kenny but for far better reasons than his home county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

MrDarcy wrote: »
    It's the auld shyte, you see it with Beverely Cooper Flynn and Michael Lowry, Healy Rae, these idiotic constituencies down in the bog, they elect these candidates almost to spite you, it's like poking you in the eye, to spite themselves and the rest of us, they elect clowns of the highest order almost to put it up to Dublin people...

yea its really really lucky that dublin votes in the intelligentsia like bertie aheren ,ray burke, joe higgins, gilmore etc!

jmayo wrote: »
    Either way i don't see Happy Gilmore being taoiseach
    Oh I do.
    This is a gift.
    The anti FF has to go somewhere and it won't go to Kenny...the man with the impossible smirk and who had the answers audibly promted to him on the banking inquiry on radio one last week...

Sigh!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Folks, do yourselves a favour and avoid "people from the west/country/city/etc etc are..." style posts. I've deleted two and issued appropriate formal reminders as a result. It's childish flame-baiting and causes trouble.

Additionally, responding to such twaddle by directly insulting a forum member who's posted it is something that will also earn you a formal reminder. The rules don't change merely because someone else is flame-baiting, you're still required to be aware of the contents of the forum charter. I've deleted rather more of these.

Try to avoid yellow and red cards that will lead to forum bans, it's better for you that way.

/mod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

gandalf wrote: »
    What this shows is that Enda is an egotistical selfish fool who has no cop on at all.

He sounds like your average politician so..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

loldog wrote: »
    Worked out OK for George W Bush
    No, no it did not! :eek:

This is the worst possible outcome from this whole debacle. I'll add my voice to the many on this thread and state that I will not be voting for FG again under Enda Kenny, nor will I be rejoining YFG. I believe those who supported him did so because they placed loyalty to the party leader and chances of promotion over what is best for the country. That makes them no different to Fianna Fáil in my eyes.

Those who differentiated FG from FF, the competent policymakers, all supported Bruton. The one exception being Reilly, though I would seriously have to question his motives after the last week.

Email to Richard Bruton, the 10 Front Benchers with their heads screwed on, and my County Council reps to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Gandalf wrote:
    What this shows is that Enda is an egotistical selfish fool who has no cop on at all.

Or it shows that he had the majority backing of the party and Bruton was wrong to challenge him...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

RonMexico wrote: »
    Just watching Kenny on TV3 now. His shower of gombeen cronies lining up behind him like bluebottles queing for best position on the freshly dropped turd.

It just goes to show that you can never underestimate the stupidity of a group of politicians.

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Or it shows that he had the majority backing of the party and Bruton was wrong to challenge him...
    What is wrong about being of the view that he can't take the party any further?
    I think it's a very valid view.

A few more polls and we'll see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

I said this in AH but I'll restate myself again. One reason why I think that things have gone the way they have this week is because its too close to the TDs summer holidays and they don't want ANYTHING interfering with it but I can guarantee you that the **** will hit the fan when they come back afterwards!

What a load of bollox if you ask me, at this point, if there was a election tomorrow, I'd be in a good mind to spoil my vote over this and I probably wouldn't be the only one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

I said this in AH but I'll restate myself again. One reason why I think that things have gone the way they have this week is because its too close to the TDs summer holidays and they don't want ANYTHING interfering with it but I can guarantee you that the **** will hit the fan when they come back afterwards!

What a load of bollox if you ask me, at this point, if there was a election tomorrow, I'd be in a good mind to spoil my vote over this and I probably wouldn't be the only one!
    Spoiling your vote would help how??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,145 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

So what?

This is the exact thinking that has FG in the situation its now in. The fact that floating voters (like myself) wont vote for FG with Kenny in charge should matter to the TD's, Senators, Councillors and that Kenny is a nice guy or is from my county or has offered me a job shouldn't come into their thinking. This vote shows that they no longer have any moral right to call FF out of touch with the people as they have shown that their own self interest and the interest of "the lads" is more important than what the public think.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    This is the exact thinking that has FG in the situation its now in. The fact that floating voters (like myself) wont vote for FG with Kenny in charge should matter to the TD's, Senators, Councillors and that Kenny is a nice guy or is from my county or has offered me a job shouldn't come into their thinking. This vote shows that they no longer have any moral right to call FF out of touch with the people as they have shown that their own self interest and the interest of "the lads" is more important than what the public think.

How about the floating voters like myself who would not vote for them with Bruton as leader?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

You've encapsulated it perfectly in those well chosen words.

Post of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭duffflash

Dr. Baltar wrote: »

Where are the PDs when we really need them?

WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    How about the floating voters like myself who would not vote for them with Bruton as leader?

Do you not represent the current status quo, with Fine Gael floundering?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

GUBU.

DeV.

Sulmac wrote: »
    The interview with the FG man in Castlebar on RTÉ was truly cringeworthy.

As was the Councillor that came out before it was officially announced and shouted "Up Mayo" and "Mayo have won it". If Bruton had managed to pull out a victory I couldnt imagine anyone coming out and shouting "Up the Dubs". It really shows how deluded some politicians are that they think it is acceptable to be this parochial. The sad thing is he'll probably get a bigger share of the vote next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,762 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Understanding economics does not make you a good leader. What is a disgrace is that Bruton says he will NOT serve on the front bench under Kenny, well then leave the party Mr Bruton.

in a way i admire that likely fleeting stance. how can you go from having no confidence to suddenly having confidence in the man again? the outcome of this vote is just a protraction of the inevitable if the negative polls continue.
    Bruton setting up his own party would be a disaster. what's more likely to happen, in the short term, is that both men will realise they need each other and so Bruton will be welcomed back to the frontbench. Kenny can spin it as he's above party political squabbling, and is putting the party and the country first. Bruton will cite the same reasons for rejoining the frontbench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

This worries me and could be the reason I dont vote for Fine Gael. The reason for my support of Fine Gael over the last couple of years is because of Varadker, Hayes, Bruton and Coveney, NOT Kenny. If the best talent in the party is going to be pushed into the background while nothing TDs that Kenny originally believed were not good enough for the front bench are now promoted, then I will have to consider my position on who I vote for

Then he should show the strength of his convictions and leave the party if he is not prepared to do what the party leaders asks him if necessary, that is the biggest form of me-fein ism ever. He should do what is best for the country and his party in that order, not put himself first

I think that is what Bruton was trying to do. Shame the rest of them wouldn't think about doing that now and again.

churchview wrote: »
    Do you not represent the current status quo, with Fine Gael floundering?

As a floating voter I decide on candidates at the time of elections based on what they have done previously and what their current policies are and whether I think they would do a good job. Also if they represent my feelings and opinions. I always thought Richard Bruton was very good as economics spokesperson, but I do not think that he would have been a good leader of FG or a good Taoiseach.
    There are very few decent options available at the moment to vote for and I have never voted on party lines, but one thing that would have some influence on my vote would be who the Taoiseach would be and I just do not think Richard Bruton would be a good Taoiseach. His timing of this heave during a no confidence vote in the government and the banking reports, does not lead me to believe his judgement is what it should be

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭eoinbn

As was the Councillor that came out before it was officially announced and shouted "Up Mayo" and "Mayo have won it". If Bruton had managed to pull out a victory I couldnt imagine anyone coming out and shouting "Up the Dubs". It really shows how deluded some politicians are that they think it is acceptable to be this parochial. The sad thing is he'll probably get a bigger share of the vote next time.

He stands in dublin but I think he is a meath man ;)

They can have an election process to choose a new leader. It doesn't have to be Bruton but a change was/is needed. We've had 8 years of Enda and he hasn't been able to capitalise on a government which is going from crisis to crisis and has basically bankrupted the country. Enda is going to cling on to power when the majority of his front bench (the TD's with most contact with him) do not see him as fit to lead.

Well all I ever hear from anyone I know from all parties who may switch their vote is that they'd vote FG if Kenny is gone.
    If I'm hearing that,I'm sure most are so you'd be in a minority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Gatsbygirl

So Tony, are you suggesting that it is acceptable to have a person who aspires to lead this country requiring a 'backroom" aid to continually prompt him on policy matters during a live media interview?? This does not exactly inspire confidence, no matter what way you present it.. If the man is not capable of outlining, presenting and defending his own party's policies in a coherent manner he should NOT be there, full stop!!

Gatsbygirl wrote: »
    So Tony, are you suggesting that it is acceptable to have a person who aspires to lead this country requiring a 'backroom" aid to continually prompt him on policy matters during a live media interview?? This does not exactly inspire confidence, no matter what way you present it.. If the man is not capable of outlining, presenting and defending his own party's policies in a coherent manner he should NOT be there, full stop!!

I don't care or not whether they have advice in their ear, I care whether they will do a good job. Brian Cowen doesn't have an ear piece in his ear and I don't think he is doing a good job. But just like me you are entitled to your opinion, but just don't force it on me

Its sh*t that Bruton didn’t win but now the country has the best chance of having a single party government with Labor.

• Advertisement

I don't care or not whether they have advice in their ear, I care whether they will do a good job. Brian Cowen doesn't have an ear piece in his ear and I don't think he is doing a good job. But just like me you are entitled to your opinion, but just don't force it on me
    You don't care that Kenny hadn't a clue the other day on the radio and had to be prompted by a handler on the banking report as to what to say?
    You're not embarrassed by that?

Oh my God...

Advertisement