Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LLM in European and Comparative Law

Options
  • 17-06-2010 4:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi there,

I was just wondering if anyone has any textbooks for the LLM in European and Comparative Law in UL for sale or even just a reading list for the course.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 legaleye

Hi LaBelleSel,

I just completed the course and have most of the books if your looking for them.

‘EU Criminal Law’ by Mitsilegas, V. (2009) €35

An Introduction to Comparative Law’ (3ed) (1998) by Zweigert, K. &
    Kotz, H. €25

'Constitutions Compared - An Introduction to Comparative Constitutional Law' (2ed) (2009) by Heringa, A. and Kiiver, P.

I also have reading lists for most of the modules too if you want them.

Really really good course and I would certaintly recommend it. Lecturers are excellent bar one or two. Very approachable team on the LLM in European and Comparative law, great for advice too on the legal profession also. I'm sure you will enjoy it as much as I did! Really wish it was longer the year just flew!

Pm at carolineosu@gmail.com if your interested in the books or want to know anything else in relation to the course.

Caroline

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭silverspoon

Hi, sorry to hijack the thread, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me a bit about the course? I'm really interested in it, and I'd like to learn a bit about it, stuff you can't glean from the summary UL offers. Such as: timetable, modules and what they're like etc etc??? Thanks!!!

Hi Sliverspoon,

I just finished the course in May, currently doing my dissertation for the summer. I really really enjoyed it and the course director Prof Walsh is brilliant! Everyone who has had him will tell you how nice he is and he is seriously passionate about his subject. Great time for students unlike some other lecturers in UL.

Its very much comparative based, i.e comparing and contrasting the EU countries as well as the EU and the US and Australia. In the first semester we had Intro to European Comparative law which Prof Walsh teaches, comparative property law (Una Woods), civil obligations (Eoin Quill) and legal research (Different lecturer most weeks as well as guest lecturers). We only had 8hrs a week in both semesters for lectures. Most people in the course could therefore work part time. In semester 1 we had Mondays and Fridays off and in Semester 2 we had no lectures Monday and Wednesday.

Most modules have two assignments and two presentations and you are assessed on these. However in semester one Civil obligations was a 50% assignment and 50% end of year exam, in semester two comparative constitutional law had 10% attendance, 30% class participation and 60% end of year exam.

In semester one all your modules are compulsory and in semester two you have two compulsory modules, public law and dissertation, then we had a choice of three subjects, pick two - EU criminal law, comparative competition law, criminal justice.

I would definitely recommend the course if you have an interest in EU and are interested in the comparing different jurisdictions and how their regimes came about. Found the majority of lecturers, bar one, to be extremely helpful and friendly and very much student oriented. Great for career advice too.

I did my undergrad in UCC and loved it, so wasnt sure about UL, but have to say I really enjoyed it! More so then UCC! The only thing is the 9months just fly, thats the only downside I had of the course!

If you want to know any more specfic let me know I'd be delighted to help.

Thanks so much legaleye! Very helpful!! I'm also a UCC graduate, fresh out...not even sure if I can call myself a graduate if I haven't been 'conferred'...

This 'bar one' sounds ominous enough, I'm sure I'll pick the offending out in due course! You've really sold me on it! Which is good considering I've already accepted my offer heh.

Oh great, congrads!! I loved UCC, and was thinking of doing my Masters there but a friend of mine also a UCC grad did his Masters in UL and loved it. So thats where I choose and must say I'm delighted I did.

You'll have a great time. Also the PSA Ball and Law ball are a must, esp the PSA Ball (postgrad) so much fun. The only regret most of us had was not socializing more together in the first semester and only really got to know each other in the Second semester when it was too late. So try and orgainse more class partys in semester one!!

Everyone loves Prof Walsh, head of the course. Nicest man ever and great lecturer you could listen to him all day!!

Anyways if you have any other questions feel free to ask anytime!!

• Advertisement

I'm looking forward to it now!

I didn't really want to stay in UCC; four years was enough. Well three actually in UCC, but anyway, I just wanted a change. Of course, it's not going to be a massive overhaul, considering I live just barely close enough to UL for me not to be able to justify moving to Limerick to my parents...wild times!
    So how big was your class size? I didn't do much mingling with my wider Law class (which I regret), especially since I was a Law Language student, and then went on Erasmus. So new start!!!

Sorry for the late reply crazy week of work!! Totally understand what your saying about moving colleges, as much as I enjoyed my time in UCC it was really nice to go somewhere different with different people. Limerick is a really fun city and the night life is great too.

There was just 6 of us doing the LLM in European and Comparative law this year, but we were always in with other classes so it was never just the six of us. You will always have some of the LLM general group in your class as they can take subjects from all th different LLM classes. I guess in the smallest class there was about 12 people and European Criminal Law in semester 2 had over thirty people. It varies depending on peoples different interests in subjects.

Definitely organise some class parties in semester one because as I said we only got to one each other properly in semester two and the time flew and I think most of us regretted it.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask or pm me at carolineosu@gmail.com.

Best of luck with it, you'll have a great time and enjoy it!!

Advertisement