Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching from Eircom to UPC

• 17-06-2010 5:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭

Im with eircom at the moment (5 mb i think) and am thinking of changing to UPC due to this whole 3 strikes thing that eircom are bringing out.

My question is is it worth changing to UPC or will they in a few months end up being forced down the same road as Eircom with the 3 strikes?
    Secondly will I have to change my home phone (will I have to use UPC as my landline provider)? And is there anything else I should consider when thinking about changing over?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Firstly, no one knows.

Secondly, not necessarily. You can keep the land line with eircom, or you can transfer your number to UPC (if they offer the phone service at your location). Keeping eircom would obviously be the most expensive way to proceed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Its hard to say if UPC will bring in the three strikes stuff or not. My feeling is that they wont unless the government steps in to force them, which I'm betting Eircom will try to get them to do so that they can stay competitive. Otherwise every letter they send out to warn people about infringing behavior will be another customer lost. I can't see any of the other providers taking it up voluntarily and I doubt that Ireland is the top of the list of countries that the RIAA is targeting, so your as safe with UPC as you are anywhere.

You don't need to switch your phone provider if you don't want to, its a completely separate line so if you really wanted to you could have both broadband and phone with both providers at the same time. That being said you don't have to pay line rental with UPC so I'd imagine you would save quite a bit if you did switch over completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

nick23 wrote: »
    Im with eircom at the moment (5 mb i think) and am thinking of changing to UPC due to this whole 3 strikes thing that eircom are bringing out.

My question is is it worth changing to UPC or will they in a few months end up being forced down the same road as Eircom with the 3 strikes?
    Secondly will I have to change my home phone (will I have to use UPC as my landline provider)? And is there anything else I should consider when thinking about changing over?
    UPC have said they would fight it, and in my opinion they have a strong case. There's still the possibility they will give in, but I doubt it judging by their comments. It's also the same judge who made ruled on the Eircom case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

It's also the same judge who made ruled on the Eircom case.
    Are you talking about the blocking of TPB or the 3 strikes thing. Because AFAIK the 3 strikes thing was part of an out of court settlement and not an actual court case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

I believe if UPC win their case then it will kill the 3 strikes rule completely and i would expect eircom and vodafone to drop it. They will just refer IRMA to the findings of the court. UPC will be doing them all a favour here as eircom didn't have the stomach or money for another court case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭nick23

Thanks for your help guys.

I actually rang UPC yesterday to get some info from them. The guy said that im not able to get UPC braodband in my area yet because the cables arent up to date so thats that out the window.

Secondly, I was talking to him about eircom's 3 strikes thing and he said that he heard that it might not be going through now or that it could just be put on hold again. Either way he said I'd be fine for the time being.

Just out of interest would you reccommend anyone apart from UPC for broadband? Wouldnt mind getting away from eircom if i can get a better deal somewhere else

Advertisement