Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetarian Diet Research Questionnaire

Options
  • 17-06-2010 6:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Dear All,

Thank you so much for all your food diary responses. The next step in
    this research involves completing a questionnaire, the link to which is
    given below. Your feedback will help me finalise my findings. I would be
    very grateful if you could take the time to fill it in.

http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/312495/Research-on-Vegetarian-diet

Best Regards,
    Vani

Comments

Sorry you these attitudes towards the end of the questionnaire, am I to answer them. According to how acceptable I think that they are as excuses not to be a vegetarian?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I started filling this out but it's just setting too many alarm bells off in my head. What results are you trying to achieve with this?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Lot's of the options/questions are lacking some sense, did it anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

most of the questions from 16 on are retarded

eg "40. People would (or do) think that I'm a wimp or not 'macho' enugh"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Absurdum wrote: »
    most of the questions from 16 on are retarded

eg "40. People would (or do) think that I'm a wimp or not 'macho' enugh"

There are still plenty of people outside the Pale who look suspiciously at vegetarians/vegans so this question may have some validity

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 VPR

Hi Guys,
    Part of my research involves associating following, with the nutritional status of vegetarian diet,
    1. the reasons for becoming a vegetarian (covered by questions 11 to 15)
    2. the barriers to becoming or staying a vegetarian (covered by questions 16 to 40 )
    3. the general attitude toward health (covered by questions 41 to 52)

Because of limited number of templates in SurveyGizmo and my limited knowledge of the formating option, I could not make the above categorisation obvious in previous presentation of questions, but I have now updated the description of the first question for each of the categories.

The questions on 'the barriers to becoming a vegetarian' were extracted from a previous research (by Kearny et al 1997) from European Journal of Clinical Nutrition. Though the questions might seem irrelevent and some of them of personal nature, those were found to be the actual reasons for people moving away from a vegetarian diet. I chose to include them in the survey, as they would help update, if there is a general attitude shift in that area and because the survey result that is available to me does not map to individual participant of the survey.

Hope this clears up some of your questions, concerns & doubts. But do fire away any further queries you may have and I will try to address them all.

Thanks again to all for this active participation and your time.

Best regards,
    Vani

I worry about my EPA and DHA intake.
    I worry that I'm starving my brain of vital nutrients, and I have no way to know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

Did it, nah the survey was fine it was what you'd expect.

16-40 was a bit confusing, I answered half of them from a third person perspective, i.e. the general barriers people find exist, & then realised, I think, that it was personal so I went back and did it like that. The macho question is really relevant because you get that from people sometimes, or rather a gaping jaw & then the usual barrage of questions/jokes :p

There's only one bad joke out of 52 ;)

The rest was honest :cool:

This wasn't really that personal or intrusive so if people are getting worried after taking this test they might want to study up on their diets & if seriously worried go to a doctor to be on the safe side :)

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Why do you need to know whether someone is employed and what they earn??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

I'm sure many veggies are like myself. I don't like the questions asked and so won't participate in the survey. I don't think that the number of people who participate through boards.ie would give you an even distribution of answers for the vegetarians of Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Nature Boy wrote: »

most likely to see if it's mainly 'rich' folk who are veggies as it's sometimes seen as one of those frivolous things middle class people tend towards.

Questions are all over the shop, some are aimed at people who are veggie while other sections seem more aimed at people who've thought about but for various reasons found they couldn't become/stay veggie...I found I couldn't answer enough of the questions as they just didn't apply to me so just didn't bother filling any of it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 VPR

Nature Boy wrote: »

I agree, this may look like its irrelevent, but these questions on the demographic status greatly influence the type of research that I am involved in and it seems to be the basic set of questions in all such previous research. And because the survey maintains the anonymity of the participant, it doesn't breach the privacy.

Advertisement