Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OLE! OLE!

• 17-06-2010 6:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭

[IMG][/img]e227b1e5.jpg

[IMG][/img]dee63338.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Its time to give the Anti France campaign a bit of rest at this stage we are starting to look more like English.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Fcuk That, Gwan Mexico!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

best laugh i had in ages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Dante

I hate that man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Depressingly bad, a lot of us were slagging Adrian Chiles for having the baseball bat before the USA England game, and then our lads do this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Didi does not look to happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Did that actually happen? I thought it was photoshopped. :D

Wish we would get over it. Jesus fcuking annoying at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Ah it looks pretty funny and at this stage as long as its light hearted what harm is it cheering on teams playing the team that knocked us out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

chirst above people..its only a bit of craic. RELAX.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

What's cringe though is the ad with ''our nemesis'' in it. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Some people need to get a sense of humor, I found it funny:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Didi looks like a serial killer in that pic..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Poor Didi, he didn't know what he was signing up to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Cannot wait for Apres match!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Ya have to feel sorry for France.

Not.

Haha, I'm loving this, I dont care If you think I'm being petty, honestly - couldnt give a flying banana. Lol France. And I hope Uruguay and Mexico playout a draw on purpose too just to see if the almighty FIFA would look into it. Ha. Brilliant.

/awaits sharks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

FearDark wrote: »
    Ya have to feel sorry for France.

Not.

Haha, I'm loving this, I dont care If you think I'm being petty, honestly - couldnt give a flying banana. Lol France. And I hope Uruguay and Mexico playout a draw on purpose too just to see if the almighty FIFA would look into it. Ha. Brilliant.

/awaits sharks.

There is nothing France could do, or Fifa for that matter. A draw for both teams would see them through so neither team need to go for it. for me that would be the best way for them to go out, cost me a lot of money to get to France, get a ticket, get put up and then get put out. Sauce for the goose etc etc :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Is that not photoshopped? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Uruguay and Mexico (<3) will probably send on fringe players most likely. Don't expect any hard tackles either. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Would LOVE to see Uruguay and Mexico put out a second side each and just pass the ball around the centre circle for 90 minutes, I would probarbly laugh for a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

I wouldn't be surprised if Mexico won, they would like to avoid Argentina in the next round and would much prefer Nigeria/Greece or South Korea but then 1-0 to Mexico would mean France having to beat South Africa by 4 and that doesn't look likely at this stage.
    The disappointing thing is that France are a shambles and the players and manager are a disgrace, the worst thing that happened to France was the Henry handball, because of the criticism towards Dominech and Henry, France imploded and good riddance to them, serious karma.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Gang of Gin

George Hamilton was stoking it right up with populist silliness. Ratty Holland was acting the puppet as well, (with his English accent).

The French thing with Ireland is a bit tired at this stage.

We're not there. The bandwagoning is an abdication of responsibility from the complete **** up we make out of most things, in most facets of our society.

Serious self criticism is required.

It's tantamount to schoolyard 'ganging up' - no real reason for it. Why are we so happy about the result? We should only really care about us.

The petty vengeance from a nation probably sums us up.

Businesses offering discounts if France go out? God.

Merit gets you to tournaments. Looking back for excuses gets you nothing. Draws against Italy and Bulgaria can be looked at, maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Its time to give the Anti France campaign a bit of rest at this stage we are starting to look more like English.
    No. I'm gonna milk it for all it's worth. Viva Mexico

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Mexico and Uruguay will be going for the win. I don't think either of them would relish facing Argentina in the next round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

George Hamilton was stoking it right up with populist silliness. Ratty Holland was acting the puppet as well, (with his English accent).

We're not there. The bandwagoning is an abdication of responsibility from the complete **** up we make out of most things, in most facets of our society.

It's tantamount to schoolyard 'ganging up' - no real reason for it. Why are we so happy about the result? We should only really care about us.

Merit gets you to tournaments. Looking back for excuses gets you nothing. Draws against Italy and Bulgaria can be looked at, maybe.
    You really need to get laid. Grow a set will you it's all just a laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

+1

We're happier as a nation not being there anyway, as evidenced by the predictable reaction from the knuckle dragging faction of this and other message boards. Nothing like an excuse to p*s and moan and feel sorry for ourselves to get the Irish all wound up.

Also imagine the outcry if England had been cheated out of the world cup and they behaved the way the Irish media has the past few months.

I was roaring for mexico tonight as I will roar against every french team or person in any sport for a long time to come!! It was quite enjoyable roaring abuse at the tv actually this evening. They are a disgrace of a team and don't deserve to be near the world cup.

I'm glad they keep bringing it up the fact we were cheated out of the world cup in commentary and analysis, long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

The jokes on Ireland anyway. All tonights result shows is how poor France are and how we should have finished them off with a second goal like Mexico did.
    flahavaj wrote: »
    Also imagine the outcry if England had been cheated out of the world cup and they behaved the way the Irish media has the past few months.

They did it after Euro 2004 and the 2006 World Cup. I couldn't stop laughing at them at the time. I didn't think we'd end up doing it ourselves.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Tbh all this craic with the french is funny. And if your sick of it dont get involved with it. Tho you will always have em.

Think about the publicity that the next Ireland v France game will get, all flash backs to that night. Get used to it as its gonna be their for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

At the end of the day, it shows you how poor we were if we couldn't beat that awful French team.

I'm glad they are out, not because of the Henry debacle but because they are awful to watch and Mexico are not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Benny Lava

Glad to see the French out.

Was the Apres Match good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

This is still the soccer forum right? Not the psychology forum or social studies forum?

Seriously people, get over yourselves. It's a bit of laugh. It's what football fans do. It's not a symptom of your perceived failings of Irish society or any other bull**** you care to conjure up. It's pantomime for FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Yeah I'd echo the same sentiments by most here in that it's just a laugh. People are taking themselves far too seriously on this one. Sure there's terrible things going on within the country now and their always will be. This isn't a bandwagon, it's what happens when rivalries occur in ALL sports.
    If some fighter I really like get beaten unfairly by a guy I always liked, then I will loose some respect for said fighter and want to see him beaten.
    United and Liverpool fans (in Ireland especially as they're the two main teams supported over here) want to see the other beaten or not doing well.
    Stop using this as a metaphor for the country's ills. It's football, not f**king parliament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

adox wrote: »
    This is still the soccer forum right? Not the psychology forum or social studies forum?

Seriously people, get over yourselves. It's a bit of laugh. It's what football fans do. It's not a symptom of your perceived failings of Irish society or any other bull**** you care to conjure up. It's pantomime for FFS.
    I am a football fan and I don't do it. What about Nox (Quote below) saying "as I will roar against every french team or person in any sport for a long time to come" Do you not find that sad? Its not just a football fan, its bordering on racism (Before everybody gets on their high horse I know its not calm down).
    Richy06 wrote: »
    United and Liverpool fans (in Ireland especially as they're the two main teams supported over here) want to see the other beaten or not doing well.
    Completly different, Liverpool and United fans hate each other cause they were rivals for a long time and both were trying to win the league and it stems from that. France going out does nothing for Ireland, in fact imagine they had of won it? How great would have been to say the World Champions had to beat us by cheating but nobody stopped shouting for a minute.
    I was roaring for mexico tonight as I will roar against every french team or person in any sport for a long time to come!! It was quite enjoyable roaring abuse at the tv actually this evening. They are a disgrace of a team and don't deserve to be near the world cup.

I'm glad they keep bringing it up the fact we were cheated out of the world cup in commentary and analysis, long may it continue.
    Its quite sad tbh. You can't complain about England bringing up 66 every 2 mins then if you want them to keep mentioning it. Actually why stop there why don't you stop using Bic pens, tell the wife to stop using L'Oreal and tell that Jean-Luc Picard fella that the starship can go down for all you care.
    R_H_C_P wrote: »
    Tbh all this craic with the french is funny. And if your sick of it dont get involved with it. Tho you will always have em.

I am trying to not get involved, but when I am trying to watch football and its Henry's handball every 2 mins how am I not meant to get involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Henry Winter on Twitter -
    Just had a call from a friend in Dublin. Everybody partying at #FRA defeat, everybody digging out old Mexican sombreros. Marvellous.

Why would the whole of Dublin have old sombreros lying about?! Leftovers from USA 94 maybe?

It is a little sad for some people to be taking so much pleasure in it but each to their own. Deserves a snigger but nothing more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Completly different, Liverpool and United fans hate each other cause they were rivals for a long time and both were trying to win the league and it stems from that. France going out does nothing for Ireland, in fact imagine they had of won it? How great would have been to say the World Champions had to beat us by cheating but nobody stopped shouting for a minute.
    Its quite sad tbh. You can't complain about England bringing up 66 every 2 mins then if you want them to keep mentioning it. Actually why stop there why don't you stop using Bic pens, tell the wife to stop using L'Oreal and tell that Jean-Luc Picard fella that the starship can go down for all you care.

I haven't taken great pleasure in it at all. I just found the boys in the studio wearing the sombreros to be funny. I'm not on some anti-France thing but it's not surprising to find people enjoying the fact that those who knocked us out of the qualifying for the tournament are having a very bad time of it at this years finals.

Also, Star Trek:The Next Generation stopped years ago and *psst* wasn't actually real. And Herbal Essences is much better.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Henry Winter on Twitter -

Why would the whole of Dublin have old sombreros lying about?! Leftovers from USA 94 maybe?

It is a little sad for some people to be taking so much pleasure in it but each to their own. Deserves a snigger but nothing more.

Kind of my point in a way. Not sure about that yellow card, my love. I think it was always Matt until a Y was added during Irish successes. What's a consonant 'tween boardsies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

flahavaj wrote: »

We're happier as a nation not being there anyway, as evidenced by the predictable reaction from the knuckle dragging faction of this and other message boards. Nothing like an excuse to p*s and moan and feel sorry for ourselves to get the Irish all wound up.
    I gotta say, I wasn't really arsed one way or another about the French (I was glad a new United signing scored), but I prefer the anti-French thing to the anti-Irish thing, tbh.
    It's all well and good (albeit rigorously self-righteous) finding the schadenfreude beneath you, but using it as an excuse to take a pop at society is ridiculous.

davyjose wrote: »
    I gotta say, I wasn't really arsed one way or another about the French (I was glad a new United signing scored), but I prefer the anti-French thing to the anti-Irish thing, tbh.
    It's all well and good (albeit rigorously self-righteous) finding the schadenfreude beneath you, but using it as an excuse to take a pop at society is ridiculous.

Fair enough on the societal 'pop', but to see self-righteous bias from analysts employed to offer opinions as 'it doesn't really matter if that goal was offside' is a bit galling. It kind of does matter to the impartial viewer. M Holland offered that insight before the last ball was kicked.

He could have at least remained a little less self-satisfied until the end. Somewhat unprofessional. Hamilton nearly creamed himself at the idea of a France defeat when Mexico scored the second.

I don't think I should reiterate my earlier posted sentiments for fear of a severe backlash. Whoever agrees, agrees..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

copied over from my post on the other thread:

Honestly I think it's a lot of bull. Fair enough Ireland got hard done by and Irish fans have every right to be pissy. But at the end of the day that's football the decision on the night has to stand otherwise you'd ruin the game. There's no point slatin FIFA over this simple fact. If anyone is to blame it's Thierry Henry and the French team since they dont even seem to care that much. But you may call Henry every name under the sun, if Keane had done it I'm sure a lot of people would say 'ah sure isn't he a cute whore?' And also that's just the way football has gone. Too much riding on it to be fair and honest about it.

Best to get over it now because eventually it will just make people look silly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭pavb2

I've spoken to people who are think that if Henry hadn't handled the ball then Ireland would have qualified for the WC.

Yes he cheated,yes it was the decisive goal but Ireland still needed to score to qualify.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

My view on things is, it's fun to cheer for a side in a match. I always cheer for Germany, for no important reason. It's funny to cheer against England. Nobody really takes it seriously, it's all a bit of fun. I did cheer for Uruguay and Mexico, and I will cheer for SA, but all light-heartedly. I don't really care if France win or England win or Germany lose. Since Ireland's not there, may as well cheer for someone.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Glad France are out cos I don't rate them as a side, but this sneering at them cos of what happened last November shows why Ireland will always be a
    small minded footballing nation.

You'd swear no Irish players have ever cheated. Is it ok for Irish defenders to foul attackers by pull their shirts at set pieces but it's not all right for a foreign side's attacker to cheat? :rolleyes:

Ireland only beat two sides in the qualification process of twelve games and one of those wins was over a Georgia side in Germany. A game played there at the request of the FAI while the Georgians were still burying their dead after their war with Rrussia. Shameful stuff. :mad:

And I don't recall any outcry about the FAI's underhandedness with that.

Advertisement