Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SKY Sports News goes subscription

• 17-06-2010 6:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Oh noes! (well for them with a basic pay digital package)

SSN is being pulled from free to view

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I've never had it for free, it not a free channell on sky.

Saturday(during the season) is the only day I'd miss it tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

FearDark wrote: »
    I've never had it for free, it not a free channell on sky.

It definitely was. I've watched it quite a bit on a box with no additional subscriptions over the basic package.

Pity, it provided excitement on transfer days etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Free to view is not the same as free to air, the former is where once you have paid for a package its availible, as on NTL for example. Anyway everyone will have to shell out one way or another from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Okay these things confuse me. I have a UPC box and don't pay for Sky Sports but still have Sky Sports News. Does this mean I'm going to lose it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,391 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

It definitely was. I've watched it quite a bit on a box with no additional subscriptions over the basic package.

Pity, it provided excitement on transfer days etc.

SSN has always been a pay channel on Sky. It's not part of the sports pack, but the news pack that comes with the basic pack AFAIK. That's why you have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

That's just freeview in the UK, on Sky Digital it's currently part of the News & Sports mix

DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    Okay these things confuse me. I have a UPC box and don't pay for Sky Sports but still have Sky Sports News. Does this mean I'm going to lose it?

Yep unless you pay extra for it.

The good news is that BBC Final Score behind the red button is bound to go big as they exploit a bigger audience. Does UPC have red button these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

You pay extra for the News pack €2 a month (most have the basic 6 mixes of which news & sports is one)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Fcukers :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Same sh1t every 15 mins anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Sky Sports News has always required a subscription in this country. It is part of the News & Events package since day one and has recently also been included on the Sky Sports package.

This move will affect Digital Terrestrial viewers in the United Kingdom only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

mike65 wrote: »
    Yep unless you pay extra for it.

The good news is that BBC Final Score behind the red button is bound to go big as they exploit a bigger audience. Does UPC have red button these days?

:pac:

Good one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Is anything sacred these days?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

As an aside, I look forward to the Sky Sports News HD channel. should make the graphics look better.

byte wrote: »
    As an aside, I look forward to the Sky Sports News HD channel. should make the graphics look better.

A widescreen image is more important to me. It might make the video screen that bit bigger.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    A widescreen image is more important to me. It might make the video screen that bit bigger.
    Yes that too, along with HD, will give a lot more room for text and video. Sky News HD looks quite good in that regard (content aside).

As was mentioned on DS, SSN acts as a 24 hr advert for Sky Sports so putting behind a wall seems foolish

Wouldn't bother me even if they put it in the skysports subscription as I dont plan on being without sky sports anytime soon. Sure half the reason to have sky at all is for the sports channels.

As an aside I watch far too much skysports news, its my ritual in the morning eating brekkie and nearly all day Saturday. I even sit watching it in the evening if nothing else is on, though I dont do it as much as I used to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

byte wrote: »
    Yeah the fit birds will look even better

georgie-thompson1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Esse85 wrote: »
    Yeah the fit birds will look even better

georgie-thompson1.jpg

Or not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Benny Lava

A few years ago, this would have been a disaster for me.

However, with footytube it doesn't really matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

It's purely Soccer Saturday that i'd miss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Sky Sports News has always required a subscription in this country. It is part of the News & Events package since day one and has recently also been included on the Sky Sports package.

This move will affect Digital Terrestrial viewers in the United Kingdom only.

Correct ,it makes absolutely no difference to satellite or cable viewers .
    It is a pay channel on satellite and cable and always has been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Chorus/NTL digital is cable based and it is freeview on the basic package there.

Richy06 wrote: »
    Chorus/NTL digital is cable based and it is freeview on the basic package there.

It's not free if you have to pay to see it. Basic package is not free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Yes, but I think what most people were getting at is they regard it as free as it comes with the basic package.

Advertisement