Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can I request a smart meter?

• 17-06-2010 6:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I would like to organise for a smart meter to be installed. I have one of the new digital meters, but I would like the ability to record usage in an effort to reduce total consumption.

How would I go about applying for one of these?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭ESB CS: Chris

Hi Jumpy,

The smart meter trial we are running at the moment is currently full.

I appreciate you would like to track you energy usage, this is one of the reasons that I want one myself. As part of our trial we have installed in-home displays for some participants as part of a customer behaviour study to see how this would work for our customers.

To give you an idea of our progress with the roll out of smart meters, this is what is currently happening in our trial:

In 2009, we installed over 6,000 meters throughout the country. The trial began in Janurary 2010 and will run throughout this year.

This will determine the best technology option for us to rollout to all our customers.

There is some more information about our Smart Meter rollout here.

While I cannot arrange for a Smart meter to be installed for you at the moment, this trial will help us ensure that the right technology is used and the roll out to all our customers will happen as smoothly as possible. The target is to roll out smart meters to all domestic customers by 2014.

If we require any more participants in our trial or any other chance to have a smart meter installed, I will post to this forum to let you know.

Thanks for your interest

Chris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,561 ✭✭✭Heroditas

The target is to roll out smart meters to all domestic customers by 2014.

You might want to tell the guys in Networks that date Chris because the CER/Networks are looking at 2017 or 2019 as a possible date!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Heroditas wrote: »
    You might want to tell the guys in Networks that date Chris because the CER/Networks are looking at 2017 or 2019 as a possible date!

But the ESB network sire says "The target is to roll out smart meters to all domestic customers by 2014." at the link posted earlier in this thread...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,561 ✭✭✭Heroditas

But the ESB network sire says "The target is to roll out smart meters to all domestic customers by 2014." at the link posted earlier in this thread...

Customer Supply have nothing to do with the rollout.
    Networks will be dealing with that, and the official update report released by the CER last week states that it certainly won't be 2014 for the rollout

I don't know why they have 2014 on the website because it's completely at odds with what the ESB guys who are in charge of the Smart Meter trial have said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

I wonder could these be sold to consumers:

http://www.currentcost.com/product-optismart.html

much safer as they use optical detection rather than hard wiring...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Thanks Dardania,

We appreciate you posting the link. Having tested this technology, we found that such optical readers would work very well with digital meters with LED pulses (as the link itself also indicates), but used in conjunction with mechanical meters (i.e. meters with a rotating disc) they prove to be inaccurate.

The vast majority of Irish homes today have mechanical meters installed, so most customers would find this kind of energy monitor unsuitable. However, future developments may see this change.

Regards,

David.

I agree it's not suitable for those with electromechanical meters, but I'm glad to hear that the modern meters being fitted support such optical technology.

If one were to request an upgrade to day/night metering, would ESB Networks by default nowadays supply a digital type meter?

Hi Dardania,

It's a good question, but unfortunately only ESB Networks themselves would be able to confirm whether or not that's the case. I would recommend you contact them via email and enquire. (See here for their full contact details)

Hope this helps,

David.

Hi Dardania,

It's a good question, but unfortunately only ESB Networks themselves would be able to confirm whether or not that's the case. I would recommend you contact them via email and enquire. (See here for their full contact details)

Hope this helps,

David.

Email sent - let's see what they say!

And they replied:
    Good Morning

Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately we are unable to assist you with your query. Please contact your electricity supplier directly. If this is ESB Electric Ireland please redirect your email to service@esbelectricireland.ie. Finally I can confirm that not all of the meters installed presently are electronic.

Please contact me again if I can be of further assistance.

Kind regards

Hmmmmm.... I replied:
    Many thanks for your reply.

I believe that my query would be directed at yourselves rather than an electricity supplier, as ESB Networks are Meter Operator for Ireland, as per: http://www.esb.ie/esbnetworks/en/about-us/index.jsp

Would you be able to investigate this issue further? I am aware that there are a mix of electromechanical & electronic meters installed presently, however my query relates to meters being installed in future.

Regards,

• Advertisement

So, they replied, looking for my MPRN to determine what meter I had, and what the local office would do. I sent my MPRN, and the response was:
    Thank you for your email.

I am writing to advise that I have just spoken to the metering supervisor in your area. He has advised me that depending on the meter in your premises that the existing digital meter may just have to be reprogrammed to day or night or they would install a new digital meter for the same purpose - day and night recording.

I trust this is to your satisfaction and if you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards

So, from what I infer from the above, if you apply for day/night metering, you can get the digital type meter. And this digital type meter shoudl work with the current cost optical device. Smart metering has arrived (kinda) for the non trial group masses....

Glad to hear your query was resolved Dardania - good news from the looks of it. :)

Advertisement