Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant eligibility question (probably a no-go, but please respond).

Options
  • 17-06-2010 6:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭

Hey all,

I have a degree and a masters qualification. I am aware that I would not be eligible to get a grant for a second masters course. However, I would be eligible to get a grant if I pursued a PhD.

The question I'm asking is ... would it be possible for me to get a grant for a PhD, then after a year or two to turn that PhD into a masters qualification? Basically I'm checking if there's a sneaky way to get a grant for a second masters! :D

I'm aware though that there may be various costs and stuff involved though, and I'd imagine it wouldn't work out. I'm a fed up unemployed graduate, and I'd be so much happier if they would just give me a grant for another masters. They'll be giving me thousands more if I remain on the dole for the year. I'd be saving them money! :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

You might also be an unemployed graduate 12 months down the line with two Masters...

In answer to your Q, unless you are going down the structured PhD route, the content of Year 1 PhD will be miles off a taught Masters. It would be easier to scale a PhD back to an MRes (I know people who have done it, but it's at the discretion of your Department). Even then an MRes can often take two years rather than one.

Would it work? Maybe. So many variables! I suspect your supervisor would catch you out before anyone else though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭ToasterSparks

Haha, thank you. :)

I suppose it is more curiosity than anything else. Don't worry, I'm fully aware that another Masters is not a solution to being unemployed, but I'm going crazy doing nothing and anything I could do would be better than nothing! I've used up my 'free education' years so I guess I'll have to keep searching for that elusive job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Haha, thank you. :)

I suppose it is more curiosity than anything else. Don't worry, I'm fully aware that another Masters is not a solution to being unemployed, but I'm going crazy doing nothing and anything I could do would be better than nothing! I've used up my 'free education' years so I guess I'll have to keep searching for that elusive job.

I know the feeling believe me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 natterer

OK, but what about this scenario. Suppose you go for a PhD track, which means that you would be registered as an MLitt student in the first year, and then transferred to a PhD (subject to satisfactory progress). A number of universities has this policy; for example, in DCU when you don't have a master by research you would be considered for a PhD track.

So let's suppose you already have a taught master and had a higher education grant for it. Since you are on a PhD track, but registered on MLitt (and MLitt and MSc are on the same level), would you be eligible for the grand this time?

Advertisement