Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent help for DCG please!

Options
  • 17-06-2010 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi!
    I'm so screwed for tomorrow's DCG exam...

I just looked through the books and I don't know how to do anything! I don't even know how to do dihedral angles or scew lines or anything...!

Can someone please tell me what I should study please? I'm doing higher (I wish I can drop...)

THANK YOU!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

In the same boat as you. Should have changed subject day 1! I've just gone over assemblies and dynamic mechanisms from 2009s papers. They have to come up in section C. Gonna look at cams now and look through solids in contact, interpenetration, perspective and these skew line yokes.

Have my JC book (Got no DCG leaving book) I just wanna pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

Definitely learn is planes and skew lines including how to find the dihedral angle as well as true lenghts.this is probably the easiest question on the paper.do the road and mining question as well,it uses many of the same ideas as planes and skew lines.I managed to get an A1 last year knowing this and not much else!and I forgot solids in contact too!Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

Conor108 wrote: »
    Gonna look at cams now and look through solids in contact, interpenetration, perspective and these skew line yokes.
    Tomorrow don't do the interpenetrations question untill last and avoid it if you can at all.although there isn't much theory in it,it's mainly visualisation,it takes a long time to do and there are an awful lot of marks going for the small details,hidden lines etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

i'm screwed too.. relying on the fact that my project went ok to actually pass... worst choice ever to pick thise subject.. i don't know anything bar skew lines... worst thing is you can't even practice at home unless you have the big pages... trying to do the questions on a4 pages scaled down but then it's just too small and what's supposed to be a straight line after moving it 4 or 5 times or whatever ends up being as crooked as sin so you dunno whether your right or wrong or anything...

i'm gonna do the skew lines question and the map question.. attempt a touching cyclinders and cones question and then i'll probably leave after drawing out the given plan and elevations of the other questions that have to be attempted.. because i haven't a notion how to even attempt them

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭zeroonetwothree

Thank you very much!

I'll just quickly skim through the book for section A, and how about section B, which should I study?
    For section C my class is doing dynamic mech and the maps...

I hope I at least pass! I did so bad in the leaving...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭i like lamp

whats dcg??

never heard of it

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

Could someone briefly run through skew lines with me, I can't feckin remember what they are..!

i like lamp, its design & communication graphic! The new shnazzy name for technical graphics:D

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Fete

Problem is its hard to explain over the forum. For skew lines if this can help you remember at all, one method involves drawing another line from one line which is parallel to the second line. Then rule a straight line across to make it form a triangle.
    Not a good explanation but it might jog your memory. I can somehow remember skew lines from when I did dcg last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

That actually kinda-made sense:P...cheers!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Fete

ajjmk wrote: »
    That actually kinda-made sense:P...cheers!:D
    It should be in your book anyway :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭zeroonetwothree

Skew lines is all f*cking lines...
    ugh, don't understand this crap

@johnmcdnl
    Lol yeah I'm relying on my project too... If I get at least 10% then I should pass.

F*cking impossible subject...
    I envy those who find it easy/like it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭tomtom101

I dont think its the worst subject - but i'v always just kept up with wat we did in class!!!

Well lyk, d section C is easy - you actually know whats coming up before u go in!! N Jest learn 4 of the sections outta the first book and u should have 2 questions in the section B!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭i like lamp

ajjmk wrote: »
    i like lamp, its design & communication graphic! The new shnazzy name for technical graphics:D

oh fancy fancy!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Lads do you guys have a book for DCG?? Jealous to the max

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

Conor108 wrote: »
    Lads do you guys have a book for DCG?? Jealous to the max

I got 2 books by David Anderson.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ThePower180

JerCotter7 wrote: »
    I got 2 books by David Anderson.

Ya I have them books aswell!... They are good enought now to be honest!..

Not looking forward to tomorrow. I hope axonometric comes up because I cant understand the interpenitration question at all and I'm alright with the planes question. Road Geometry isn't that bad, even if you don't understand the part (a) to the question the part (b) is usually the same as the sample papers and fairly straight forward so you would be able to pick up a few marks!..

I hoping its a nice paper and the short questions aren't too difficult!.. I definitely think that either axonometric or perspective will be on the Section B along with the planes question!

Best of luck lads and remember time is against you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

time won't be an issue for me i don't think because i haven't a notion how to do traces how to do interpretation how to do short question how to do basically anything tbh...

just gonna say the prayers tonight and tomorrow morning and hope i pass

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    time won't be an issue for me i don't think because i haven't a notion how to do traces how to do interpretation how to do short question how to do basically anything tbh...

just gonna say the prayers tonight and tomorrow morning and hope i pass

Even if your not great at interpenitration, draw the given views correctly and make any sort of go at it and you should get at least half marks for it!...

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭stevenfinnegan

I presume that masking tape will be supplied tomorrow?

I doubt it!.. I would bring your own just in case but I could be wrong!?

• Advertisement

I doubt it!.. I would bring your own just in case but I could be wrong!?
    It better be!
    How much did we pay for these exams again? In excess of €100 anyway. :rolleyes:

It better be!
    How much did we pay for these exams again? In excess of €100 anyway. :rolleyes:

Ah your dead right there! Will we have to mark out the border on the page?

Ehh....I think so.
    I think we had to for the Junior Cert anyway.

Ehh....I think so.
    I think we had to for the Junior Cert anyway.

Ah il try and do it on all the sheets before the exam starts!..

Ah il try and do it on all the sheets before the exam starts!..
    Good idea actually!
    I'm gonna do that whilst there giving out the exams (considering it takes them ages to hand them out in my exam hall :rolleyes:)
    I doubt they'll have a problem with it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

no need its not in the marking scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

:eek: hardly.

Hmmm......just realised I've no masking tape :eek:
    Sure sellotape will do the job :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

I'm almost certain that in the booklet for the candidates it says that you have to provide your own masking tape/clips for DCG.

And I didn't put any borders on my Junior Cert. and got an A so don't waste your time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Lads, there's no need to draw the border, just make sure you clearly label what question your doing and only use one side of the sheet. Best of luck to everyone today, hopefully well all back here this evening talking about how easy it was :D

Advertisement