Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consumer rights in scotland/uk

Options
  • 17-06-2010 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭

hi

I'm just wondering, are consumer rights consumer rights no matter where you are in the world?

The bro was in London (I think) and stayed at a hotel. By any standards the whole trip was unbelievably bad and I'm writing a complaint letter

I've just been reading this, but sounds like it was written in USA http://www.happynews.com/living/money/consumer-rights-hotels.htm

Can I quote from it?

Does hotel room fit in under supply of goods, etc.. ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

peanuthead wrote: »
    Does hotel room fit in under supply of goods, etc.. ?

Yep, it will fit under supply of services - governed by UK 1982 Act

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

hi

I'm just wondering, are consumer rights consumer rights no matter where you are in the world?

No, there are different laws in different countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

hi

?

Your consumer rights are differerent between countries, however, most laws are the same between England and ROI and so you should be able to apply the principles of ROI law.

London is in England, not Scotland, which does actually make a difference as the laws in Scotland are very different to ROI, England and Wales

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I complained recently about a hotel in Birmingham, the response was from the head office of the hotel group in Texas. I wasnt quoting any laws to them and I didnt need to, they took my complaint seriously and refunded quite a substantial portion of the cost of my stay. But I would think UK consumer law will cover you if the hotel is in the UK, and their laws are pretty robust, and should cover the purchase of accomodation.

But simply make the complaint first and see how you get on. Hopefully the hotel is part of a chain, where things like this tend to be handled well.

Dont forget to put a review on tripadvisor while you are at it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

jahalpin wrote: »
    Your consumer rights are differerent between countries, however, most laws are the same between England and ROI and so you should be able to apply the principles of ROI law.

London is in England, not Scotland, which does actually make a difference as the laws in Scotland are very different to ROI, England and Wales

Oh yeah, sorry I know London is in england. I'm actually handling this complaint on behalf of my bro, who lives in scotland and at first I thought the hotel was there, he then later told me it was in london
    Oryx wrote: »
    I complained recently about a hotel in Birmingham, the response was from the head office of the hotel group in Texas. I wasnt quoting any laws to them and I didnt need to, they took my complaint seriously and refunded quite a substantial portion of the cost of my stay. But I would think UK consumer law will cover you if the hotel is in the UK, and their laws are pretty robust, and should cover the purchase of accomodation.

But simply make the complaint first and see how you get on. Hopefully the hotel is part of a chain, where things like this tend to be handled well.

Dont forget to put a review on tripadvisor while you are at it. :)

Oh absolutely, I will definitely be posting on tripadvisor

• Advertisement
Advertisement