Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kitchen tiles any info???

• 17-06-2010 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I have black matt tiles on my kitchen floor and they are a nightmare to try and keep clean....everything shows up on them. Am trying to save a bit of money and was wondering if anyone knows if there is anything i can put on the tiles to make them glossy looking (i dont want to change the colour but would prefer if they were a bit shinier!). Also wondering if it is a big (i.e. fairly costly) job to get someone to take up tiles and have them relaced?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

The short answer is yes - there are a number of posihes and sealants avilable to do this in any tile or DIY store.
    The cheap answer is Apple Cider Vinegar, about a cupful per gallon of water and apply with a mop as per washing the floor.
    The expensive answer is getting it retiled, particularly if you want the tiler to remove the old tiles first. It's a horrible job!! Obviously it depends on the size of the area but to do both job in an average house there wouldn't be much change from €500. Impossible to say without seeing it of course.

If you do any of the DIY options be sure to colour test the tiles first, either on a piece of scrap tile or in a 'hidden' corner or section. Some, even black, will stain or darken with the application of any liquid treatment.
    Don't overpolish the tiles either as sometimes they can become quite slippy when wet if you do.
    Have Fun!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

You will not make a matt tile look shinny. The matt look is built into the tile and it cannot be polished to a buff. Sorry.

However anyone is free to contest this.

The best solution is to have a tiler look at your floor and see if its worth sealing which will make it easier to clean.

either that or take them up and start again...however imho matt tiles are easier to keep than polished tiles.

Advertisement