Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Showers after training?...

• 17-06-2010 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Just to start a bit of banter off,

The majority of clubs i've trained in don't seem to have showers...
    and those that do the lads don't seem to use them which i don't understand...
    Has anyone else noticed this problem?
    Do people prefer to shower at home?
    I feel mankey if i don't shower...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭MaeveD

When I was training before we got our own school, I usually showered at home because the showers in most places were disgustingly filthy! I remember one gym where there were hundreds of silverfish in the ladies changing room and the shower curtains stank of pee, another school had a stagnant pool of water in the shower room :mad:

I'd say half of our members shower at home even though we have a very clean shower room.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Bres

some gyms can be pretty awfull alright,
    but i think it is pretty important to shower straight after training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

If im going home straight after training ill shower at home.
    If im going somewhere else after training ill use the showers.
    Thats how I roll :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

i prefer to get home as quick as possible and shower then, most training finishes reasonably late so starting to shower an all then is a pain in the hole to be honest...

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭colinlaird000

I reckon all clubs would have showers if BJJ / Thai / MMA were olympic "recognised" sports and had proper government funding.. I used to have to travel 12 miles from the club home, and by that time, my muscles were in knots! Maybe thats just my age :p

So yes, showers at clubs are a good idea. However, clubs who do have them need to be aware of the health & safety implications. ie Legionella risk assessments etc, as a shower can sit manky and unmaintained for some time and build up all sorts of nasties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I don't mind not having showers, because I generally go straight home.

But on the other hand it takes 15 minutes to get home and the combination of leather seats and a sweaty back is very unpleasant...

Actually I suspect some folks pay good money for that kind of setup, but not me thanks!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Our dojang does not have showers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭juijitsu black

LOL, most people have to get home to the girlfriend or nagger.... i mean wife:p When I was up in derry I showered in the leisure centre after training but just wait till I get home now since I been in cork. But not for long.... YIPPY:eek: Movin back up in 3 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭youllneverknow

sure its only abit of sweat yell be grand untill you get home to shower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

sure its only abit of sweat yell be grand untill you get home to shower.

Don't look at this link if your 1/2 way through your corn flakes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

Devastator wrote: »

As lovely as those images are I think you're missing the point. A Staph infection isn't caused by not showering immediately after training. It's caused when the bacteria enters the body through a cut or ingestion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Shazbot wrote: »
    As lovely as those images are I think you're missing the point. A Staph infection isn't caused by not showering immediately after training. It's caused when the bacteria enters the body through a cut or ingestion.

still not hurt to make sure your clean, avoid any risk

sure its only a bit of sweat yell be grand untill you get home to shower.

If it's only a bit of sweat, you didn't work hard enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭youllneverknow

i work very hard excuse you

You could get a cut that you might not feel or even see that can lead to infection... It's just crap that it's next to impossable to find a facility with showers and is it too much to ask that there isn't the works of a small vegatable patch occupying the majority me the ones that do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Been honest you probably have as much chance of getting infection from the communal showers-i prefer to shower in my home shower which is only used by my family. :)

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

well i reckon the biggest issue with the showers in gyms is athletes foot, but this is handily avoided by wearing flip flops... alot of place wont let you in the shower without them...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Bres wrote: »
    It's just crap that it's next to impossable to find a facility with showers and is it too much to ask that there isn't the works of a small vegatable patch occupying the majority me the ones that do?
    1) Showers are expensive
    2) MMA Gyms are not wealthy

I know some places have them, but for us if it's a choice between new pads and a shower then we make a decision on what will help the gym the most- the pads.

Here's a summer solution- take one big bucket of water, walk outside, empty over head, scrub, repeat.

Advertisement