Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desire from CPW,box previously opened.Return it?

Options
  • 17-06-2010 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

Just picked up a Desire from Carphonewarehouse and realised the box had been previously opened.

The paper sealing sticker on the outside was cut and the interior box was torn and patched with sellotape.

The phone seems ok after a quick visual inspection, no scratches, but there was some dust and a hair under the plastic film around the phone.

Should I hang on to it or return it tomorrow morning?

Anyone know any tests or firmware logs that will tell me if it's been used much, if it has been used?

cheers.

€399 with an O2 sim, no external branding btw.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,238 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Give it back, it's a used phone, could have been returned by someone else, could have a fault and they may not exchange it for you and demand you send it back for repair instead of exchanging it for you.

Better be safe than sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Nah, it may have been previously opened and looked at. But never sold. When I worked in a phone shop, the channels I went through demanded that if a phone was returned then it must go back for inspection. Carphone Warehouse may work differently but in our case we used to open phones to get a look at them or show them to customers. Much like you would test drive a new car before you would drive it.

I know the people on high horses would disagree with opening a phone before it is sold but I would be ashamed of selling a pig in the bag to any customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

How do you prove you didn't open it....?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭seeing_ie

The accessories appear to be sealed in their bags, but that doesn't mean the phone is brand new.

I suppose I can't prove I didn't open it, I'll be looking for a straight swap though, so I'll be getting no benefit, just inconvenienced.

I'm tending to agree with drunkmonkey tbh.

Maybe I should ask in the android forum for a firmware log that'll prove whether it's been used much.

e2a: that's fair enough Bob, but I paid for a new phone, not a display model.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

On the other side of the coin, say you went in to buy a desire and said you wanted to see it first and was told "sorry the box is sealed, and if you don't buy it I can't sell an opened phone" not all shops have demos of all phones so it does happen.

Cpw won't return an opened phone unless it's faulty, and at the moment you can't prove you didn't open it. The time to notice that it was opened was before you left the shop. I'd say the phone itself is fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭seeing_ie

On the other side of the coin, say you went in to buy a desire and said you wanted to see it first and was told "sorry the box is sealed, and if you don't buy it I can't sell an opened phone" not all shops have demos of all phones so it does happen.

Not the customer's problem imo. The shop should sell new, sealed phones I would have thought.
    The time to notice that it was opened was before you left the shop. I'd say the phone itself is fine.

Yes, I should have noticed the white sealing sticker on the all-white box was cut. Stupid of me to expect a brand new phone from a reputable retailer.

Decided to hang on to it on balance, I'd appreciate any info on known issues anyone else has returned them for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

seeing_ie wrote: »
    Not the customer's problem imo. The shop should sell new, sealed phones I would have thought.

Yes, I should have noticed the white sealing sticker on the all-white box was cut. Stupid of me to expect a brand new phone from a reputable retailer.

Decided to hang on to it on balance, I'd appreciate any info on known issues anyone else has returned them for.

You would be mad not to return it. I would return it for the reason drunkmonkey said and on principal- the cheek of them to give you that phone when you paid full price.

If they need to open a phone to show people to help them sell it, thats their business, they should have explained that it was opened but not used etc and offered you a small discount on it, or the a brand new one at full price.

Go back, they won't look for proof you didn't open it, especially with the inner box being taped etc...they will know full well it was one they opened.

Advertisement