Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help

Options
  • 17-06-2010 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey guys, just wonderin if its possible to switch courses to a different department in ul after failing my first year exams and if so can you transfer to a course that you didnt meet the cao requirements to get into it. Tanx for your help guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 16knives

I feel your pain UL19, I was in the same situation as you many years ago. Unfortunately, I don't think you will be able to get into a course if you don't have the CAO requirements. I recommend you email the head of the department for the course to confirm this though. I also recommend you go for a course that requires less points, since you failed your first year (I went from Engineering to Computer Systems). Keep in mind that you will not receive any grant, and you will have to pay all your fees yourself. Its tough going, but if you can scrape the money together somehow its definitely worth it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

id say speak to your advisor first about this and just see can he/she do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭TwilightFan88

Hey! I changed from one course to another and it was different departments as well!!

First i didnt even sit the second set of exams (summer ones) either!

There is normally TWO conditions -

One - your within 50 points of the CAO points for the NEW course.
    AND
    Two - your QCA is above 2.00

I only had the 50 points aspect and I got the transfer! that was two years ago! (however I had a breavement reason for the not sitting the exams in the second half of year)

Also I was coming from a higher CAO points course to a lower course points wise!

Hope that helps!!

Advertisement