Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beware: thai 10baht coin everywhere

• 17-06-2010 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭

Hi im just telling anyone out there to be cautious of their €2 coins in change as they might be the 10baht coin which is only worth €0.20c

In my case me & Fiancé getting stung twice in the last 2weeks 2 different shops when we went back they said didnt get it off them...
    Its a disgrace... So im urging everyone to be vigilant & watch those 10bht coins they seem to be everywhere Now :mad:.Have a look at this Link for images
    http://ambrand.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/thaieuro.png

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I got one of these in my change a while back - they really are quite like the €2 coin.

They could pass through your hands quite easily without even noticing - so I wouldn't really be blaming shop staff for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I've been getting Singapore Dollars (worth around €1.70), instead of 20c coins.

When I've collected a suitcase full, I'm off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I've been getting Singapore Dollars (worth around €1.70), instead of 20c coins.

When I've collected a suitcase full, I'm off.

Wow, point me to who gave you that exchange rate. They are only worth 74 cent today..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Wow, point me to who gave you that exchange rate. They are only worth 74 cent today..

Sh1t! Wrong way round, (€1= 1.71 SGD) I'll have to fill even more suitcases now:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

I got stung at the Docklands Maritime Festival.....going to be more careful about checking my change in future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

I hope the 10 baht coin can't be used as a two euro coin in vending machines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

also watch out for the turkish 50 kuru (1/2 lira) coin, worth about 26c

turkey_50_turkish_kurus_2009.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13 nekdel

macshadow wrote: »
    I hope the 10 baht coin can't be used as a two euro coin in vending machines.

yeah they can be. i know they can defo be used in fag machines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

nekdel wrote: »
    yeah they can be. i know they can defo be used in fag machines.
    I dont think so man . . . unless its 1 of those aincent fag machines

Im living in carlow town & their must be some1 with a couple of hundred of them, coz the girl in supermacs tried to flog me 1 today but i copped it straight away...
    In fairness to her she was none the wiser to those 10bt coins, But she then informed the Manager,
    Im ****in pissed off now doh.. i think the media newspapers,radio, Gardai, or which ever source- need to get wind of this situation.. Before the country becomes a wash with those coins. Maybe im being a bit too dramitic (time will tell)
    Fruadsters just get greedy if they dont get caught.... & thats what appears to be happening....
    From my experience shops will accidently on purpose hand you back 10bt coins in change. but are very quick to spot it if you hand it back to them...
    Id feel sorry for OAP's if they get stung :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭jmbkay

I was given one in Tesco last week. Didn't notice until I tried to spend it in the local Spar the next day and the assistant copped it and wouldn't take it. So I just went to another Spar and bought a magazine with it and got change!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Yeah I've got caught with a couple of these before. But its been fairly easy to just pay for something with a ream of €2's to offload them.

I hate having to burden someone else with the bloody things but no way in hell am I the one losing out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭antocann

these coins weigh exactly the same as a 2euro coin so more than likely vending machines will take them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭Polar101

I've gotten some of them in change.. but I figured since the shopkeeper took them in the first time, she'll do it the second time as well.

antocann wrote: »
    these coins weigh exactly the same as a 2euro coin so more than likely vending machines will take them

I doubt it. I've no experience with these coins, but surely if that were the case, people would be just going to the bank/credit union/whatever, and getting a load of these for a couple of euro, and buying out of vending machines everywhere (thus saving themselves a fortune)?

There'd be nothing to stop you from just throwing bucket loads of them into those coin machines and robbing the shop.

Would love to hear if someone has tried them in a vending machine though. If they do work, I'm off to get me some of them!

have weighed the coins and there exactly the same

oh and theres also 10francs noking about as euros

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I doubt it. I've no experience with these coins, but surely if that were the case, people would be just going to the bank/credit union/whatever, and getting a load of these for a couple of euro, and buying out of vending machines everywhere (thus saving themselves a fortune)?

Don't foreign exchange only do notes, not coins?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They have a different electromagnetic signature to the real 2 euro coin so they won't work in any decent vending machines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Haddockman wrote: »
    They have a different electromagnetic signature to the real 2 euro coin so they won't work in any decent vending machines.

Yep, its not a new problem at all. In fact its not a problem at all with vending machines. As Haddockman said, most decent vending machines know the difference, and nearly all vending machines are of quality enough to know this difference, so its not really worth trying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

when the irish was passing off the old 5p as a german DMark we all thought is was hilarious

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

The €2 is slightly thinner

Advertisement