Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What happens if Uruguay and Mexico play out a draw on purpose?

• 17-06-2010 9:26pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭

I mean If they literally kick the ball to eachother around the centre circle for 90 minutes? They dont have to play for the win, do they? Or... knowing FIFA's track record will probarbly kick them out and let France win the group :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Nothing.

For reference check out Germany versus Austria in 1974, or Argentina versus Peru in 1978.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,620 ✭✭✭✭CSF

France get knocked out.

No but seriously, its almost a given there'll be an agreement made, France are out.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Everyone will laugh at France

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

What about FIFA's track record would let France win the group?

Sure remember in 2004 when Denmark and Sweden played out a draw to both go through at the expense of Italy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Fifa will throw them both out of the tournament, with France and Ireland taking their place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Unlikely. Don't the runners up in this group play Argentina?

I know I'd be trying to win and avoid Messi & Co.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Nothing. Well nothing bad anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I seem to remember Denmark and Sweden drawing (Euro 2004?) and towards the end the goalkeepers were literally just kicking the ball from one end to the other. Cassano had scored for Italy in the other game and was told when celebrating with the bench that it didn't matter, if I remember rightly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I really doubt they will.The runners up play Argentina, pretty much guarantee that they'd rather not play them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,620 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I'd say Mexico will only go for it if it becomes obvious that France aren't going to get the amount of goals required for the turnaround.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

I would absolutely love it if Uruguay and Mexico sat around making daisy chains in the centre circle for 90 minutes.

However, I'm not sure Mexico would fancy playing Argentina when a win could line them up against either S. Korea or Greece (which would give them an excellent shot at the quarter finals), so until Uruguay go a goal up I would expect to see them play for the win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

At 1-1 didn't Ireland and Hollond play ' tap tap to me , tap tap back to you ' for the last few minutes of the Euro 88 match ?

The odds on a draw are 4/5 already. They will steadily fall I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Latchy wrote: »
    At 1-1 didn't Ireland and Hollond play ' tap tap to me , tap tap back to you ' for the last few minutes of the Euro 88 match ?

Italia 90 I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭deisedude

Latchy wrote: »

Apparently the ref said to Mick McCarthy at one stage that they should start playing football. To which Mick replied something along the lines of "This is the most football we have played in years":D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Italia 90 I think.

Ah right knew it was one or the other .

It was 1-0 in 88 to Hollond with Kieft (81) scoring that deflected winner past Bonner
    deisedude wrote: »
    Apparently the ref said to Mick McCarthy at one stage that they should start playing football. To which Mick replied something along the lines of "This is the most football we have played in years":D
    And he wasn't kidding :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Nothing.

For reference check out Germany versus Austria in 1974, or Argentina versus Peru in 1978.

Germany-Austria was Spain 82!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Wont happen, both sides will look to avoid argentina

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I imagine Uruguay will play for the draw and Mexico will try and score to avoid Argentina. Should be a dreadful speactacle in any case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

No on will be getting rich by betting on a draw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

i would most certainly imagine that with blatter reffing this game he will ensure that they'll probably play one touch shot with only one side having a keeper

I imagine Uruguay will play for the draw and Mexico will try and score to avoid Argentina. Should be a dreadful speactacle in any case.

Still feel that this Argentina team is being given a wee bit too much respect! Mexico took them to extra-time four years ago, and Uruguay are very familiar with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

They will put in a French Ref and he will send off 5 from each side and so voiding the result, which means if France won by loads they would im through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Still feel that this Argentina team is being given a wee bit too much respect! Mexico took them to extra-time four years ago, and Uruguay are very familiar with them!

Uruguay lost to them twice in qualification.I'm pretty sure any team too would rather play South Korea/Nigeria/Greece instead of Argentina.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Germany-Austria was Spain 82!

With a German commentator sacked for giving up on the game and stopping commentary during the first half..

*hopes the game is on ITV*

titan18 wrote: »
    Uruguay lost to them twice in qualification.I'm pretty sure any team too would rather play South Korea/Nigeria/Greece instead of Argentina.

No doubt they are the best team in Group B, but I don't think their defence is by any means convincing, and these two teams could expose that!

It probably won't matter anyway because France won't win their last game.

They are hopeless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Any permutations that could lead to South Africa qualifying?

(hopefully not).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I hope Uruguay come second and they face Argentina in the KO16.

Red Card central.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,210 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

bonerm wrote: »
    Any permutations that could lead to South Africa qualifying?

(hopefully not).

Well basically South Africa must beat France to have a chance at finishing 2nd in their group, but must make up the 6 goal difference with Uruguay, or 5 goal difference with Mexico. Bafana Bafana must also hope that the Uruguay - Mexico game doesn't end in a draw.

jebforever wrote: »
    Well basically South Africa must beat France to have a chance at finishing 2nd in their group, but must make up the 6 goal difference with Uruguay, or 5 goal difference with Mexico. Bafana Bafana must also hope that the Uruguay - Mexico game doesn't end in a draw.

Do you not have to factor in that Uru have to beat Mex (rather than the other way round) because SAf lost to Uru and drew with Mex?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

jebforever wrote: »

I think it goes down to head to head does it not? in which case, SA would like Uruguay to win?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Nothing.

Actually it wasn't a draw and it wasn't in 74 either. It was in 82 and after Germany scored the 1:0 both teams kicked the ball around in midfield for the remainder of the match as a draw would have seen Germany out or a higher result would have seen Austria out while that 1:0 did both teams just fine. This was possible because both teams knew the result of the other game. After that the FIFA changed the rules as now the last games of the group stages are being played at the same time. Cant remember who played the other game think it was Algeria who was cheated out of a last 16 place. Was a disgrace really.

Boskowski wrote: »
    Actually it wasn't a draw and it wasn't in 74 either. It was in 82 and after Germany scored the 1:0 both teams kicked the ball around in midfield for the remainder of the match as a draw would have seen Germany out or a higher result would have seen Austria out while that 1:0 did both teams just fine. This was possible because both teams knew the result of the other game. After that the FIFA changed the rules as now the last games of the group stages are being played at the same time. Cant remember who played the other game think it was Algeria who was cheated out of a last 16 place. Was a disgrace really.

All three teams ended on 4 points (2 for a win of course back then), but Algeria had the worst goal difference!

Definitely the best team to go out in the first round in 82, albeit in controversial circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I seem to remember Denmark and Sweden drawing (Euro 2004?) and towards the end the goalkeepers were literally just kicking the ball from one end to the other.

True but that was just in injury time after Sweden had equalised in last minute. I watched that game and there was absolutely no way that both teams played for a 2-2 draw to knock Italy out, but it was quite funny to see the Italian conspiracy theories afterwards :D I've often wondered how the hell they would have sorted that mess out if it had ended 1-1, all 3 teams with the exact same records. The drawing of lots I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Hope France win 5-0 and then see Mexico and Uraguay just tap the ball back to one another for whole 90 minutes for most boring 0-0 game on planet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Hope France win 5-0 and then see Mexico and Uraguay just tap the ball back to one another for whole 90 minutes for most boring 0-0 game on planet

mexico equalizing in the 94th minute of a game with no stoppages through a diving hand ball after france winning 5-0 would be kinda funny too tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Columbia wrote: »
    I would absolutely love it if Uruguay and Mexico sat around making daisy chains in the centre circle for 90 minutes.
    Then the 91th minute one of the Mexican players got up and thumped the ball and scored making it 1-0 Mexico and Uruguay go out and we start WW3... T'would be great craic in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

If it happens all of France and Platini will be calling for suspensions, replays, teams to be suspended etc....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

FatherTed wrote: »
    If it happens all of France and Platini will be calling for suspensions, replays, teams to be suspended etc....

Platini can go fook himself.

Wheel always turns

Justice!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Yeah i think most Irish fans are happy France lost tonight mainly because of FIFA and to be precise Blatter and Platini in particular, they are just ignorant to smaller nations and for that I for one salute you Mexico.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Honestly I think it's a lot of bull. Fair enough Ireland got hard done by and Irish fans have every right to be pissy. But at the end of the day that's football the decision on the night has to stand otherwise you'd ruin the game. There's no point slatin FIFA over this simple fact. If anyone is to blame it's Thierry Henry and the French team since they dont even seem to care that much. But you may call Henry every name under the sun, if Keane had done it I'm sure a lot of people would say 'ah sure isn't he a cute whore?' And also that's just the way football has gone. Too much riding on it to be fair and honest about it.

Best to get over it now because eventually it will just make people look silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

Whatever happened to playing to win and fair play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

So any more theories? Personally I think Mexico have nothing to lose by going for the win because Uruguay will probably sit back and defend anyway (like they did against France) to get the point. And even if Uruguay score on the counter-attack Mexico will probably go through anyway.

Maybe wait for half-time, if Uruguay are defending and France are doing bad, then go for the win in the second half.

Or even better, make a deal with Uruguay to draw, and then with five minutes left surprise them by suddenly going for the win.:D

Fingers crossed for a South Africa win and a big win either way in the other game. It'd be nice to get the hosts thru and dump France into last place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

While it would be nice to see SA get through - and I hope they dick France - I wouldn't want them through at the expense of Mexico or Uruguay, who have both been entertaining and will be a decent addition to the knock-out stages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭mathie

Dean820 wrote: »
    Whatever happened to playing to win ...

That's still alive...
    Dean820 wrote: »
    ... and fair play?

...that's with Henry in the grave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

RTE are obviously convinced theres gonna be a gentlemans agreement for a draw, since they're showing the France game instead. Would be some kind of justice I suppose if France went out like that, but Platini can whinge all he wants - nothing in the rules that say 2 teams cant "take it easy" against each other in a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

No guarantee of a France win anyway with half the team threatening not to show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Mental_Legend

Let France be number 17 in the knockout phases! :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement